DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Filter help

ry4n5

Reactions
First off, sorry for another topic on this. I've been searching this site and others and wasn't able to find what I was looking for - if I missed it, I apologize.

I just bought a Mavic Air, it's my first drone. I'm not planning on using it professionally, but want to hit that sweet spot of plug and play use (I'll be honest with myself - I'm not going to land and reorient a PL 5 times while shooting 20 minutes of footage) and still getting really solid results.

The main thing I bought it for is an upcoming fishing trip this summer, I want to be able to capture some really cool footage of a special trip as a present for my dad. My intended use will mainly be over water and in/near forest pretty much any time from sun rise to sunset, cloudy to bright midday sun with no clouds. I have a basic understanding of filters and what they do. I plan on getting a set from PolarPro, but don't know if their standard Cinema Series pack is right for me. It has ND4, 8 & 16 along with ND4/PL, 8 & 16. I've read some things that make it seem like I should be adding a ND32 to my collection, but really don't want to spend more than the $150 for a 6 pack. Should I add a ND32 and drop one of the others - the ND4/PL maybe? Or would the ND32 be overkill for me? Ideally I'd like the best possible results without having to do a lot of color correcting, etc. after.

Thanks in advance!

You can buy individual filters from Polarpro, for a bright sunny day I use a nd32/pl that takes the shutter speed down to about 1/40sec the polarizing will enable you to reduce the reflection on glass and water.

DJI Mavic Air - Single Filters

Don’t cheap out. Go with polars. For water, the vivid collection is must.

Thanks for the replies. My thought was to do the "make your own" six pack that they offer:

6 Pack Bundle

I figured the ND4, ND8, ND16, ND8/PL and ND16/PL are 5 of the 6, but then I didn't know if I'd be better off doing the ND32 instead of the ND4/PL. The chart on their FAQ doesn't mention a ND4/PL. So I'm really just trying to decide which of those last two filters would be the better choice.

Thanks for the replies. My thought was to do the "make your own" six pack that they offer:

6 Pack Bundle

I figured the ND4, ND8, ND16, ND8/PL and ND16/PL are 5 of the 6, but then I didn't know if I'd be better off doing the ND32 instead of the ND4/PL. The chart on their FAQ doesn't mention a ND4/PL. So I'm really just trying to decide which of those last two filters would be the better choice.
In any bright light I think the ND4 is a waste

I hate to say it but you need the full scope. I have the six you listed and do use ND4 in reg and PL. I always want to stay close to the rule and take the time to plan my shots.

I will be ordering the 32 and 64 in both ND and NDPL as well

I don't disagree. But, I do plan on shooting some sunrise and sunset footage as I had mentioned. If I understand correctly, the ND4 would be good in those conditions.
Do some research as well. Not all these filters are equal, some have different colour hue's, it looks like the Freewell and Polar Pro are the better of them at this stage. Polar Pro have just released a gradient filter which I will be trying out.

PGYTECH or Freewell are excellent and cheaper than the polar pro ones. Unless you are shooting fast motion stuff, you don't need a filter on. Make sure you do get a ND32/64 as on sunny days you will need them.

The ND4 is probably the only one you can get by without but even then it is commonly used for sunrise/sunset if shutter speed is not flexible.

Roughly speaking for 30fps / 1/60

ND4 - Sunrise / sunset

ND8 - Cloudy/overcast with sun above; sunny with dark landscapes

ND16 - Sunny / Full sun

ND32 - Full sun in tropical or especially bright climates, high noon, bright sun over water, sun over snow or light coloured landscapes.

Some people have reported needing to use ND64 in certain situations but IMO those would be few and far between for most users.

The PL filters are going to of course take the reflections off water, foliage, etc. Polarizers usually also have a side effect of warming/enhancing colours.

ND8 and ND16 were by far my most used. For your diverse range of desired shooting conditions I would get ND8, ND16, ND32 at a minimum and I would add a ND16PL or ND32PL since you are far more likely to want a PL when it is bright out. Just my opinion.

Freewell All Day filter pack has 8 filters: ND4, ND8, ND16, ND8PL, ND16PL, ND32PL, ND64PL and a CPL - This covers everything and at a reasonable price.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhench95