msinger

DJI Drone Expert
Approved Vendor
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
MavicHelp.com
Is it mandatory to update the firmware?
No, but it's a good idea to keep the firmware updated so you can take advantage of the latest features and fixes.

FireStorm-X

Reactions
Visit site
Only thing I noticed today on my Flights, was when I changed the Battery, and Reconected to my Air 2 was the screen was all Black, could take off, Fly and Land. But no picture from camra on my Screen. I had to shut down and restart phone to get the picture to work from the camra. Small issue as the way to work around it only took 1 min.

Repaid1

Reactions
Visit site
Not mandatory, but how would DJI react, in terms of warranty repair or refresh, if you had an accident?
They don't care what it is on, but if you send it to them what you get back will most likely come back updated. The problem with updating is mismatched. If they update one thing and say your controller is on a different update (old) then things can go screwy. So IF possible keep things in same time frame. Don't update part if it is a all around update, to include batteries.

Reactions: dawgpilot

dawgpilot

Reactions
Visit site
I think like this for the "accident" ... "Before we begin, is your firmware up to date?" :rolleyes:

Well Refresh covers pilot error, so it really doesn't matter. You could have flown your drone directly into a brick wall and as long as you return the pieces to DJI, it's covered.

karlblessing

Reactions
Visit site
Sometimes it's required when the application using it is updated. Course you don't have to update the application either. I know some people who won't update either unless there's a fix for a problem they're currently experiencing.