DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

fined $10,000 for flying drone near forest fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
The public roads inside the park boundaries are Inside The Park and you cannot fly within the Park. There is no lines that go around any roads inside the parks.
Do you have any proof to back that up?

Do you have any proof to back that up?
Yes the park boundary signs when you drive past them on the highway when you enter the parks. They are on the side of the highways in the ditch when a new park boundary starts. Banff Jasper, Yoho, Revelstoke, Glacier National Parks are all marked with these signs on the highways just like the speed signs, corner signs, double lane signs. You cannot miss them.

Yes the park boundary signs when you drive past them on the highway when you enter the parks. They are on the side of the highways in the ditch when a new park boundary starts. Banff Jasper, Yoho, Revelstoke, Glacier National Parks are all marked with these signs on the highways just like the speed signs, corner signs, double lane signs. You cannot miss them.
Yes, I understand that, but the Trans-Canada Highway passes through the designated park. The highway itself is not the park itself- so taking off from the road would allow users to fly through the park airspace, whilst not taking off/landing in the park directly. I'm not trying to be obstinate here, but legal clarification is usually blurred and hard to determine because there is so much anti-drone sentiment by the Gov't and the public! As an example, just look how hard it is to clarify EXACTLY the differences with drone rules that are sub 250grams.

Last edited:
Doesn't tell me anything in legal written form what constitutes park boundaries. The TCH passes through the park and may not be considered the park itself. Hence take-off/ landing may be permitted, as long as its not part of the park itself....
Pretty sure operating in the middle of the road would be hazardous to your health even if that was the case.

Reactions: Tofino
Doesn't tell me anything in legal written form what constitutes park boundaries. The TCH passes through the park and may not be considered the park itself. Hence take-off/ landing may be permitted, as long as its not part of the park itself....
The Park Is maintained by the gov't and so is the road, so take off from the road and see what happens. Just another person that cannot abide by the rules and regs...which makes it difficult and more regulated for us drone users that fly responsibly.

Why not just call the Park? Or the Canada DOT? They would know before a forum!!

The Park Is maintained by the gov't and so is the road, so take off from the road and see what happens. Just another person that cannot abide by the rules and regs...which makes it difficult and more regulated for us drone users that fly responsibly.
One can not take off/land in parks in the city or province, but one can do so on the road next to a park. That has nothing to do with not abiding the rules and regs. Most fliers do not know this anomaly. In fact, a lot of dis-info is rife throughout the drone community. So much so, that many do not fly because of not knowing all the rules.

Last edited:
Why not just call the Park? Or the Canada DOT? They would know before a forum!!
True, and I will do so when the time comes to travel there...
but since this discussion came up, I thought I would see if anyone had done so already. Looks as though this will just attract trolls and know-it-alls that don't truly know or have not made personal inquiries to the authorities. Armchair experts are a dime a dozen.

Last edited:
The Park has it's own regulated airspace. Not sure if you can legally infringe from the outside. Potentially.

I would guess you could legally fly at the aerodromes, but only when there is no air traffic. I see they state some no fly zones can overlap.

"Aerodrome. Drone operations are permitted within the zone indicated by the yellow filled shape. Caution is advised, however, due to potential aircraft traffic. Operations when other aircraft are present are strongly discouraged

No pilot shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft at or near an aerodrome that is listed in the Canada Flight Supplement or the Water Aerodrome Supplement in a manner that could interfere with an aircraft operating in the established traffic pattern."

This quote is from this link. WhereToFly Map Only View for iOS I drilled down on the Aerodrome at Jasper. I heard these aerodromes are kinda grandfathered in. That, and the vip's like to fly into the parks, so another reason to keep them open.

It's a little fiefdom, so commercial operators (etc) can apply for access. Use of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) or drones in Canada’s national parks

The Park has it's own regulated airspace.
Do you have a source for this? From what I have read and experienced, all airspace in Canada is regulated by Transport Canada. I'm an ex-commercial pilot and have flown all over the world [including owning an aircraft in Canada] and have never heard of parks regulating airspace. They can only specify take-off and landings inside the park, but that does not mean you can't safely fly through the park airspace from outside its boundaries.

Do you have a source for this? From what I have read and experienced, all airspace in Canada is regulated by Transport Canada. I'm an ex-commercial pilot and have flown all over the world [including owning an aircraft in Canada] and have never heard of parks regulating airspace. They can only specify take-off and landings inside the park, but that does not mean you can't safely fly through the park airspace from outside its boundaries.
Poor choice of wording by me.

TC quote: "Drone pilots are not allowed to take-off or land within a national park."
Kinda slippery language.

I thought the overlap mentioned, had to do with Jaspers' Hospital heliport. But I don't see the overlap, so perhaps PC would give fines for flying a drone at the airstrip, even if they don't have proper authority. Like they when tried to shut down the airstrip, years a go.

I recall Jasper and/or Banff were at one time designated as emergency landings only (mentioned in the video, below), but Jasper often has planes next to the airstrip now a days. So the current ruling, I don't know. A friend was parking his plane there.

Here's a cool video about the Banff airport's history / etc..

Ok guys one more report in this and I will close it. 🤷‍♂️

So, my question is, is there ANY place at all along the road from Calgary to Jasper Park that a drone can be legally used?
A lot of the foothills are part of various provincial parks, so restricted. Canmore, for example, which isn't in Banff National Park, is surrounded by provincial parks. If you take the old highway 1A rather than the dual carriageway TransCanada you will find some nice places between Cochrane and Canmore that are legal. Ghost Lake, for example.

Once you enter Banff National Park, the entire road to Jasper is part of either Banff or Jasper National Parks. The NRC drone tool doesn't show provincial parks, but it will give you an idea:

If you head east along highway 11 from Saskatchewan River Crossing (towards Nordegg) you will quickly leave the park and still be in magnificent mountain scenery. Won't have glaciers, though.

Also note that unless you are a Canadian you will need a Special Flight Operations Certificate to fly here. I believe I've mentioned this before:

If you are a foreign operator (that is, you are not a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or a corporation incorporated by or under federal or provincial law and you want to fly in Canadian airspace), you must have an approved SFOC-RPAS to fly a drone for any purpose (recreational, work or research).

As a foreign drone pilot, you need a Canadian drone pilot certificate to operate in Canada even if you are authorized in your home country.

I've seen that this doesn't apply for microdrones (under 250 g) but can't find the reference.

Singh was not the only one flying but I think that he was the only one caught.
They caught at least four, I think.

He added that this case [Singh] wasn't even the most serious of the four instances of illegal drone users charged during the Chetamon wildfire. One individual decided to fly a drone right over the wildfire zone. The others were flying in proximity to the wildfire zone.

Are the public roads through the parks considered outside the park boundaries and not part of the restrictions?
Nope. Park regulations apply to the roads as well.

Rouge Urban National Park is sort of an exception, in that the park was made from federally-owned farmland so the roads aren't part of the park. But in the wilderness parks the roads are part of the park.

This fellow has a number of Interesting general aviation videos of the Rockies.

I wouldn't want to be your neighbor. Freedom or Police state. What is your preferenc?
My preference is freedom with responsibility. You can't have one without the other. Calling the fact that it is illegal to fly your drone near a wildfire a "police state" is quite a stretch. My point was that I agree with that law and those miscreants just give responsible drone pilots a bad name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61