DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

fined $10,000 for flying drone near forest fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps a few more details in this article. Drone pilot fined $7.4K for flying near a wildfire in Canada

I was curious what the fine would be for general aviation infractions. Here's a page for hang glider pilots, saying it's a $5k fine. Not sure if you can legally fly a hang glider in the park right now. They have been allowing it somewhat, under trial circumstances. The first time I saw a hang glider was in Jasper, a long long time a go.

So, my question is, is there ANY place at all along the road from Calgary to Jasper Park that a drone can be legally used? We are driving the entire length this summer, staying at Canmore for a base for Banff and Lake Louise (restricted of course). Then there is the Icefield Parkway. Should I just leave my drone at home in Miami? I certainly don't want to get fined $10K.

Dale
A couple of things to unpack...
If your drone is 250 grams or more - leave it home. There isn't currently reciprocity for drone licenses and registrations between US and Canada. And you can't get a Canadian licence if you're a visitor to Canada. That may change, or it may have changed recently, so check the Transport Canada website.
To find out where you are allowed to fly, check the NavCan drone site selection tool. With it, you can check the rules for sub-250 as well as for Basic and Advanced certificates.
Canada's drone regulations are generally much less restrictive than those in the US.

Reactions: Dronecation
Glad to hear it. There's enough danger for the firefighters, planes, and smoke jumpers without having to worry about a drone in their path. There have been instances when firefighting aircraft all were grounded and couldn't fight the fire because of idiots flying drones. Fire areas are RESTRICTED NFZ!

Reactions: Aerophile
While RID is not active, Drone pilots need to learn to hide their location of takeoff and landing. Make sure officials can't follow your drone to where you pick it up.

Stealth is Health.

Please feel free to correct me if my information is out of date. . . Here in British Columbia (and likely other provinces/territories) it is illegal to operate a drone from inside a provincial /territorial park, but it is legal to fly over the park. That's because Canadian airspace regulation is the domain of the federal government and the feds can close airspace over federal land such as national parks. Provincial/Territorial parks can regulate activities on the ground inside park boundaries. So, you should be able to fly your drone over a provincial/territorial park if you launch, operate, and land outside the park boundary.

Having said that, do not fly in a way that bothers park users and don't do anything to distract wildlife (which would violate other, non-airspace related regulations).

Last edited:

Attachments

• 1671300848940.png
    1671300848940.png
    945.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about Canada, but in the U.S. the rule is you can't launch or land in a National Park. You CAN fly over them, as long as you don't launch or land in them. This information is about 5 years old. So unless that has changed....???

Discuss.

D

I don't know about Canada, but in the U.S. the rule is you can't launch or land in a National Park. You CAN fly over them, as long as you don't launch or land in them. This information is about 5 years old. So unless that has changed....???

Discuss.

D
The exception is wildlife areas, can't fly over those.

Reactions: Donnie Frank
Please feel free to correct me if my information is out of date. . . Here in British Columbia (and likely other provinces/territories) it is illegal to operate a drone from inside a provincial /territorial park, but it is legal to fly over the park. That's because Canadian airspace regulation is the domain of the federal government and the feds can close airspace over federal land such as national parks. Provincial/Territorial parks can regulate activities on the ground inside park boundaries. So, you should be able to fly your drone over a provincial/territorial park if you launch, operate, and land outside the park boundary.

Having said that, do not fly in a way that bothers park users and don't do anything to distract wildlife (which would violate other, non-airspace related regulations).
Are the public roads through the parks considered outside the park boundaries and not part of the restrictions? If one takes off from the road and flies through the park without ever landing or technically taking off from the park, is that considered legal?

So, my question is, is there ANY place at all along the road from Calgary to Jasper Park that a drone can be legally used? We are driving the entire length this summer, staying at Canmore for a base for Banff and Lake Louise (restricted of course). Then there is the Icefield Parkway. Should I just leave my drone at home in Miami? I certainly don't want to get fined $10K.

Dale
There are plenty apps from DJI, B4UFly, and more to find this out.

Can you launch and land outside of the National Park boundaries and fly into it?
You can (in the US), but good luck being able to maintain VLOS doing so.

Also while you can fly over National Parks (or even fly/operate within National "Forests"), "Wildlife Areas" are still prohibited from being flown over. So it's possible to have a National Park/Forest that also includes some areas of "Wildlife areas".

Reactions: dgibbphoto
The public roads inside the park boundaries are Inside The Park and you cannot fly within the Park. There is no lines that go around any roads inside the parks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ken28e