DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

fined $10,000 for flying drone near forest fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any National Park in Canada is a no fly zone. So in a national park and a fire zone, I say he got off lucky. Hoped he learned from this. Wonder if his drone was confiscated.

Reactions: Bohemian and AZDave
Any National Park in Canada is a no fly zone. So in a national park and a fire zone, I say he got off lucky. Hoped he learned from this. Wonder if his drone was confiscated.

I think the complete ban on drone park flying is a shame (though not surprising), but forest fires often have an understandably justifiable notam, fwiw, Here's an interesting little blurb about a notam near Golden.

Parks Canada officials are reminding GA pilots of a fire suppression NOTAM affecting one of the most important VFR corridors through the Rockies. NOTAM 170983 affects airspace in a ten-mile radius around a forest fire 23 nautical miles west of Golden in the Rogers Pass. The The NOTAM is in effect until approximately Aug. 20. Parks Canada spokeswoman Shelley Bird told COPA Flight that despite the NOTAM, some pilots are still apparently trying to get through the pass, endangering themselves and the firefighters. Her message to pilots is copied below.

“I just wanted to send out a reminder of the current advisory for flights through Rogers Pass (between Revelstoke and Golden, British Columbia). Parks Canada and BC Wildfire Service fire crews are actively managing two wildfires in the area. Due to the steep terrain, fire suppression is done primarily by helicopter. At times there are between three to nine helicopters operating in the narrow valleys of Glacier National Park. An advisory is currently in place (see NOTAM #170983) but small fixed wing aircraft have been spotted entering the area recently. The safety of the public, our crews, infrastructure and neighbouring lands is Parks Canada’s top priority. We would like to remind pilots to please avoid the area as described in the NOTAM while fire management operations are on-going.”

There are numerous fire-related NOTAMs throughout B.C. and pilots must plan flights carefully to avoid them. Heavy smoke in some areas also has to be considered.

I do agree with you but we have to abide by the rules and regulations so can continue to fly without more restrictions.
So, my question is, is there ANY place at all along the road from Calgary to Jasper Park that a drone can be legally used? We are driving the entire length this summer, staying at Canmore for a base for Banff and Lake Louise (restricted of course). Then there is the Icefield Parkway. Should I just leave my drone at home in Miami? I certainly don't want to get fined $10K.

Dale

There are lots of places to fly in Alberta just not in any National Park. Canmore is not in the park so you could fly there. The #93 Icefields Parkway from Banff to Jasper is all in the park, so no flying there. I just looked up that flying in Provincial Parks is a no go as well. Kananaskis Country south of highway 1 on the 40 is nice but you gotta make sure you are not in the provincial park area as well.

I figure if you can fly a kite in an area, you should be free to fly a drone.
So, my question is, is there ANY place at all along the road from Calgary to Jasper Park that a drone can be legally used? We are driving the entire length this summer, staying at Canmore for a base for Banff and Lake Louise (restricted of course). Then there is the Icefield Parkway. Should I just leave my drone at home in Miami? I certainly don't want to get fined $10K.

Dale
Just between Calgary and Banff park gates. There are a few nice spots. Though it's possible there may be some restrictions along the way there too. Banff to Jasper is all National Park.

There may be other issues, you being a non-resident. I fly a mini-2, so many regs don't apply. If you have something bigger, you might need a visitor exemption? Maybe you already have what you need?

Expensive way to learn a lesson for sure
1. Well, that's $10,000 Canadian Loonies. So just a mere $7,323 (last time I checked) in Yankee Bucks.
2. The fine could have been much worse: according to the linked article, "Flying a drone in a national park is illegal and carries a maximum fine of $25,000." That's just for flying a drone there...in a national park that's not on fire. I'd say he got off easy.
3. No guarantee the lesson has been learned.

1. Well, that's $10,000 Canadian Loonies. So just a mere $7,323 (last time I checked) in Yankee Bucks.
2. The fine could have been much worse: according to the linked article, "Flying a drone in a national park is illegal and carries a maximum fine of $25,000." That's just for flying a drone there...in a national park that's not on fire. I'd say he got off easy.
I read the article. I think the emphasis was more on flying near the forest fire than the park itself. Nonetheless, one can only hope that a fine like that would certainly have one to think twice before doing it again.

I'm not sure what the restrictrictions may be of flying a kite.

But the kite is tethered to the PIC and not an aircraft that can go where it's willed to go.

Hang a GoPro or two off of that kite and you might be okay? 🤔

Ya good Canadian twoonies and loonies.

he learned his lesson fur sur!

I did not read it all but a FYI.

Anytime any accident or natural event as forest fire etc.
Some Public events.
Skydiving events.

In USA they issue SFAR/TFR and you better check them.

I did not read it all but a FYI.

Anytime any accident or natural event as forest fire etc.
Some Public events.
Skydiving events.

In USA they issue SFAR/TFR and you better check them.
You should read it all before you jump in 😉

You should read it all before you jump in 😉
Yes I should ..

I got burned of the darn rules, need to read the fine print, grr and especially with especially TFR.. special event flight rules..

• Haha
Reactions: HEAVYD and dirkclod
I believe all the Provincial Parks in BC are restricted too. Not sure about in Alberta, or other provinces.
Provincial parks in Alberta are also restricted.
Singh risked the lives of pilots and hindered the efforts to put out the fire.
He deserves the fine.
It is abundantly clear that there is a $25,000 Canadian maximum fine for flying in a national park without written permission. The media also reported on this while it was happening. Singh was not the only one flying but I think that he was the only one caught.

Reactions: Aerophile

Just between Calgary and Banff park gates. There are a few nice spots. Though it's possible there may be some restrictions along the way there too. Banff to Jasper is all National Park.

There may be other issues, you being a non-resident. I fly a mini-2, so many regs don't apply. If you have something bigger, you might need a visitor exemption? Maybe you already have what you need?
Tethered flight is not subject to the CARs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31