DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Finally We Have Precision Landing

I never understood the fuss about this. I've never NOT had "Precision Landing" capability with my M2P. I can land within a centimeter or two every single time. Even closer in Tripod mode.

Reactions: dylanthecat
I never understood the fuss about this. I've never NOT had "Precision Landing" capability with my M2P. I can land within a centimeter or two every single time. Even closer in Tripod mode.
As they say, "To each his own." No biggie, everybody doesn't have to like the same things. Just have fun is what I say.

Reactions: YorkshirePaul
More the question, did he LAND with app/RTH or with sticks? Prior to .200, RTH was typically a few feet off the mark.
Precision landing is completely automated, so if I used the sticks it would have been a manual landing. Seems like this would be obvious so I apologize if that's not what you were asking.

The reason I asked is because I always launch manually using the sticks. However, I don't typically lift-off straight up (90°), I often lift-off at a 45° angle—go up about 1 foot and then fly forward and up. I don't believe PL would get an accurate recording of where the exact home point is when I do that.

It doesn't really matter to me. I was just curious as to if the launch profile (45°) would not work for PL. I don't use PL at all. I prefer to fly my own aircraft (launching and landing).

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
This is a test to make sure it actually works.
I cant get it to work , can you tell me how to get it to work. I don't have the percision landing option and I have the most up to date firmware

I cant get it to work , can you tell me how to get it to work. I don't have the percision landing option and I have the most up to date firmware

You’ll have to be more specific.

When you say that you "can’t get it to work", what are the symptoms?

How far away does it land from the launch point? Are you pushing the RTH button? How far away is the aircraft when you do push the RTH button?

hello inspector. I always enjoy your utube videos. The app doesn't say precision landing with the M2 like it did on the M1. It just is. It will usually land within 6 inches since the update. it was about 5 feet off before. Of course, I consider any landing without any fatalities a good landing.

Reactions: Gadget Inspector
Is this a terminology problem? Is there any specific "Precision Landing" option or are all RTH's Precision Landings PROVIDED you follow the take-off requirements - take off straight up till about 30 feet and hover for xxx seconds/minutes or until something shows on the screen?

correct. go straight up . so it gets the picture. fly out for a ways. If you hit return to home it will precision land. quite cool.

You’ll have to be more specific.

When you say that you "can’t get it to work", what are the symptoms?

How far away does it land from the launch point? Are you pushing the RTH button? How far away is the aircraft when you do push the RTH button?
if I press return to home it will not land on the landing pad, usually about 1to 3 meters away from the take off spot.

Did you do the latest firmware update? Because that is the one with the p.l. update.

hello inspector. I always enjoy your utube videos. The app doesn't say precision landing with the M2 like it did on the M1. It just is. It will usually land within 6 inches since the update. it was about 5 feet off before. Of course, I consider any landing without any fatalities a good landing.
Yep, it's completely automated. Really nice to have it.

if I press return to home it will not land on the landing pad, usually about 1to 3 meters away from the take off spot.

The old non precision landing uses GPS only which depend on reception or satellite geometry can have an error of 3m or more. You might get lucky, have great conditions and it'll land to within inches, but another time of day or location you won't and it'll be 3m or more out.

This was the original as-shipped mavic 2 system.

The precision landing, just like the other drones uses the optical sensors and cameras to build an accurate map to allow it to adjust its location to cancel out this GPS inaccuracy.

To use it on the M2 you need to do the same things as the Mavic 1. Namely when you take off, you climb vertically to an altitude of about 6m or more without any horizontal movement and ideally without turning. You also need a good contrasty take off zone and good ambient lighting. You do NOT need to hover at all or for any time, simply climbing past the required altitude is enough.
If you do this it has enough data to return with exceptionally good accuracy. If you dont climb that high before moving the drone or the lighting isn't correct then the system is not as accurate.
Most people saying its not working are making the mistake of not taking off and climbing to a sensible altitude initially.

The mavic 1 had an optional auto takeoff slider where it did the above for you. The M2 doesnt so you have to do it manually.

Reactions: cochitiman
The old non precision landing uses GPS only which depend on reception or satellite geometry can have an error of 3m or more. You might get lucky, have great conditions and it'll land to within inches, but another time of day or location you won't and it'll be 3m or more out.

This was the original as-shipped mavic 2 system.

The precision landing, just like the other drones uses the optical sensors and cameras to build an accurate map to allow it to adjust its location to cancel out this GPS inaccuracy.

To use it on the M2 you need to do the same things as the Mavic 1. Namely when you take off, you climb vertically to an altitude of about 6m or more without any horizontal movement and ideally without turning. You also need a good contrasty take off zone and good ambient lighting. You do NOT need to hover at all or for any time, simply climbing past the required altitude is enough.
If you do this it has enough data to return with exceptionally good accuracy. If you dont climb that high before moving the drone or the lighting isn't correct then the system is not as accurate.
Most people saying its not working are making the mistake of not taking off and climbing to a sensible altitude initially.

The mavic 1 had an optional auto takeoff slider where it did the above for you. The M2 doesnt so you have to do it manually.
So I let it take off then fly up about 6 meters and let it hover for a a few seconds it should allow for the precision landing?

So I let it take off then fly up about 6 meters and let it hover for a a few seconds it should allow for the precision landing?

Yes - maybe 20-25 feet or so. I did it three times about a week ago. I did have a landing pad. It needs an area with definition. And expanse of lawn or asphalt does not have distinguishing features.

There are suggestions that you don't even have to hover - just lift straight up fly away.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stormy2024