DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Find my drone

Merrill277

Reactions
I can find my last position I flew my drone just by going to the DJI app, profiles, and find my drone. Try it and see if it works for you too. I know the drone is not there because I have it in my possession. But I can see the last place it flew with a direct line from my phone's location to the drone. I use my phone or in your case, your controller should do the same. Should work whether there is a connection or not, or the drone's battery is dead or not. At that point you can also click on it to get the last pictures taken by your drone to get a clue where it is. If lost, it may be possible that in your advanced settings, you were set to descend upon losing contact with the drone. You should always set it to RTH. A firmware update can change that so check it each time before you fly. The find my drone video will show how you crashed, like for example, you crash into a tree, or descend into a tree, brush or the ground etc. In any case, once you get to the drone using the find my drone feature, you should look in trees, brush etc. It can be up to maybe 20 yards away too. You'll know when you're close because the dot and triangle will go in circles around each other. Best of luck.

Everything works as you describe until I reach your instruction below.

"At that point you can also click on it to get the last pictures taken by your drone to get a clue where it is."

What do I click on to get the last few pictures taken by my Mini 2?
Thanks,
Mike

Everything works as you describe until I reach your instruction below.

"At that point you can also click on it to get the last pictures taken by your drone to get a clue where it is."

What do I click on to get the last few pictures taken by my Mini 2?
Thanks,
Mike
While in the find my drone app on your phone, centered in the map, there should be a small square picture with the play sideways triangle in the middle. Tap on that and it will show you the last video taken by the drone. I have an MA2 but I think the Mini 2 would do the same thing.

While in the find my drone app on your phone, centered in the map, there should be a small square picture with the play sideways triangle in the middle. Tap on that and it will show you the last video taken by the drone. I have an MA2 but I think the Mini 2 would do the same thing.
I forgot to mention too that at the bottom of your find my drone app, when you are close you can tap on "Start Flashing and Beeping" and if it still has battery, the drone will flash and beep to help you find it.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the last bit of video footage doesn't seem to apply to the Mini 2; or my Mini 2 :>( I have the map with the red arrow marking the drones last position, the green line to it from my current position and also the GPS co-ordinates of it's last location but no apparent video box whatsoever. I can see where this would be such a useful feature in helping find a lost drone. I have the very latest DJI Fly App version, 1.6.8
I wonder if any other Mini 2 owners have found this feature somewhere in the App?
Thanks,
Mike

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the last bit of video footage doesn't seem to apply to the Mini 2; or my Mini 2 :>( I have the map with the red arrow marking the drones last position, the green line to it from my current position and also the GPS co-ordinates of it's last location but no apparent video box whatsoever. I can see where this would be such a useful feature in helping find a lost drone. I have the very latest DJI Fly App version, 1.6.8
I wonder if any other Mini 2 owners have found this feature somewhere in the App?
Thanks,
Mike
I don't know. Were you taking videos at the time you lost your drone? This may have something to do with it, but honestly I'm not sure.

Luckily I haven't lost my drone. I just want to know all the features of Find My Drone should that ever happen. Seeing the surroundings it appeared to get lost in would be very valuable. I wasn't taking video on the last flight but I will try that on my next flight and see if there's a difference. My last flight ended with a normal landing; perhaps the App doesn't bother with video footage in that case.

I think it may include the video but perhaps only if you are recording when your drone lands. A couple of nights ago I sent mine up by my house to catch a sunset. Then landed it again. I just checked find my drone on mine and it recorded the drone landing as the last place flown. I did have the video on as I always do. No matter where you flew and recorded last, the find my drone should show your last place flown as the spot to look for it along with the accessible video. If its not showing your last place flown in a video, perhaps the mini 2 doesn't do that. Try flying it again, and recording your landing. Then look at find my drone to see if the video is there. If no video, you might contact DJI about it.

You should always set it to RTH. A firmware update can change that so check it each time before you fly.
Firmware updates will only ever change settings to default values.
RTH is the default setting for Loss of Signal.
Updates won't ever change that to something else.

The find my drone video will show how you crashed, like for example, you crash into a tree, or descend into a tree, brush or the ground etc. In any case, once you get to the drone using the find my drone feature, you should look in trees, brush etc. It can be up to maybe 20 yards away too. You'll know when you're close because the dot and triangle will go in circles around each other.
FMD can only show the last location data that the app received from the drone.
If your drone continued flying after signal was lost, it's not going to show where the drone ended up.

I think it may include the video but perhaps only if you are recording when your drone lands. A couple of nights ago I sent mine up by my house to catch a sunset. Then landed it again. I just checked find my drone on mine and it recorded the drone landing as the last place flown. I did have the video on as I always do. No matter where you flew and recorded last, the find my drone should show your last place flown as the spot to look for it along with the accessible video. If its not showing your last place flown in a video, perhaps the mini 2 doesn't do that. Try flying it again, and recording your landing. Then look at find my drone to see if the video is there. If no video, you might contact DJI about it.
Yes I'll definitely give that a try.

Yes the video will only show you the last thing it saw before going out. But at least it’s a clue.

Reactions: Honk
Hi! It has been 2 weeks now since I crashed my drone onto some trees on a rocky seaside.

