DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Filter question

McCune Drone

Reactions
When we fly during this time of the year, we are getting that our images are washed out, concrete and asphalt almost totally white. Is there a filter that would help with this problem and if so what one? We have a Mavic 2 pro and we fly for topography, so the camera on the drone is pointing straight down. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

When we fly during this time of the year, we are getting that our images are washed out, concrete and asphalt almost totally white. Is there a filter that would help with this problem and if so what one? We have a Mavic 2 pro and we fly for topography, so the camera on the drone is pointing straight down. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Except for maybe a polarizer set correctly for a little help,no filter should be needed om the M2P if the exposure can be set correctly.Any daytime scene can be properly exposed.If the asphalt is dominant and black it will mislead your camera and overexpose and make the asphalt come out middle gray and the concrete near white.Try 5 stop bracketing in the settings and see what happens.If you point a camera at a blank wall of any color light or dark it will try to make the wall come out middle tone.

Reactions: McCune Drone
Yes, your problem is overexposure, or auto exposure compensating for black / dark bitumen (asphalt) vs white concrete type of opposites.
Filters are of no use except a PL if it's more reflective, like off wet surfaces, then a PL might help.

It's probably more likely to be simple exposure settings, maybe try manual exposure setting, the M2 has the great ability to adjust aperture and shutter speed, make sure iso is on 100 for normal outdoor use.

A couple of Go4 tools that may help are the histogram and overexposure warning . . .
Both explained in the manual or Go4 manual, or some great tutorials on Youtube, search there for Mavic 2 pro histogram / overexposure warning / bracketing . . . etc type of keywords.

Thank you all. We are still working to try to figure this out. I really appreciate the help.
The solution is to find the cause of the issue.
If you post one of your full-size original jpg images, that will have metadata to show the settings used and how to fix the issue.

Here is one.
The reason the pix are overexposed is that you've got the exposure compensation set to +2.0.
That's adjusting the exposure settings to 2 stops more than the camera's metering thinks would be correct.

Look for the line of camera data on your screen and notice under EV, it's showing +2.0.
You need to dial that back to 0 or even -0.3 and your exposure will be fine.
EV.jpg

How do you find the metadata on the posted picture?
Every image recorded by the DJI cameras (and most other digital cameras) contains metadata in the digital file.
You can read it with lots of software

Every image recorded by the DJI cameras (and most other digital cameras) contains metadata in the digital file.
You can read it with lots of software
Thanks.I did download it to Apple Photos and found the metadata there.A question:The DNG file from an M2P file is about 40 MB while the ORF/Raw from an Olympus 4/3 sensor is 18-20 MB.The 4/3 sensor is of course larger and the MPX count is the same at 20 so why would the M2P file be double the size?

Thanks I really appreciate the help. Can you tell me more about that software?
Photoshop and other image processing software will show you the basics and some others will show all the metadata.
Google Exif viewer and you'll see a selection of alternatives.

Reactions: McCune Drone
Thanks.I did download it to Apple Photos and found the metadata there.A question:The DNG file from an M2P file is about 40 MB while the ORF/Raw from an Olympus 4/3 sensor is 18-20 MB.The 4/3 sensor is of course larger and the MPX count is the same at 20 so why would the M2P file be double the size?
Good question ... I don't know the answer.

Photoshop and other image processing software will show you the basics and some others will show all the metadata.
Google Exif viewer and you'll see a selection of alternatives.
Irfanview is a great photo and video viewer/basic editor that can display the EXIF information. It's free from irfanview.com. PC only, no IOS version. I've used it for years.

Reactions: mobilehomer
Believe it or not I use infraview on a daily basis and have for years also. Didn't know that it could give me that information.
I'm an civil/land/survey drafter. My wife and I decided to expand our business got into the drone work.

Believe it or not I use infraview on a daily basis and have for years also. Didn't know that it could give me that information.
I'm an civil/land/survey drafter. My wife and I decided to expand our business got into the drone work.
Click Image | Info from the top menu and then look for the EXIF Info button.

What sort of drone work are you doing?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael Greece