DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Flight Over Water

Reelman67

Reactions
Purchased my first drone (Mavic Pro) 6 weeks ago from a party that won it at a company annual meeting and did not want it. So, I bought it, and an extra flight battery for much below retail, read the manual, over and over. Did all the firmware updates. Found this forum and am hooked. Learned much from all the posts. Registered with the FAA, and have affixed the registration number on the body as per mandate. Like so many of you, I've found there is much fear of drones out there, limiting our choices of where to fly. So, I've looked for large properties in which to fly, asking permission to do so, and have had a fair amount of success in securing landowner trust. So, today I flew for the first time over a lake (2,000 meters in length), which happens to be closer to a military base/airfield than I would like (5 miles or so distant). Also, an electronics site on a mountaintop 1 mile to the south of my liftoff position. Halfway down the lake (150' AGL), I got a disconnect msg (briefly) on my controller, then connection was restored. Could this be geofencing? Taking no chances, I promptly turned around, used RTH and returned to the point of origin. No problems. I fly using P-mode. Haven't tried Sport mode. Any thoughts?

I don't think it was geo-fencing. Geo-fencing doesn't disconnect your drone, it creates a wall of sorts where your mavic will just stop; like hitting a digital wall. I fly alot over water, and actually prefer it. 150' is a good altitude to be over water.

I don't think it was geo-fencing. Geo-fencing doesn't disconnect your drone, it creates a wall of sorts where your mavic will just stop; like hitting a digital wall. I fly alot over water, and actually prefer it. 150' is a good altitude to be over water.

I suppose there are myriad reasons for a disconnect msg. I am overly cautious here. Don't want my Mavic to become a submarine. Haven't crashed it yet, don't want to. Thanks for your input.