DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Finding out about the Mini 3 RC is !!!! UGH!

I think DJI is getting worse and worse at supporting their existing products and instead just pumping out more new stuff more or less abandoning the past faithful buyers. Many examples as such as the M#, they also were going to come out with 24fps on the FPV,, they also stated they would add new drones to the RC Pro, Even with the Mini 1 instead of acknowledging the issue of the unwanted descents they just came out with the Mini 2. I know there are others. I think that is why you are seeing a number of people with a wait and see attitude of any issues. I like DJI products but my opinion is they need to do a better job of supporting a product when someone invests a decent amount of $$$ in it. Just my opinion
They also don't seem to fix pre-existing oddities that extend models, like the same 'sudden' drop I had on the Mini 1 flying over water (ie: if you get closer than say 6 to 8 feet above the water, it starts descending like it suspects the ground is much closer), experienced much more easily with the Air 2S over a creek had to pull up a couple times real quick and just abandon that idea. (like they haven't quite figured out how to make the infrared sensors work for that purpose).

Last edited:
Let me preface this with I have had no issues with any of my DJI drones, P3 Advanced and Pro, Spark, Mavic Pro, Air 2S, FPV, Mini and Mini 2 and I have multiples of each. But if you look at the DJI site and their forum for support it is almost a joke. Answers are just cut and paste, Any real tough questions never get answered and when known issues surface from many users the support people are mum. That is why so many recommend these forums if you have any problems as so many people have benefited from the vast amount of knowledge on all of these XXXpilot forums.

Let me preface this with I have had no issues with any of my DJI drones, P3 Advanced and Pro, Spark, Mavic Pro, Air 2S, FPV, Mini and Mini 2 and I have multiples of each. But if you look at the DJI site and their forum for support it is almost a joke. Answers are just cut and paste, Any real tough questions never get answered and when known issues surface from many users the support people are mum. That is why so many recommend these forums if you have any problems as so many people have benefited from the vast amount of knowledge on all of these XXXpilot forums.
Oh, wholeheartly agree with you there, even some of the DJI related groups on Facebook are a little better than that, just a little.

I've given up on new models. Out of date and buggy at purchase. Sticking with used proven models with remaining Refresh. Win win

Reactions: jedi2155
I think DJI is getting worse and worse at supporting their existing products and instead just pumping out more new stuff more or less abandoning the past faithful buyers. Many examples as such as the M#, they also were going to come out with 24fps on the FPV,, they also stated they would add new drones to the RC Pro, Even with the Mini 1 instead of acknowledging the issue of the unwanted descents they just came out with the Mini 2. I know there are others. I think that is why you are seeing a number of people with a wait and see attitude of any issues. I like DJI products but my opinion is they need to do a better job of supporting a product when someone invests a decent amount of $$$ in it. Just my opinion
I have to wonder how much the Chip shortage has affected every decision they had to make thus far in regards to the controller as that needs processing speed. But I do think that they cater to the One and Done Client that only will own One drone because there advertising themes never really high lights the RC to fly more than 1 drone.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. land on the water.

Explains why the kit with RC is so 'cheap'. Would be great if that's the only drone you're going to use, and don't have sufficient phone/tablet to use. But I think a lot of us plan to upgrade eventually.

I just got the Air 2S last week and while I find the Mini 3 Pro to have some nice features for the mini class, I'm still not regretting the Air 2S (got it primarily for 10-bit footage and some obstacle avoidance)... but I might eventually get the Mini 3 to replace my Mini 2 down the road.
The Air 2s is a great drone. I have the rc pro controller which was made compatible with air 2s. How many different smart controllers does dji need to make. Just confusing and pointless.

I get the angst over the controller not being compatible with anything else.
What I don't get is DJI selling the Mini3 without a controller saying you can use the one from a Mini 2.
(or did I hear that wrong?)
My initial thought was the RC is incompatible because the Mini3 uses O3.
The only thing I can think of is the Mini3 is capable using/fallback O2 if it can use the Mini 2 RC,
It is puzzling...

Reactions: AnzacJack
I get the angst over the controller not being compatible with anything else.
What I don't get is DJI selling the Mini3 without a controller saying you can use the one from a Mini 2.
(or did I hear that wrong?)
My initial thought was the RC is incompatible because the Mini3 uses O3.
The only thing I can think of is the Mini3 is capable using/fallback O2 if it can use the Mini 2 RC,
It is puzzling...
The base controller is the same between the Air 2S, Mini 2, Mini 3 Pro and Mavic 3, you're able to get the mini 3 solo, with the RC-N1 controller, or with the DJI rc that has the built in screen. Even tho the communication differs between each the remote switches firmware based on the aircraft.

So even with the mini 2 controller you're still getting O3 because the firmware gets upgraded on the remote when you pair it to the Mini 3.

