DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Flight, Phone Cut Off

jbeggin

Reactions
Hello everyone, I just got the Mavic for Christmas and flew it yesterday for the first time. I got everything connected and calibrated, took off, and then my phone just suddenly cut off. I have an iPhone 6s and everything was fine when I was setting everything up and the phone was fully charged, but it still just cut off and had a symbol like it was dead. When I took it out of the controller, I was able to cut it back on and it had an almost full battery charge. Has anybody had this issue before? Just need some advice or help on this, please. Other than this, flying was awesome. Thanks!

Try using a different cable to connect.

What exactly does "cut off" mean?

I've never heard of such an issue. I don't think trying a different cable is going to help.

Reactions: MotherOfDrones
What iOS ver are you running, where you in airplane mode, sounds like an issue with your phone.
I am not running iOS. Do you think I need to update my phone? Just terrified of updating since everybody I talk to that has updated has had a super laggy phone. Nor was I on airplane mode.

Reactions: FASTFJR
Have you had the battery changed in the iPhone 6s? There was a battery replacement program for some iPhones (prior to the current iOS 11 related replacement program).

You can check to see if your Phone is eligible here.
iPhone 6s Program for Unexpected Shutdown Issues - Apple Support
I thought that this might be the problem, but when I cut it back on it was over 80% charged. It was just really weird because it happened mid-flight and show the red icon that had the phone and the charger on the screen, but then it was charged when I cut it on.

I thought that this might be the problem, but when I cut it back on it was over 80% charged. It was just really weird because it happened mid-flight and show the red icon that had the phone and the charger on the screen, but then it was charged when I cut it on.
That sounds like the exact behavior I had on my iPhone 6s before I had them replace the battery.

This sounds exactly like what my iPhone 6 started doing before the battery bit the dirt! Battery @ 60 - 80% then dead, plug it in and battery is back to 60 % almost immediately. Without using it with the RC, so I would say it could be battery related. Trying another cable certainly couldn’t hurt if you have one.

I am not running iOS. Do you think I need to update my phone? Just terrified of updating since everybody I talk to that has updated has had a super laggy phone. Nor was I on airplane mode.
Just out of curiosity, if you're not running iOS, what are you running on your phone?

It definitely sounds ds like a hardware problem. I've been using my iPhone 6s with my mavic and no issues at all.

You are running iOS - it's the apple operating system which every apple device uses. Which version of it are you running? Unless you need any of the features from the latest Apple update I wouldn't update your phone. My 6s plus is running on a year old iOS version and works flawlessly with the Mavic - I don't use it for anything other than as a display for the Mavic so haven't bothered to update it. Try the usual things like closing down all running apps except DJI Go, put it in airplane mode and then launch the Mavic in a low stationary hover to see if it cuts out again without risking the Mavic...

Reactions: MotherOfDrones
Just out of curiosity, if you're not running iOS, what are you running on your phone?

It definitely sounds like a hardware problem. I've been using my iPhone 6s with my mavic and no issues at all.
My thoughts exactly, Doesn't he know that an iPhone 6s runs on iOS. I have an iPhone 6 and have NOT had any problems running current FW, GO4, iOS. My Phone battery life is still within specs. It isn't "laggy" what ever that means.

I've never heard of such an issue. I don't think trying a different cable is going to help.
I was thinking a bad cable could be "shorting" something out, thus the phone would power off for circuit protection...

You are running iOS - it's the apple operating system which every apple device uses. Which version of it are you running? Unless you need any of the features from the latest Apple update I wouldn't update your phone. My 6s plus is running on a year old iOS version and works flawlessly with the Mavic - I don't use it for anything other than as a display for the Mavic so haven't bothered to update it. Try the usual things like closing down all running apps except DJI Go, put it in airplane mode and then launch the Mavic in a low stationary hover to see if it cuts out again without risking the Mavic...
Sorry, I meant to say not running the latest version of iOS. All my apps were closed when I flew, but I will try putting it in airplane mode next time to see if it cuts off again. I will keep y'all updated if I have another issue, but hopefully everything runs smoothly next time.

It's happened to me twice. Both times I think I was on the end of my second Mavic battery. I don't think it's a faulty battery problem, as I've had mine replaced and it never shuts down when in normal use.

I just thought that having the screen on full brightness for 40mins non stop running the GO4 app had something to do with it.

May be the phone needs a break between battery changes?

It's happened to me twice. Both times I think I was on the end of my second Mavic battery. I don't think it's a faulty battery problem, as I've had mine replaced and it never shuts down when in normal use.

I just thought that having the screen on full brightness for 40mins non stop running the GO4 app had something to do with it.

May be the phone needs a break between battery changes?
I only flew the drone for about 7 minutes total on this first flight. Since the weather is much colder than usual here, I just wanted to get the MP off the ground. I think I am going to try some of the suggestions by this forum on my next flight, like airplane mode. If this doesn't work, I might need to look into getting a cheap phone to use only for the MP or just use my iPad to fly with.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scaredycat