DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Finally an upgrade worth talking about!

Saw your video this morning. Good job explaining the new features. I have a Classic, so I don't get the camera upgrades. The Vision Assist is OK. I do like the AR Home Point indicator and the AR RTH path. Probably will never turn off DVP. But there are LOTS of people who want the option. GREAT news for ALL Mavic 3 owners.

Reactions: Svend51
I've flown two 20-minute+ flights with the new firmware on the Mavic 3 Pro and RC Pro. No problems. No glitches. No worries.

I'm eager to see what a 106-image 3X 360 degree panorama looks like. Stitching may require some new thinking.

Vision assist is interesting and may have some applications for people doing close-up flying, as in structure inspections.

The ability to disable landing protection will probably result in some hard landings for those who chose to disable it.

No. Too much computing power required. Lightroom choked on a pretty hot Dell laptop when I tried processing a 106-image panorama.
Internally it just uses the jpgs though? Significantly less power required for that (although the quality is less). I don't think my M2 Macbook Pro would even blink with 106 jpgs. Really the only time I have processing issues with big RAW panos in lightroom is when I'm missing images or it's having a hard time finding control points.

Yeah that's pretty cool where you can pin the OA camera in the corner of the screen and as you turn the drone, the view will automatically shift to the others cameras.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Internally it just uses the jpgs though? Significantly less power required for that (although the quality is less). I don't think my M2 Macbook Pro would even blink with 106 jpgs. Really the only time I have processing issues with big RAW panos in lightroom is when I'm missing images or it's having a hard time finding control points.

Yes, the in-drone stitching for 25-image 1X panos uses the jpg files. I'm using jpgs for these stitching attempts. I didn't shoot dngs. It looks like an either/or choice between jpg and dng for the 3X pano originals; no option for both.

I don't think there's a processor power limitation, but Lightroom having difficulties. It may be having problems with too many shots of featureless blue sky. It stopped and reported 106 of 106 files can't be processed. (I'm running a Dell XPs17 Intel i9-10885H CPU @ 2.40GHz with 64 gigs of RAM.)

I can put the files up on Dropbox if you'd like to try stitching them. Just under 1.3 gb.

Last edited:
Yeah that's pretty cool where you can pin the OA camera in the corner of the screen and as you turn the drone, the view will automatically shift to the others cameras.
Also nice that you can now move from map to attitude indicator/compass to OA cam by swiping instead of tapping the tiny icon in the corner of the box.

Now that Skydio is out of consumer business, wouldn't mind if DJI "borrowed" some of the better features including....

RTH look like these:

I wouldn't be surprise if this feature found it way into Waypoints just like Skydio was using in Keyframes; the part where you can see the path and the waypoints on the screen in real time:

Reactions: Suren and GadgetGuy
is there a way to disable the drone from creating a jpeg? takes forever and wastes battery power.

Reactions: jephoto
Even a 25 shot 360 takes a couple of minutes to stitch, where the drone is mostly useless. So I imagine 106 images will take a good 5 minutes at least.
To be fair, Mavic 3 takes 75 seconds total for a 360: 45 seconds to shoot the 26 images and another 30 seconds to stitch them. That's only 30 seconds for processing the resulting 75MB HiRes stitch.

However, 106 images would still overwhelm the processor.
Keep in mind that you can also create any combination of smaller angle stitches from those 106 images, in LR or PS, because it has captured the full 360° view at all elevations. You don't have to use all 106 at once! Find out how many of 106 they can handle at once. PTGui and PanoramaStudio 3 Pro can both handle 106 images.

is there a way to disable the drone from creating a jpeg? takes forever and wastes battery power.
If you mean the stitch, it won't and can't stitch the 106 images, so no worries. It just shoots them for you.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanillasky