DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Finally an upgrade worth talking about!

Yes, the in-drone stitching for 25-image 1X panos uses the jpg files. I'm using jpgs for these stitching attempts. I didn't shoot dngs. It looks like an either/or choice between jpg and dng for the 3X pano originals; no option for both.

I don't think there's a processor power limitation, but Lightroom having difficulties. It may be having problems with too many shots of featureless blue sky. It stopped and reported 106 of 106 files can't be processed. (I'm running a Dell XPs17 Intel i9-10885H CPU @ 2.40GHz with 64 gigs of RAM.)

I can put the files up on Dropbox if you'd like to try stitching them. Just under 1.3 gb.
Eliminate the relatively useless top row of featureless sky and try again with the remaining rows. Might also just try for a 180 pano to lower the number of total images to be stitched, in case it is a file size issue.

DJI claims Photoshop should be able to stitch the full 360, along with PTGui.

IMG_2472.jpeg

Last edited:
Lens quality and video profiles (i.e. Dlog-M) are two completely different things and absolutely unrelated to each other
True, but I'm not a huge fan of the stock color profile on the 7x, so I suspect I will be happier with the results I get from the 7x now that I can shoot in Dlog-M, since it gives a bit more flexibility to compensate for the mediocre lens/sensor.

PTGUI does an amazing fast job of stitching, often patching together a group of images that Lightroom fails to stitch. It’s much faster than LR and offers more options for the perspective. I’m guessing it will handle 106 images but have tried it.

PTGUI does an amazing fast job of stitching, often patching together a group of images that Lightroom fails to stitch. It’s much faster than LR and offers more options for the perspective. I’m guessing it will handle 106 images but have tried it.
Want to give it a try? I can share a set of 106 pano images with you. I'd be curious to see what you find out.

$200 Standard $400 Pro..Quite expensive software.

They want you to spend more $$$$$
I get that part but they implemented all the improvements to both but not the Dlog-M to 7x. That is what I do not get. They could well left M3 completely behind but they did not. They only left out the Dlog-M for 7x camera. Go figure...

Having experimented this evening with the 3x camera spherical pano function, and having compared it to the 1x pano taken from the same location, the resolution of the 3x pano is strikingly sharper.

The 106 images take 3.5 minutes to shoot with the 3x camera.
That's a long time to be hovering, if anyone else notices the drone!
However, since you can fly much higher and still get better detail than with the 1x, this may be the best solution. At 400' it is unnoticeable. At 200', it is still easily seen and heard during the 3.5 minutes. Watch out for Karens! One tracked me down tonight!

The 1x spherical pano takes just over 1 minute and includes a HiRes 75MB stitch.
That was my reference image.
I eliminated the useless top row of 18 images of the 106, and stitched the remaining 88 images in PanoramaStudio 3 Pro ($89) from Buy | PanoramaStudio Panorama Software
I reduced the final jpg output to 80% quality to get the file size just under 500MB.
Worked seamlessly!
Here is an identical crop from each of the panos.
Top one is from the 1x pano
Bottom one is from the 3x pano.
The roof deck over the house is 1,000 feet away, roughly 2 blocks.
That kind of detail in every direction is very impressive!
No wonder the Karens are worried! LOL!

IMG_2740.jpeg

IMG_2741.jpeg

Last edited:
The detail jump from 1x to 3x is not just a bump, it's order of magnitude increased detail. I may have to grab PanoramaStudio 3 Pro just for this single purpose. Amazing.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Having experimented this evening with the 3x camera spherical pano function, and having compared it to the 1x pano taken from the same location, the resolution of the 3x pano is strikingly sharper.

The 106 images take 3.5 minutes to shoot with the 3x camera.
That's a long time to be hovering, if anyone else notices the drone!
However, since you can fly much higher and still get better detail than with the 1x, this may be the best solution. At 400' it is unnoticeable. At 200', it is still easily seen and heard during the 3.5 minutes. Watch out for Karens! One tracked me down tonight!

