DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question about minimum distance from fireworks display.

Aquaelie

Reactions
Hello. A question arose from a fellow pilot of mine asking how far must a drone be away from a air space where fireworks will be displayed in the air? Are there usually TFRs in place in the airspace where fireworks will be shooting off?

The TL;DR is that it doesn't exist.

There is no minimum distance. You can technically fly straight through the exploding fireworks, although doing so is potentially hazardous. Multiple videos of that type you can find on youtube but I won't put any specific one here. There are generally not TFRs for that type of event as the airspace falls under the jurisdiction of the FAA which would have to issue them.

Of course, if you are flying near fireworks that would usually imply flying at night, so make sure to be using a strobe and take extra precautions, since it carries additional risks over "regular" daytime flights.

There is no minimum distance. You can technically fly straight through the exploding fireworks, although doing so is potentially hazardous. Multiple videos of that type you can find on youtube but I won't put any specific one here. There are generally not TFRs for that type of event as the airspace falls under the jurisdiction of the FAA which would have to issue them.

Of course, if you are flying near fireworks that would usually imply flying at night, so make sure to be using a strobe and take extra precautions, since it carries additional risks over "regular" daytime flights.
Great info. I appreciate your feedback on my concern.

Provided there's no NOTAMs in effect

Assuming the fireworks are an advertised event, that would be a no-go up here. No idea what the FAA rules are about that, but it might be worth checking.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne