DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First crash. Minor scratches on camera lens.

Abuskeletor

Reactions
So, RTH caught me off guard while I was focused on the drone and not the app, and my Mavic Air flew up into a tree, then stopped and fell to the ground. I cleaned it up, started it up and it hovered and was stable. I was on my last battery, so I haven’t done much else to test it. Two things: 1. I have a couple scratches on the lens. How bad does that look to someone with more experience than I? 2. It said something about switching to secondary IMU after the crash. Do I need to take action on that?

My batteries are recharging now so I can test it more thoroughly.

Attachments

• IMG_5433.JPG
    IMG_5433.JPG
    421.4 KB · Views: 140
I would definitely do an IMU calibration.
Do scratches show up in pictures? If not, leave it be.

I got the batteries charged and played with it a bit. Compass and IMU are calibrated and the app shows all systems green. Flys steady, gimbal works right. Shot some pics in the house and didn’t notice any distortion or artifacts. I think I’m in the clear. Thing took a 30’ drop after the RTH took it into the branches. I’m not impressed with RTH, but I am impressed by the durability of this thing.

dumb robots just do what they are programed to do

If it is scratched, bear in mind it’s not actually a lens but a clear cover. You could buy a set of ND filters that would screw on instead and also give you picture benefits.

Reactions: cyzerman
If it is scratched, bear in mind it’s not actually a lens but a clear cover. You could buy a set of ND filters that would screw on instead and also give you picture benefits.

When you detach the existing ring around the thread, there is no clear cover, it's just a plastic ring. These scratches are on the lens themselves. Adding a ND filter will not help you in this instance.

You sure the lens is scratched? Not on a mavic but I had a lens that was thought to be scratched,,, turned out to be some kind of buger.

Now I wonder if someone makes a screen protector for this thing!

You sure the lens is scratched? Not on a mavic but I had a lens that was thought to be scratched,,, turned out to be some kind of buger.

Yeah, I tried to clean the lens up, and the marks in the picture are definitely scratches. I took some test shots and didn’t see any issues.

When you detach the existing ring around the thread, there is no clear cover, it's just a plastic ring. These scratches are on the lens themselves. Adding a ND filter will not help you in this instance.

You’re absolutely right, apologies. A shame really, a clear lens attached to the ring would have been a good design choice to help with exactly this scenario. Leaving an ND filter on permanently would seem like a great idea.

Reactions: Abuskeletor

PolarPro makes a UV filter -- no ND correction -- that can be left on all the time if you don't want to use ND.

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
PolarPro makes a UV filter -- no ND correction -- that can be left on all the time if you don't want to use ND.
I have the PolarPro UV filter, and leave it on all the time, specifically for the protection. I’ve been using UV filters as lense (and filter thread) protectors for decades. NOTE: make sure the filter is no higher than the original ring, to be sure that you can install the gimbal protector correctly, on top of the filter; PolarPro fits, but some don’t - check the spec before buying.

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13