Unfortunately, we haven't been able to recover yet.

Sometimes I wonder if I will ever recover if it will be picked up by someone else.

DJI only provides 2 Axes am I right? The bushy Trees and the inclined rocky terrain make it very difficult to Identify the spot although I move back slightly to trace directions from different angles to identify the best spot. But it only gives me Horizontal 2 Axes. If I tilt my mobile 90º degrees It won't show the 3rd Axes.

The accesses to the location can only be done at low tide thus the battery died on me, for the beep sound.

DJI only provides 2 Axes am I right? The bushy Trees and the inclined rocky terrain make it very difficult to Identify the spot although I move back slightly to trace directions from different angles to identify the best spot. But it only gives me Horizontal 2 Axes. If I tilt my mobile 90º degrees It won't show the 3rd Axes.
If you post your recorded flight data, someone will probably be able to find a GPS reference for the crash location and a height relative to your launch point.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.

If you post your recorded flight data, someone will probably be able to find a GPS reference for the crash location and a height relative to your launch point.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.
Yes! Thank you, you are absolutely right. The 2 Axes GPS reference for the crash location and a height relative to the launch point is there. But we don’t carry Dumpy levels around to survey the area, right? I know that the height is 18m and the GPS position at the time of the crash. But I also question, how long after the crash will keep GPS position info after the crash, wind and the fall on the branches could also change parameters if it’s not recorded.
I should have taken a picture and saved it on my Mobile for the 3 Axes info before the power shutdown.
All these ideas only come after the disaster strike, unfortunately.
I hope that DJI will improve the recovery system.

Yes! Thank you, you are absolutely right. The 2 Axes GPS reference for the crash location and a height relative to the launch point is there. But we don’t carry Dumpy levels around to survey the area, right? I know that the height is 18m and the GPS position at the time of the crash. But I also question, how long after the crash will keep GPS position info after the crash, wind and the fall on the branches could also change parameters if it’s not recorded.
I should have taken a picture and saved it on my Mobile for the 3 Axes info before the power shutdown.
All these ideas only come after the disaster strike, unfortunately.
I hope that DJI will improve the recovery system.
Just follow the instructions and post your data and I'll see what extra I might be able to extract.

Just follow the instructions and post your data and I'll see what extra I might be able to extract.
I appreciate your ability and willingness to help us with this.

Reactions: Torque
New to the forum so I apologize if this isn’t the correct place to ask a question. Lost my drone and the flight path ending (12% remained when it stopped logging) vs final location on find my are over 1,000ft apart. Was unable to control the drone due to strong winds and lost connection. Just curious which location might be more relevant to finding the drone? DJI seemed confused by the question but eventually said it was better to check the area of the flight path vs the find my final location that was 1,000ft away in the opposite direction of what was a failed RTH attempt. Last clip on find my is at a very high altitude in comparison to the last recorded height on the flight path log.

I would follow these instructions:

And post your flight log. It is amazing what some of the experts here can get out of those logs.

The drone was hovering above taking a short video of a thunderstorm in the distance. I left it unattended to check the radar and shortly after heard the low battery RTH prompt and realized it had a sensor issue happening as well as strong wind. It was obviously not where it was hovering and I had no control over it. Tried to switch it to sport and see if I could at least get it over a field nearby as it’s a pretty rural area but was unable to control it or at least couldn’t verify it on screen. The find my location was over 1,000 ft w of the unintentional path and log the drone took. I have checked both locations as best as possible and have found nothing.

Last edited:
New to the forum so I apologize if this isn’t the correct place to ask a question. Lost my drone and the flight path ending (12% remained when it stopped logging) vs final location on find my are over 1,000ft apart. Was unable to control the drone due to strong winds and lost connection. Just curious which location might be more relevant to finding the drone? DJI seemed confused by the question but eventually said it was better to check the area of the flight path vs the find my final location that was 1,000ft away in the opposite direction of what was a failed RTH attempt. Last clip on find my is at a very high altitude in comparison to the last recorded height on the flight path log.
There are several different problems that affected this flight and it took a while to make sense of the complicated flight data this caused.

First, you launched with a battery that was in a discharged state, which meant the % indication was incorrect and the battery actually had a significantly lower capacity than you thought.
Second, it appears that you launched with a yaw error that accounts for the control difficulties (that wasn't caused by strong winds) and confusion about where the drone was.

When you launched was the drone facing west or south?
The data shows it facing west, but I think this is incorrect and the first sign of the yaw error induced by magnetic interference where you powered up the drone.
Can you describe the surface you launched from?

Explaining the yaw error would be complicated, more than for most yaw errors, so I'll leave that out, but it flew your drone well south of where you thought it was.

The data ends when signal was lost with the drone 175 feet up and flying erratically.
The last location where the drone was recorded was at 28.84079 -81.09259
The drone would have landed somewhere within a few hundred feet of there.

Battery was down to 12% so critical low voltage autolanding would have commenced soon after, but we cannot be certain about the exact location where that would have happened.
The number of trees around there would make it difficult to find.
i-ghPpkwx-XL.jpg

Reactions: MS Coast
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErieSkyPixel