DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Find out if the drone purchased as new is used

felipeghiggi

Reactions
Is there any way to know if a dji drone has been activated more than once? That is, before I was the owner it was already used. I ask because there are dishonest sellers.

Reactions: Gagey52
As far as I know normal sellers, be they private sellers or retailers, do not have the means to 'de-activate' a drone. At a guess DJI can but that is a guess.
So, if a drone requires activation I would say it is safe to assume it is unused.

If your are really concerned google how you look at the list of DAT's on the drone (screen capture it) and maybe download them. The appropriate DJI Assistant 2 will probably be required, you can not read those DAT's - they are encrypted, but their number would be an indication of how many times the drone has been switched on, I do mean switched on, I do not mean used. The above assumes you are talking about a current model of drone, excluding the FPV.

As to their individual size, I do not know/remember if they are padded out to a standard size but I suspect not. You could test that by switching the drone on for say 30 sec then switch it off then switch it on for maybe 40 sec and switch it off then switch it on again and compare the new list of DAT's and the size of the new DAT's, with the old list.

If you connect a phone, with the appropriate control app installed, to the controller and the controller to the drone a DAT should recorded on the phone. Phone recorded DAT's have names that contain a sequential numbering, that numbering increments at each switch on irrespective of whether the phone etc. is connected. Unfortunately the counter is reset to 000 at DAT number 99+1 but the name of the DAT on the phone would also indicate within a 100 how many times the drone has been switched.

If you are talking about an DJI FPV, it appears that all the "phone DAT's" and the txt flight logs are left on the goggles and they are eventually all down loaded to a phone with the fly app installed that is connected to goggles. I connected a phone to a friend's goggles so that I could see what he was seeing and I got all his logs on my phone. He hasn't flown the FPV much so I do not know if the storage space allocated is limited and if old logs will eventually be over written.

Last edited:
As far as I know normal sellers, be they private sellers or retailers, do not have the means to 'de-activate' a drone. At a guess DJI can but that is a guess.
So, if a drone requires activation I would say it is safe to assume it is unused.

If your are really concerned google how you look at the list of DAT's on the drone (screen capture it) and maybe download them. The appropriate DJI Assistant 2 will probably be required, you can not read those DAT's - they are encrypted, but their number would be an indication of how many times the drone has been switched on, I do mean switched on, I do not mean used. The above assumes you are talking about a current model of drone, excluding the FPV.

As to their individual size, I do not know/remember if they are padded out to a standard size but I suspect not. You could test that by switching the drone on for say 30 sec then switch it off then switch it on for maybe 40 sec and switch it off then switch it on again and compare the new list of DAT's and the size of the new DAT's, with the old list.

If you connect a phone, with the appropriate control app installed, to the controller and the controller to the drone a DAT should recorded on the phone. Phone recorded DAT's have names that contain a sequential numbering, that numbering increments at each switch on irrespective of whether the phone etc. is connected. Unfortunately the counter is reset to 000 at DAT number 99+1 but the name of the DAT on the phone would also indicate within a 100 how many times the drone has been switched.

If you are talking about an DJI FPV, it appears that all the "phone DAT's" and the txt flight logs are left on the goggles and they are eventually all down loaded to a phone with the fly app installed that is connected to goggles. I connected a phone to a friend's goggles so that I could see what he was seeing and I got all his logs on my phone. He hasn't flown the FPV much so I do not know if the storage space allocated is limited and if old logs will eventually be over written.
When I received my drone I had to activate it, in this case the drone would be really new and never been used?

If you aren't asked to activate the drone it is not new.
See if there are any .DAT files recorded in the drone. You can see them but not read them, they are encrypted.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ADK Dragonfly