DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First DJI

Reactions
I was going to buy a Spark but found that it is no longer available, so to get into the drone scene I am going to buy the Mini, I looked at the Air but can't justify the cost for a first drone. Was the Spark a better drone than the Mini? Should I get a second user Spark or will the Mini be OK? I intend to use it for recording footage for my metal detecting channel and for holidays.

Maybe get u dji refurb spark?

from my understanding the sparks a tank compared to the mini (based on other posts here) but really depends on who u ask

Last edited:
I don’t own a Mini, but I own a couple of the bigger Mavic, and a Spark. If I was in the market I wouldn’t touch the Mini with a barge pole. The Spark however is solid, and reliable.
You can still get them here in the UK -if you don’t mind refurbished - Refurbished Drones | Drones Direct

I don’t own a Mini, but I own a couple of the bigger Mavic, and a Spark. If I was in the market I wouldn’t touch the Mini with a barge pole. The Spark however is solid, and reliable.
You can still get them here in the UK -if you don’t mind refurbished - Refurbished Drones | Drones Direct

So the Spark beats the Mini? Pity DJI discontinued the Spark...

So the Spark beats the Mini? Pity DJI discontinued the Spark...
I own a Spark and I'm a member of the Spark forums, and there are no losses on there that are caused by a Spark not being powerful enough to fight a bit of wind (that I can recall).

There a loads on here about the Mini being blown away, literally.
There also seems to be major issues with the Mini making uncontrolled descents.

That said, I don't own a Mini, and there are plenty of people that use it without issue. I think the main problem is that some people think it can perform at the same level as the bigger Mavics, when it can't (some of that is down to DJI's chosen Youtube testers).

DJI seem so focused on getting the weight down (which will be irrelevant in the UK and Europe from July anyway) that they shot themselves in the foot.

Mini video quality better than the Spark I think, but Spark beats it in every other way.

Not to shill, but I'm selling my spark on the spark pilots forum under classifieds, check it out, mint condition.
Edit: i see youre in UK nevermind ?

My spark never had any issues flying and did well on breezy days. The only reason im selling it is to fund getting a mavic 2 pro so i can do more professional camera work.

Was very happy with the spark. It just didn't have a good enough camera for professional cinematography

Mini video quality better than the Spark I think, but Spark beats it in every other way.

Not to shill, but I'm selling my spark on the spark pilots forum under classifieds, check it out, mint condition.
Edit: i see youre in UK nevermind ?

My spark never had any issues flying and did well on breezy days. The only reason im selling it is to fund getting a mavic 2 pro so i can do more professional camera work.

Was very happy with the spark. It just didn't have a good enough camera for professional cinematography

Thanks for the info, I am just a little concerned that the Mini will be lost due to wind. I was nearly ready to purchase the Spark, then the Mini was released and the Spark was disconnected.

How better is the camera on the Mini is to the Spark?

Thanks for the info, I am just a little concerned that the Mini will be lost due to wind. I was nearly ready to purchase the Spark, then the Mini was released and the Spark was disconnected.

How better is the camera on the Mini is to the Spark?

Check this

Mini and Spark both 12mp camera, same sensor. Optics quality on the mini is slightly sharper.

The bigger difference is with video. Spark is "only" 1080p, with a 2 axis gimble. Mini is 2.7K QHD video with a 3 axis gimbal.

Aside from that, the spark is a more capable drone, IMO, for the flying aspect. Better battery life (I think?), does better in stronger winds, no flyaway issues, etc

Check this

Mini and Spark both 12mp camera, same sensor. Optics quality on the mini is slightly sharper.

The bigger difference is with video. Spark is "only" 1080p, with a 2 axis gimble. Mini is 2.7K QHD video with a 3 axis gimbal.

Aside from that, the spark is a more capable drone, IMO, for the flying aspect. Better battery life (I think?), does better in stronger winds, no flyaway issues, etc

Thanks for the link very informative. Spark has some good point as does the Mini.....

The Mini has excellent battery life, better than the M2. I get about 23min flight time with M2, but I cab get 25-27 min with Mini.

Spark has a flight time spec'd at 15-16 minutes.

Reactions: Suffolk Sifter
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nilesh