The 1x spherical pano takes just over 1 minute and includes a HiRes 75MB stitch.
That was my reference image.
I eliminated the useless top row of 18 images of the 106, and stitched the remaining 88 images in PanoramaStudio 3 Pro ($89) from Buy | PanoramaStudio Panorama Software
I reduced the final jpg output to 80% quality to get the file size just under 500MB.
Worked seamlessly!
Here is an identical crop from each of the panos.
Top one is from the 1x pano
Bottom one is from the 3x pano.
The roof deck over the house is 1,000 feet away, roughly 2 blocks.
That kind of detail in every direction is very impressive!
No wonder the Karens are worried! LOL!

View attachment 167923

View attachment 167922
What happens with PanoramaStudio If you use all 106 images?

I didn't get around to trying it last night, as there is nothing of interest in that top row of 18 images of detail-less sky. I hope DJI realizes it, too, and eventually eliminates it from the current 106 images captured, reducing them to 88 images. It would save 17% or 36 seconds of the capture time, getting it to under 3 minutes.

At least give us the option to choose whether or not a top row is necessary. If shooting from below tops of buildings, it definitively has some usefulness, but not at the expense of every other spherical pano with empty sky.

However, I'll try it tonight on all 106 and report back.

Shouldn’t be a problem for PanoramaStudio, but it will necessarily reduce the stitched jpg quality in the lower 88 images, as I will have to reduce the jpg quality to well below 80% to keep the file size below 500MB with 18 more images included. PanoramaStudio can easily create files larger than 500MB but they must be immediately saved to disk, rather than staying saved in memory, until deliberately saved as an image or interactive HTML files.

Reactions: MS Coast
The detail jump from 1x to 3x is not just a bump, it's order of magnitude increased detail. I may have to grab PanoramaStudio 3 Pro just for this single purpose. Amazing.
Imagine what level of detail the 7x telephoto can achieve in a pano! I've played with it manually. Even a square of 3x3 images or 4x4 or a rectangle of 3 rows of 9 images produces incredible detail, with wonderful telephoto compression of the depth!

PanoramaStudio 3 Pro offers lots of additional included tools, including mapping of the panos, and showing the field of view on a map as you zoom in and out on the HTML output for web use. The panos can then be hyperlinked to each other on the map, like a virtual flight, jumping from location to location, and getting a current Google Earth type view as you look around within the pano, but with much more detail!

Used all 106 images tonight, and it generated an error message because of the lack of detail for stitching, and offered to use metadata instead. Accepting that option created the full pano but created a stitching error in the main image, which disappears with the 88 image stitch. I also had to reduce the JPG quality to 77% to get under 500MB.

So, unless you actually have detail for stitching in the top row, I still recommend eliminating those 18 images before stitching, and cloning in additional sky, if you want it to replace them, and need a full ceiling. PanoramaStudio doesn't require a full 180° vertical to create its interactive HTML files, unlike other programs and websites that display spherical panos with black holes at the top instead, or cannot accept anything less than 360°x180°.

IMG_2785.jpeg

Reactions: MS Coast
With PTGUI, my M2 Macbook Pro created a preview in 23 seconds. It couldn't get control points for the clear blue sky photos on the left, but once I removed those, it stitched the pano into a 350MB jpg in about a minute. Obviously this is shrunk waaaaay down, but you can see what it ended up with. (I also didn't take the time to adjust the control points with the horizon on the left).

Also, all the .jpgs were stitched from a 4TB external SSD on Thunderbolt4 and not my local drive.

PANO0001 Panorama.jpg

The Dlog-M on the Telezoom is long overdue!

DJI Mavic 3 Series Firmware Update - It Can Do WHAT?!
Everybody needs to go in and check their settings. Many have been reset.
Also after uploading I noticed that my right stick was not working right. (It would move and climb when it should have just backed up. Returned to the ground and shut it all down. On restart it was good 👍 👌 made a short flight to check settings. Looks good now

With PTGUI, my M2 Macbook Pro created a preview in 23 seconds. It couldn't get control points for the clear blue sky photos on the left, but once I removed those, it stitched the pano into a 350MB jpg in about a minute. Obviously this is shrunk waaaaay down, but you can see what it ended up with. (I also didn't take the time to adjust the control points with the horizon on the left).

Also, all the .jpgs were stitched from a 4TB external SSD on Thunderbolt4 and not my local drive.

View attachment 167969
Wow, that's extremely quick processing. Thanks. I may have to take another look at PTGUI.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Baima