DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Finally using iPad mini 4 with cellular

slkfis

Reactions
I am now flying using the Mini with no Sim Card and of course I have questions. I have only flown a few times due to weather, mostly high winds.

But when flying I can not get the map to come up. Just a grid with my home spot and it will show a flight track but no streets or anything like my Samsung Tab S without a Sim Card did.

The response and pictures are really good and I love it.

I fly about 4 miles "as the drone flies" from a local Class G airport. The manager says it's one step above dirt. He has no problem with where we fly. Just use "common sense".

When I start up I get the airport warning that says I except the responsibility. Normally I tap yes and it goes away, today it would not go away and as I would tap yes it would bring up a white block with the word Private. it also had a x in the top right corner. When I tapped it I would go back to the Warning screen.

I finally flew with no problems except for the white box in the center of the screen.

Any ideas as how to solve these programs. By the way the Mini is my first Apple product so I'm some what lost there also.

To make things worse my Laptop died and I had to get a new one so I am trying to adjust to Win. 10 from Win 7. My weak brain is scrambled!

thxs
slkfis

Reactions: chankc28
If you have no cellular service and you are not connected to WIFI, there is no way for the app to pull the map data from the Internet.

Reactions: slkfis
Maybe you can hotspot your phone and connect the mini to that, i actually use a 3g myfi

You can cache the map at home on WiFi or hotspot
Like this...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Looks as though I misunderstood some previous posts about the iPad M4. If had understood the need to connect to wi fi for maps I could have bought the wi fi version and saved money. I know for a fact that when I flew with the Samsung Tab S I had no cellular service and I have never used a hotspot.

Has anyone had the airport warning problem I asked about?

Oh well live and learn ---some times.
thxs
slkfis

Looks as though I misunderstood some previous posts about the iPad M4. If had understood the need to connect to wi fi for maps I could have bought the wi fi version and saved money. I know for a fact that when I flew with the Samsung Tab S I had no cellular service and I have never used a hotspot.

thxs
slkfis

The iPad 4 Mini with Cellular gives you a GPS, you would still need service if you want to use live maps, etc..

I have service through Tello.com the rates are very affordable.

Ah the sneaky GPS, I had forgot that. Now I feel better. All I need to do is use $150.00 worth of Follow Me and I will be even.

thxs to all the repliers.
slkfis

Reactions: JMF and Lopez0015

thxs
slkfis
I haven't read every reply but I got a data only sim, for £15 a month but I'm OK with that. What to my fury, I didn't get was my mini ipad 4 which was promised for delivery today. Then found out someone had messed up, not put the order through properly and Curry's said I'd have to wait till Tuesday, so I cancelled the order - took an hour to do that too saying they couldn't or the system wouldn't let them refund my money on stock the store hadn't received, took an hour to sort this out. Wasn't waiting till Tuesday, when John Lewis guarantee next day collection. Only went into Curry's for a sim card, and got talked into ordering one from there. Put me off them has that, stick to John Lewis. Now all I want is for it to stop raining!

I haven't read every reply but I got a data only sim, for £15 a month but I'm OK with that. What to my fury, I didn't get was my mini ipad 4 which was promised for delivery today. Then found out someone had messed up, not put the order through properly and Curry's said I'd have to wait till Tuesday, so I cancelled the order - took an hour to do that too saying they couldn't or the system wouldn't let them refund my money on stock the store hadn't received, took an hour to sort this out. Wasn't waiting till Tuesday, when John Lewis guarantee next day collection. Only went into Curry's for a sim card, and got talked into ordering one from there. Put me off them has that, stick to John Lewis. Now all I want is for it to stop raining!
I only pay about £30 for a years use of up to 12GB of 4G data. Checkout Amazon or 7dayshop.

Reactions: FL1H1

thxs
slkfis

Appears using Apple is the problem .

Especially as you mentioned had zero probs using Samsung prior with no sim.

I use a Samsung S8+ for my Mavic Air Cntr Display ... switched to Airplane mode disconnects mobile network .
Maps continue without a hitch street names etc .
Secret is GPS Google Maps working independently from need of mobile network.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
earthflute