DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First flight test with laptop projection via Miracast

Hexagon

Reactions
Aloha everyone,

I thought I would make my flight more interesting to friends so I tried projecting my android screen to my Windows 10 laptop via Miracast. Everything seemed OK, very small lag, and perfect image. However, flight proved to be scary and I think I will never try it again...

Phone Specs: LG G3, Android 6.0, Snapdragon 801 Quad Core @ 2.5Ghz., Adreno 330 GPU and 3GB of RAM
Never had a single issue while flying with wifi OFF and airplane mode ON.

Location was in a very low density area next to my house so I can have wifi on to be able to cast to laptop. I did my pre-flight checklist as usual, hovered and tried all input, forgot airplane mode to OFF...(pfff). After a couple of minutes and as I was getting away gaining altitude I encountered lag. Image was getting choppy and the Mavic seemed to respond with lag to my commands, I was flying LOS most of the time so I was able to understand its erratic behavior. Thus, and at the blink of an eye, I decided to get it back asap. @100m away I encountered 3 different messages on my screen, Weak Signal, Strong Interference to remote, and signal lost aircraft RTH, all at the same time.It regained signal almost immediately...I didnt panic, thx to all the things and horror stories I have read over this forum I decided to toggle sports mode after a few seconds so I took over and landed with no drama... I thing that this was caused by two things, interference from my wifi and cellular data since I was trying to cast to pc and also forgot airplane mode off, as well as phone processing lag due to miracast along with DJI Go. Phone was burning after 3-4 minutes of flying...

I think I got lucky... I am not trying this again....

Been doing it a few times with my Mate 8 without issue.
You want to use a 5GHz WiFi so as not to disturb the aircraft->remote 2.4GHz connection.

That is a very good idea. I wish the Mavic could use both 2.4 & 5.8 like the P4Pro. My rooter supports 5.8GHZ operation. I will give it a try! So the only thing remaining to battle is my phone processing power :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calezu