DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FIRE : Mavic LiPo Battery Fire : Has anyone Actually Had a Mavic Battery fire ?

BobbyBob

Reactions
There is a lot of very useful stuff about fire and fire prevenion on other threads. However I'm doing a bit of a survey and would would like to ask please : Has anyone Actually Had a Mavic Battery fire ?

Reactions: mereflyer
I have had Mavic for years, and a total of 7 batteries, all still working fine. No fire or any other incidents with the batteries.
Before the Mavic I had Phantom 2 and 4, with plenty of batteries. No anomalies with them either. I should add that I take meticolous care of the batteries.
I do not think I have heard of a Mavic battery on fire during normal use or charging, but with hundreds of thousands, maybe millions, batteries sold there is bound to be a few incidents. But DJI batteries are generally very, very safe.

I have have flown for years with no incidence of fire with DJI batteries. I am confident in the durable plastic casing. However I continue to conduct safe charge and discharge.

I've been flying for 15 years with no battery fires to report (knock on wood) :)

There is a lot of very useful stuff about fire and fire prevenion on other threads. However I'm doing a bit of a survey and would would like to ask please : Has anyone Actually Had a Mavic Battery fire ?
MPP since 2018. 12 batteries, 2200 flights, 3300+ miles flown, no bulging, no fires. Only one battery retired due to capacity below 80%.

Have tons of lipos of all different varieties and never had one go into thermal runaway. I've had them get old and sag terribly and I've had some that just stopped taking a charge. I have friends that have had thermal runaway during charging however.

Flying since 2018 Mavic then Mavic 2 pro, Mavic 2S, Mavic 3. 2 spare batteries each multiple recharges each only one battery retired for not accepting charge. Never had any fire or swelling. Never charged a warm battery and low battery warning set at 30% rarely landed below 20%

This was discussed ad nauseam with the early Inspire and there were a number of examples of bad fires. Transport Canada required you to carry a Class D fire extinguisher which they later relaxed to a bag of sand (which I still keep in my car). Personally never had any problem but did take very good care of the batteries. With launch of the Mavic and I2 these concerns seem to have disappeared & am not aware of any Mavic battery fires. However i still take very good care of the batteries and follow the DJI recommendations.

I had one Mavic Pro battery swell 4 years ago. Disposed of it properly and nothing since.

How have you been able to never have a battery swell? I’ve only been flying for a little over two years and have several batteries that have been retired for that. What is your strategy for battery care.
Never run it down below 20%.

Can't say I do much in regard to pampering them. I don't store them in bags of metal shavings. I'm old so I rarely fly when it's over 85°F or under 50°F outside. I let them discharge themselves. When I fly, I have specific shots in mind so I'm usually done with 50% of my battery left. I'll land at about 30% or there about. I charge them in a nice cool environment. Batteries are like people, they like about 70°F. If I'm comfortable I figgure my battery is too. I keep tabs on my flight times. If I note diminished time from a battery, I look into that a little closer. I inspect my contacts. Dirty contacts can cause problems.

By far the most thermal runaway cases that I am aware of are with people vaping what is called a mech mod. It is mechanical switch, a battery, and a coil with no electronics. People either create shorts in the connections are slave the battery with a super low resistance coil causing the battery to freak out trying to provide enough current for the circuit.

Last edited:
Of the 20 batterys I used last year 1 became swollen the rest gave me my200 cycles I never Had a DJI Battrey Fire BUT I treat them like I have. proper care and keeping them at the storage charge when not in use will give everyone there 200 cycles.

No fires here but I am terrified enough to follow at least one of the golden rules 100%: Never ever leave a drone battery unattended while charging.
Or a cell phone, power bank, drone RC, tablet, laptop, and on and on.

Do you continuously "attend" every lipo powered device you own when you charge it? I suspect not.

What's special about DJI batteries to justify so much concern? They have a better track record for safety than cell phones.

From where I sit, I see a whole lot of Lipo Virtue Signaling here on MPC, with constant regularity 🙂

Or a cell phone, power bank, drone RC, tablet, laptop, and on and on.

Do you continuously "attend" every lipo powered device you own when you charge it? I suspect not.

What's special about DJI batteries to justify so much concern? They have a better track record for safety than cell phones.

From where I sit, I see a whole lot of Lipo Virtue Signaling here on MPC, with constant regularity 🙂
I do but I am using the term "attend" loosely. Basically don't leave home while your batteries are recharging. Obviously not every single battery you own but perhaps the ones you own that are sus. For sure if you are not using OEM equipment; less so on DJI equipment. For example, I will never put my ebike on the charger and leave home.

I understand it's not practical for everyone (people have jobs and families and responsibilities, etc) but I think about people who live in apartments who have a duties not to burn down the building and destroy their neighbor's home. I try to pick my time (like overnight) and I have been known to take the kit with me. Obviously this is getting better over time and as batteries fully recharge much more quickly, less of a factor.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54