Welcome Mavic Pilot!
Jump in and join our free DJI Mavic community today!

Filters

Sveinn Björnsson

Reaction score
I am a new owner to Mavic 2 Zoom :) What filters do you recomment for rivers and lakes,the water is very clear but the sun can be a problem.

msinger

DJI Drone Expert
Approved Vendor
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Loc
Harrisburg, PA (US)
Polarized (PL) filters would be the best option if you want to cut reflection from the surface of the water. Brand-wise, any of the brands in this list would be a good buy.

Reactions: ff22

CanadaDrone

Reaction score
Polarized (PL) filters would be the best option if you want to cut reflection from the surface of the water. Brand-wise, any of the brands in this list would be a good buy.
I think it's very important to qualify that recommendation - with polarizers your footage will become uneven and change any time you change the direction of the drone, and therefore it's angle to the sun. For most people they are not a good choice as they require a pre-planned flight path and you cannot change direction, again unless you are OK with uneven footage, somewhat defeating the purpose. If you set it up properly, yes there will be a very specific flight path you can use to take the reflection off the water. They are definitely not something you want to use as a general filter or just leave on and fly around as normal.

My advice would be to buy regular NDs, 8/16/32 and add a PL for fun later if you still want one after you fully understand how they work and their limitations on drones.

More thorough explanation here: M2P ND Filters...Do I need regular ND filters, if I get the corresponding ND/PL shades?

Reactions: ff22

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjrmurph