DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Filming the Taj Mahal in India

DJI DelBoy

Reactions
I know it's probably not permitted (I haven't Googled it yet) but has anybody done any filming of the Taj Mahal with their Mavic and gotten away with it? And what's entering India with a drone like? Any complications? I know the authorities there like a good bribe or two.

Why are they so uptight about people wanting to film the Taj Mahal? Surely with a range of several km you can fly in and out undetected? Even filming inside the grounds with a mobile phone or any device that can record is an issue. On another note that was dumb of him to be so close to where he was actually flying his drone.

Taken from Wiki:

The Taj Mahal was designated as a UNESCOWorld Heritage Site in 1983 for being "the jewel of Muslim art in India and one of the universally admired masterpieces of the world's heritage". It is regarded by many as the best example of Mughal architecture and a symbol of India's rich history. The Taj Mahal attracts 7–8 million visitors a year. In 2007, it was declared a winner of the New7Wonders of the World (2000–2007) initiative.

It's obvious why they don't want drones buzzing round it.

Some of these places around the world are sacred places of worship and have stood for 1000's of years.

Just like places where they ask not to use flash photography so as not to damage age old artifacts, you'll see people flashing away because it's "their right" to have that picture.
And so you'll get drone pilots racing around these buildings, getting as close to fragile structures as they can.

Sometimes, some things should just be there to see. That way, future generations can enjoy them too.

Reactions: Callum
There's a section in Ernest K Gann's autobiographical book, Fate Is The Hunter, where due to a misunderstanding over fuel levels Gann almost demolishes the Taj Mahal with an overweight C-87.

If you have any interest in flight I can highly recommend the book. It is my all time favourite.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fate-Hunte...1517388160&sr=1-1&keywords=fate+is+the+hunter

I have had it on my shelf for years. Hair-raising story. Also, "The Seasoning" in the same book, about an ice encounter.

Reactions: Mission North
Why are they so uptight about people wanting to film the Taj Mahal? Surely with a range of several km you can fly in and out undetected? Even filming inside the grounds with a mobile phone or any device that can record is an issue. On another note that was dumb of him to be so close to where he was actually flying his drone.

I'll try to explain this. The Taj Majal is an irreplaceable object of great pride, history, and almost limitless cultural value to its host country. There are professional people paid good salaries to preserve and protect it from any conceivable threat, and part of their job is to conceive of threats and countermeasures. I doubt you would be allowed to drive your car anywhere near it. A nearby flying object could only be seen as a threat. I would expect them to try to bring it down by any means possible, and to expend a lot of effort to track you down as well. Neither you nor your drone would be viewed as having any cultural value in this context, but you could try to convince them of your innocent intentions.

I think the problem is that some people do not stop and bother to think about the consequences, nor do they have foresight to think about what COULD go wrong. Or they do, and they just ignore it. Either way, they just want to live in the moment and do what they want, which is a problem in itself, but it becomes a true problem when things finally do go wrong and a whole group suffers from the actions of the foolish few.

Filming with a camera is allowed if you have the camera inspected, but they certainly don't want 1-3 lb drones smashing into things if they lose control.

Last edited:
With more of 40,000 visitors a day, it's not a good place to fly! I was there last week... Even filming with a video camera is prohibited...

I’ve been, and it’s a wonderful place. I went before phones had cameras, and before everyone experienced the world through a screen (despite the fact they were there).

Go, take it in directly. You’ll enjoy it much more.

I have been also and the Taj is a very special place on this planet (IMO). It is also surrounded by other sacred places and if you want to fly a drone over it, you are asking for a huge amount of trouble.

I have been also and the Taj is a very special place on this planet (IMO). It is also surrounded by other sacred places and if you want to fly a drone over it, you are asking for a huge amount of trouble.
India is not a country you want to spend time in a cell.

Was at the Taj Mahal in December. No Drones signs posted everywhere. Suspect they would try to bring any drone down. Lots of guards with guns. Pretty sure they would make concerted effort to find owner and deal with them. Wouldn't risk it.

With more of 40,000 visitors a day, it's not a good place to fly! I was there last week... Even filming with a video camera is prohibited...

Im from India. And i understand drones might pose a threat. But why video would be banned is a strange one. Its already been photographed and shown left right and centre on television and youtube. Will filming it on your mobile make the Taj Mahal weaker as a structure ?

Reactions: DJI DelBoy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada