DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

emvision

Reactions
Yesterday I went fluke fishing with my brother and some old buddies from the neighborhood off the Atlantic Highlands in New Jersey.

I've been fishing on party boats on the Atlantic for years, but this time I packed up my MA2. I did a bit of homework regarding launching from a boat - hand release and catch - but I was genuinely nervous, especially reading horror stories from seasoned pilots.

The sea was somewhere between calm and medium rollers, and the wind was strong but intermittent. Around 2 hrs into the trip I was bored with fishing, and the rain had let up, so it seemed like the perfect time to give it a go. I had the captains permission, so I went up to the top deck and prepped my bird.

The launch was easy - I just waited for a calm, level moment, and up she went (interestingly I did not get immediate sat lock). Flying was fairly routine, I stayed out for about 10 minutes, got some stills (see attached), and then decided to land.

I knew this would be the tricky part, and I was not disappointed. Bringing her in close was a cinch, but the last 6 feet were harrowing as I was moving with the boat, plus there were obstacles, tall net poles, fishing poles, antennas. I put the controller in my right hand and ,maneuvered the drone into position, this took several tries, finally, I jammed my thumb down on the left stick and with my left hand grabbed the Air and viola, landed her.

All in all, this "proof of concept" was a great experience. I now have more confidence to try it again. Love my MA2.

Attachments

• DJI_0311-2.jpg
    DJI_0311-2.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 139
  • DJI_0313-2.jpg
    DJI_0313-2.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 131
  • DJI_0322-2.jpg
    DJI_0322-2.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 131
  • DJI_0327-2.jpg
    DJI_0327-2.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 131
  • DJI_0328-2.jpg
    DJI_0328-2.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 128
  • DJI_0329-2.jpg
    DJI_0329-2.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 117
The ability to capture those sort of pics / footage will make you a popular guy :)
Can be quite the spectator hobby too! I keep getting invited to pool parties lately...

Yesterday I went fluke fishing with my brother and some old buddies from the neighborhood off the Atlantic Highlands in New Jersey.

I've been fishing on party boats on the Atlantic for years, but this time I packed up my MA2. I did a bit of homework regarding launching from a boat - hand release and catch - but I was genuinely nervous, especially reading horror stories from seasoned pilots.

The sea was somewhere between calm and medium rollers, and the wind was strong but intermittent. Around 2 hrs into the trip I was bored with fishing, and the rain had let up, so it seemed like the perfect time to give it a go. I had the captains permission, so I went up to the top deck and prepped my bird.

The launch was easy - I just waited for a calm, level moment, and up she went (interestingly I did not get immediate sat lock). Flying was fairly routine, I stayed out for about 10 minutes, got some stills (see attached), and then decided to land.

I knew this would be the tricky part, and I was not disappointed. Bringing her in close was a cinch, but the last 6 feet were harrowing as I was moving with the boat, plus there were obstacles, tall net poles, fishing poles, antennas. I put the controller in my right hand and ,maneuvered the drone into position, this took several tries, finally, I jammed my thumb down on the left stick and with my left hand grabbed the Air and viola, landed her.

All in all, this "proof of concept" was a great experience. I now have more confidence to try it again. Love my MA2.
turn off the obstacle avoidance & landing protection when hand-catching on return?

Reactions: emvision

Great story and glad it worked. I am practicing to use my mini off my boat but have to wait for the hurricane to pass Fla.

I fly off boats all the time and when landing I find it easiest to bring the drone in backwards.
Agreed, that's what I did, not because I planned it that way, it just seemed like the way to do it.

Reactions: bp328i
Agreed, that's what I did, not because I planned it that way, it just seemed like the way to do it.
Yeah, coming in backwards is the best way to do it on a boat, you move the stick left the drone goes left, you move it right and the drone goes right. There is just to much other stuff going on while trying to land on a boat to have one more thing to remember and move the sticks in the opposite direction (if the drone is facing you).

Last edited:
I am very keen to try this, i have plenty of experience flying inland, but the whole boat thing worries me, as my boat is certainly not drone friendly, the rear deck covers a large lump of an engine, and the front feck is slightly rounded with handrails and the like, so no obvious launch site. I had been thinking of flying from land, and having a pal fly whilst i drive the boat, but alas all of the local harbours neer my mooring have huge radar or no fly zones, and a military watch site is known to totally stop drones, si its a work in progress. Nice to read about a sucess though, i will practice my hand landing

Reactions: CommanderKJDF
Really cool photos! And good story. I can feel your stress on landing the drone. While boat is moving, it's tricky to land drone in the hand. I have done once sailing boat launch+landing and it takes much more time to land, so it's always good idea to have enough battery life left. Also in worst scenario (heavy wind etc.) you need to land the drone some else (to land) and go pick it up later.

I found that it is better to land the drone in sport mode, so obstacle avoidance is off. Then get the drone going same direction than the boat and softly move closer to the boat and land it to the hand. Of course if you have a friend who could catch the drone, it's always useful to have extra hands.

I will practice that next time I fly. Btw why do you do that?
I'll fly the drone back to the boat normally but for lining up the landing (hand catch) I have the drone backwards. The reason is, if you move the right stick right, the drone goes right. If you move the right stick left, the drone goes left.

There is already a lot going on on a boat and with the drone facing you remembering to move the stick left to make the drone go right is one less thing to worry about.

If it's a flat day on the water that's one thing but I've hand caught my drones on days where the boat is really rolling.

I'll fly the drone back to the boat normally but for lining up the landing (hand catch) I have the drone backwards. The reason is, if you move the right stick right, the drone goes right. If you move the right stick left, the drone goes left.

There is already a lot going on on a boat and with the drone facing you remembering to move the stick left to make the drone go right is one less thing to worry about.

If it's a flat day on the water that's one thing but I've hand caught my drones on days where the boat is really rolling.
Thank you so much. ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juanfraf