Edit :

DJI RC-N1 Remote Controller​

• Remote Controller Transmission System​

• When used with different aircraft hardware configurations, DJI RC-N1 Remote Controllers will automatically select the corresponding firmware version for updating and support the following transmission technologies enabled by the hardware performance of the linked aircraft models:
    a. DJI Mini 2/ DJI Mavic Air 2: O2
    b. DJI Air 2S: O3
    c. DJI Mavic 3: O3+

Last edited:
Reactions: Brojon
Is it known if the controller with built in monitor has a hdmi out port?

Is it known if the controller with built in monitor has a hdmi out port?

Nope, "Video Output Port N/A" on the Mini 3 Pro specs page, it has Bluetooth 4.2 and Wifi a/b/g/n though.

Here's the other issue though... it's not as bright as some phones.

Screen brightness is a little disappointing; at 700cd/m^2, it can be difficult to overpower glare on bright, sunny days. It's definitely a compromise when compared with the DJI RC Pro's ($1,199) 1,000cd/m^2 display or a modern flagship phone

I get by with a Samsung S22, which I'm finding is around 1,000~1,300 nit like the old S21 (the S22+ and Ultra hits 1,750 nits), So a controller that's dedicated for the drone usage at 700 seems kind of lacking, and may be better to wait for them to bump the firmware to support the RC Pro if you want that kind of thing.

Last edited:
I still want to know why it has two USB-C ports.

Not seen any specs but if its following full USB-C it could function as a display output...IF DJI wanted to.
Given its the budget RC i bet they've disabled that though.

I still want to know why it has two USB-C ports.
I'm wondering if you can optionally use a phone to run other software like Litchi.

The base controller is the same between the Air 2S, Mini 2, Mini 3 Pro and Mavic 3, you're able to get the mini 3 solo, with the RC-N1 controller, or with the DJI rc that has the built in screen. Even tho the communication differs between each the remote switches firmware based on the aircraft.

So even with the mini 2 controller you're still getting O3 because the firmware gets upgraded on the remote when you pair it to the Mini 3.

Edit :
Good explanation but if the remotes can flash to proper firmware then why not the RC Pro? Likely because no firmware exists? That would imply they have firmware for the older Mini 2 controller.
Hmmm - I need to pick up an older controller so I can run Litchi when they finally get the SDK out...

Good explanation but if the remotes can flash to proper firmware then why not the RC Pro? Likely because no firmware exists? That would imply they have firmware for the older Mini 2 controller.
Hmmm - I need to pick up an older controller so I can run Litchi when they finally get the SDK out...
They could of course had made the RC Pro compatible with the Mini 3, if they wanted to, but seems they made the RC Pro strictly O3+ on transmission and I'd speculate that's very intentional rather than just not being capable yet.

I'd also speculate that by the time they do have the SDK released for the Mini 3 Pro, they will likely have made it compatible with the RC Pro by then too (or least the older iteration of it before they came out with the Mavic 3).

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Given how slow DJI are with SDKs even for flagship drones i wouldnt expect one to be available in a time frame of under a year at best.

Its highly likely that a simple firmware switch adding a few lines of code would make N1,RC and RC pro all interoperable with all O3 drones. The reason they dont is marketing not hardware or software.

Nope, "Video Output Port N/A" on the Mini 3 Pro specs page, it has Bluetooth 4.2 and Wifi a/b/g/n though.

Here's the other issue though... it's not as bright as some phones.

I get by with a Samsung S22, which I'm finding is around 1,000~1,300 nit like the old S21 (the S22+ and Ultra hits 1,750 nits), So a controller that's dedicated for the drone usage at 700 seems kind of lacking, and may be better to wait for them to bump the firmware to support the RC Pro if you want that kind of thing.
No HDMI out on RC was the reason I cancelled my order! I use my goggles almost every time I Fly my M2z and Mini2.
If they make the original SC compatible I'll probable buy an Mini3.

Given how slow DJI are with SDKs even for flagship drones i wouldnt expect one to be available in a time frame of under a year at best.

Its highly likely that a simple firmware switch adding a few lines of code would make N1,RC and RC pro all interoperable with all O3 drones. The reason they dont is marketing not hardware or software.
The irritating thing is the SDK is what they themselves HAVE to use internally to develop the software.
As a developer I suspect the time needed to "release" the SDK is so they can remove/obfuscate/hide functions they'd rather not have available to the general public.

No HDMI out on RC was the reason I cancelled my order! I use my goggles almost every time I Fly my M2z and Mini2.
If they make the original SC compatible I'll probable buy an Mini3.
You sure that the USB-C ports aren't carrying video?
If they are then an HDMI adapter is cheap.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AASHIANAPC