DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fire Dept Mavic graphics

Update:

The Verizon jetpack is too glitchy. I was using it only as a wireless network, not connected to 4g. The feed kept randomly freezing on the big screen. I would classify it as irregularly irregular.

As a test, I connected to the station wifi network and it works flawlessly.

So I eightysixed the jetpack and put a ubiquity wireless router in the pelican case.

Now it works perfect and everything fires up by simply plugging one cord into either a 12v or 110v outlet.

Yes getting a dedicated WiFi router was a great move on your part. The more you use this setup the more ways you'll find to use it. We operate out of our Mobile Command Post like this and the remote viewing station is what our IC eat up the most. They think we are some kind of mystical gods when we show them the scene LIVE from the air.

Your graphics are superb.

Update:

The mavic and viewing station continue to impress everywhere we go.

I just had a local dji dealer order 4 of these tactical viewing stations.

I wasn't really in the business of selling them...but I guess I am now.

Careful... you'll end up with a 3rd job and selling these all over the country.

I just completed four more of these.

I didn't get too many photos as I had a very short timeline to get them delivered. It took less time to make these four than it did the original one.

Ran into a bit of a snag as the online place I ordered my pelican cases in the past was closed, presumable for vacation. Everyone else had them for either a lot more money or shipping would take many days.

I was able to find them locally and they price matched!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

What things have you changed about your set-up now that you've made several of them. Most things "Evolve" over time and I would think you've had some changes here too.

Are you providing them Ready to Go (as in with router and everything) or just the basics and the end user is putting their own components inside?

What things have you changed about your set-up now that you've made several of them. Most things "Evolve" over time and I would think you've had some changes here too.

Are you providing them Ready to Go (as in with router and everything) or just the basics and the end user is putting their own components inside?

Great questions.

I make them ready to go right out of the box so to speak. I not only include the wireless router, but I connect the Apple TV to the network so all you have to do is plug it in and it just works. Can be powered by either 12 volt outlet or shore power.

Not many changes so far. I did learn that the newer generation Apple TV is less glitchy than the previous version but even the old one works quite well.

I would like to add a sunshade, but so far we have had no issues as it is usually inside the Chiefs vehicle and not in direct sunlight.

In the future, I would like to build a battery powered version that requires no external Power source.

Great job on this setup. I love hearing how inventions start out, especially when they start out from a need.[emoji106][emoji106] I hope your design spreads like wildfire all over across all fire/rescue platforms [emoji16].

How about using the batteries from a computer backup box? I’ve used them on everything from my jump box to motorcycle batteries. I can get the small 12v batteries from a camping supplies store locally. Under $20. The commercial style jump boxes hold power a long time too like JNC ( Jump and Carry)

Last edited:
If I was going to do something like this but battery powered

I'd switch out the TV for a 12v TV (saves using an inverter for the TV to drop the voltage down again)

I'd also use lithium over lead acid due to weight

If it's a TV designed for a RV then it will work from 11-16v so a 4s 14.8v battery would be perfect

My "custom command case" setup uses a 12v TV and works off a Lead Acid battery. I will need to add in inverter for the router and AppleTV when I add them.

What routers are you installing in these, if you don't mind me asking?

I will need to add in inverter for the router and AppleTV when I add them.
Routers run off 12v
Apple TV I've never used or seen but it looks to small to have a mains psu inside so will likely be 5v, 9v, 12v or 24v

If they are more sensitive to voltage ie don't like 14.4v you can either fit a DC/DC converter to give a stable voltage or replace the lead acid battery for a lithium which is a slightly higher voltage and use a voltage regulator

Routers run off 12v
Apple TV I've never used or seen but it looks to small to have a mains psu inside so will likely be 5v, 9v, 12v or 24v

If they are more sensitive to voltage ie don't like 14.4v you can either fit a DC/DC converter to give a stable voltage or replace the lead acid battery for a lithium which is a slightly higher voltage and use a voltage regulator

Well that makes sense. My thought process was to utilize an inverter but if these units can actually take 12v that would be ideal and a lot less "wasteful" than an inverter. I would simply remove the "Wall Wart" from the power cord and wire it directly to the 12v battery. That's another A HA moment LOL.

From memory...

Pelican case with foam: $160 each
Apple TV: $149
Inverter: $29
22" 1080p monitor: $140
Wifi router was a freebee

Plasti dip was about $5
And I bought a Hotwire foam cutter for $20 at hobby lobby.

I bought the drone wrap for about $40 with shipping and extra battery wrap but did all the vinyl lettering/graphics myself (I own a vinyl graphics company)

Does the router get connected to a cellular carrier I guess like the myfi would?

Great questions.

I make them ready to go right out of the box so to speak. I not only include the wireless router, but I connect the Apple TV to the network so all you have to do is plug it in and it just works. Can be powered by either 12 volt outlet or shore power.

Not many changes so far. I did learn that the newer generation Apple TV is less glitchy than the previous version but even the old one works quite well.

I would like to add a sunshade, but so far we have had no issues as it is usually inside the Chiefs vehicle and not in direct sunlight.

In the future, I would like to build a battery powered version that requires no external Power.

Can you use a few of the Mavic batteries as a power source?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BRUNO.CARDOSO