DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FIRE : Mavic LiPo Battery Fire : Has anyone Actually Had a Mavic Battery fire ?

Is that the key? It happened a few times to me that I got below 10%... But I am always in the vicinity when the batteries are charging.

It's ok occasionally, sometimes you just have to push the limits to get the shots.
But don't do it every flight, or even say 1 in 5 flights, less than that if rotating batteries should be of no consequence.

Reactions: Ronny St.
It's ok occasionally, sometimes you just have to push the limits to get the shots.
But don't do it every flight, or even say 1 in 5 flights, less than that if rotating batteries should be of no consequence.
Fortunately, it only happened exceptionally as you say when pushing the limits to get an intended shot.

Is that the key? It happened a few times to me that I got below 10%... But I am always in the vicinity when the batteries are charging.

These rules of thumb when it comes to DJI Intelligent Batteries are best practices, not critical limitations that, if violated, will result in definite harm.

If you run a DJI battery all the way to it self-reporting 0% charge a dozen times over the hundreds of cycles in its forecast life, and treat it well for the balance of those cycles, you probably won't be able to measure any impact on performance.

The very sophisticated BMS internal to the battery pack will not allow you to over discharge the battery to the point of risking damage to the cells. Something you can do easily with a naked lipo from a home-built.

A marginal lipo pack at least 2S can even be run down far enough to reverse one of the cells, destroying it and presenting a serious fire hazard when charging, regardless of balancing.

Not possible with a DJI Intelligent Battery.

So don't get neurotic about the 20% rule of thumb. Follow it as a practice, make exceptions when necessary. You'll be fine, and get full life out of your packs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ronny St.
These rules of thumb when it comes to DJI Intelligent Batteries are best practices, not critical limitations that, if violated, will result in definite harm.

If you run a DJI battery all the way to it self-reporting 0% charge a dozens times over the hundreds of cycles in its forecast life, and treat it well for the balance of those cycles, you probably won't be able to measure any impact on performance.

The very sophisticated BMS internal to the battery pack will not allow you to over discharge the battery to the point of risking damage to the cells. Something you can do easily with a naked lipo from a home-built.

A marginal lipo pack at least 2S can even be run down far enough to reverse one of the cells, destroying it and presenting a serious fire hazard when charging, regardless of balancing.

Not possible with a DJI Intelligent Battery.

So don't get neurotic about the 20% rule of thumb. Follow it as a practice, make exceptions when necessary. You'll be fine, and get full life out of your packs.
Thanks for the info, that makes me feel a lot safer :)

Which is the best way (for battery health) to partially discharge a full battery prior to storage? ie is it best to take it into the garden and FLY it down to 50%, or is it best instead to let the SMART function in the battery discharge it automatically ? (I was wondering this, because sometimes I don't know how many batteries I'll need for a job, and I return home with one or two still fully charged)

Which is the best way (for battery health) to partially discharge a full battery prior to storage? ie is it best to take it into the garden and FLY it down to 50%, or is it best instead to let the SMART function in the battery discharge it automatically ? (I was wondering this, because sometimes I don't know how many batteries I'll need for a job, and I return home with one or two still fully charged)
Interesting question since I recognize the situation described.

because sometimes I don't know how many batteries I'll need for a job, and I return home with one or two still fully charged

That's perfectly fine to let them auto discharge.

Not sure about Fly app, but in the past older drones can be set for discharge between 2 and 10 days.
I set mine in Go4 for 5 days, which I think is a happy medium.

I think modern drone models are set to just the 10 days option now, but that's still ok.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goadreams