DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Drone

D2010MJ

Reactions
So, I’ve been looking at drones for the last 3 years and now I’m ready to part with some cash!

I can see some good deals on the Mavic Pro, Platinum Pro etc etc, However, I’m really excited about the Mavic 2.

I’ve also been looking at the Yuneec Typhoon H and I’m really struggle with the decision making.

Bit of advice or a few opinions from the great people out there would be really appreciated.

Thanks guys in advance.

So, I’ve been looking at drones for the last 3 years and now I’m ready to part with some cash!

I can see some good deals on the Mavic Pro, Platinum Pro etc etc, However, I’m really excited about the Mavic 2.

I’ve also been looking at the Yuneec Typhoon H and I’m really struggle with the decision making.

Bit of advice or a few opinions from the great people out there would be really appreciated.

Thanks guys in advance.
Howdy from Wyoming @D2010MJ , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Reactions: D2010MJ
Hi D2,

I was in the same boat and very nearly pushed the button 3 months ago with a mavic Air. However, I held off and then heard the rumours of The Mavic 2 so more waiting and then after even more waiting, took the plunge on my first drone, a mavic 2 zoom. Don’t know much about theYuneec but am over the moon with the M2Z. I’ve a lot to learn but so far, it’s going ok as I’m taking it one step at a time. Crawl, walk, run then jump. But mostly, enjoy.

Hi D2,

I was in the same boat and very nearly pushed the button 3 months ago with a mavic Air. However, I held off and then heard the rumours of The Mavic 2 so more waiting and then after even more waiting, took the plunge on my first drone, a mavic 2 zoom. Don’t know much about theYuneec but am over the moon with the M2Z. I’ve a lot to learn but so far, it’s going ok as I’m taking it one step at a time. Crawl, walk, run then jump. But mostly, enjoy.

Thanks Jasper [emoji1303]

I love my Mavic 2 Pro! Best DJI Drone yet, I've flown them all, you get the most bang for your buck there. And welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio! Fly safe and have fun!

I started with the spark 6 months ago. I just got the M2 yesterday. Although I have only ever flown DJI drones, I can say that that are great for a skill levels, beginner to seasoned pilot.

My recommendation is to buy a toy drone and learn to fly it first. Get something for right around $30 - $60. It won't fly well, won't hold position, but it will a good learning experience.

My recommendation is to buy a toy drone and learn to fly it first. Get something for right around $30 - $60. It won't fly well, won't hold position, but it will a good learning experience.

There's nothing you'd learn on a $30 toy drone that crosses over to a DJI drone. They have completely different flight characteristics.

...Crawl, walk, run then jump...
Then crash.

Just kidding. I can't speak for other models, but I am amazed each time I fly my MP. I had some cheaper RC helicopters that I stopped flying due to their instability and the high rate of crashes but my MP is amazingly stable.

Do your research to find what fits your requirements (camera, range, portability, etc) and jump in. It has been a great ride for me.

There's nothing you'd learn on a $30 toy drone that crosses over to a DJI drone. They have completely different flight characteristics.
I agree they have different flight characteristics.

I completely disagree for many reasons that there's nothing to learn on a toy drone that would cross over. Learning to fly a toy drone is a great education in how to fly a drone. I'd go as far as saying anyone interested in flying learn on an inexpensive toy drone first.

My MA is my first drone. I've had rc helicopters .Smaller quads. Rc airplane.. Nothing but terminology was transferrable.

They all flew well, but had no where near the control or stability. This would lead to frustration crashes, poor flying skills. Also with the very limited flight time of a smaller/toy sized you hardly learn. Just as you have it under your control the battery dies.

Buying a gps enabled drone is the best idea to learn.

I have a Mavic Pro. I am also a relative newbie to droning. I am very happy with it and still have not fully used it to its capabilities. With the release of the new Mavic 2 series I recon the best value for money at the moment would be a Mavic Pro 1 or Platinum. They have dropped in price and are a great DJI platform to learn from. I will use it till I am confident I can’t do any more with it then sell it and upgrade to a Pro 2. By then a pro 3 will likely be out and the 2 will have dropped in price. [emoji16] just my opinion anyway.

Last edited:

Thanks guys in advance.

Ive owned a yuneec H
I had tons of issues and after 10 month battle I was able to get all my money back and used it to buy an Inspire 2. I hear the new THs are better however.

But, I will recommend you get the mavic pro or platinum or mavic 2 pro if you can justify the extra.

The mavic 1 is amazing. I fly that also along with a mavic air, own all three right now.

The portable nature of the mavic 1 is so worth it. If you need the upgraded camera capability and can justify it get the mavic 2.

I like my air but after having it for a few months I really miss the very excellent radio system in the mavic 1 over the air.

I would strongly suggest you get the mavic 1 or 2 based on your camera need and what you can justify for price. You will not be disappointed with them

The mavic 2 Zoom seems like the same camera as the pro and plat but higher bit rate and zoom. So that’s a very viable option. I’d buy any mavic 1 or 2 based on your ability to accept the price. Great value out of the mavic 1 line

Good luck with your decision.

Learning to fly a toy drone is a great education in how to fly a drone. I'd go as far as saying anyone interested in flying learn on an inexpensive toy drone first.

I'd argue you don't "fly" a DJI drone. You point the control sticks in the direction you want the drone to go. The flight controller does the flying. There is virtually no skill involved.

Even ATTI mode is far more sophisticated than a toy drone.

Read the manual, then push the left stick up until well above any obstacles and practice.

Reactions: Andy.
Then crash.

Just kidding. I can't speak for other models, but I am amazed each time I fly my MP. I had some cheaper RC helicopters that I stopped flying due to their instability and the high rate of crashes but my MP is amazingly stable.

Do your research to find what fits your requirements (camera, range, portability, etc) and jump in. It has been a great ride for me.

Yeah, I think that’s the problem. I do want one for fun, and taking some flight footage but it is more for fun and a hobby.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mieciu