DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First impressions

Bleary View

Reactions
Hello folks,

I recently purchased a a BT-300 and have managed to get a lot of testing/acclimation in over the past week. Here are my first impressions.

The bits I like.
  • It took me a day or so to work out best position on my head but it sits just fine and gives great clarity to the incoming camera footage. I read somewhere that the far corners of the image can be difficult to see and this has been the case with me a couple of times but it does not detract from the flying experience
  • We had our once a year week of good weather here in the UK and the bright sunlight does impact the image quality. I have applied a fix that greatly improves the image quality even in bright sunlight. I have taken one of the sun visor attachments and applied a thin band of black electrical tape in line with the projected images on each eye glass. When the visor is fitted to the main frame it gives a solid background for the projected image and makes it a lot easier to read the flight data etc. Doing this does not restrict my view of the drone so am still compliant with the drone code etc. I would love Epson to amend one of the attachable visors with this already made solid
  • I have found the flight experience to be greatly enhanced with the BT-300 and very quickly the whole set up felt very comfortable allowing me to focus a lot more on the framing of video and pictures
  • Safety wise, I found I can seamlessly switch between looking directly at drone and the images coming in and it felt like I had a lot more control of the aircraft. I have a long background in flying model aircraft and I naturally want to keep my eyes fixed on the craft and these glasses really help me in this area
The bits that are not so great
  • I have foundThe touch pad to be a tad unpredictable. Sometimes it is over sensitive and you end up on the desk top. Other times it takes a couple of times to scroll the screen for instance. I found this to be a pain when adjusting the camera for the current light conditions as an example. To be fair, it probably my dumpy figures and my inability to apply a consistent touch but so far I have not found a away to adjust this setting
  • Not a great fan of the audio configuration. I would have preferred a built in speaker to the main unit and having to plug a headset into my ear is another cable dangling around my head. I think bluetooth is built in so maybe try an external speaker and see if I can get that to work. It a minor niggle in the scheme of things
Overall I am very happy with my purchase and the BT-300 has really added another layer of immersion., they are not cheap but they a something I will use most of the time when flying.

Reactions: f13dfx and chillroy
You may have zigged when you should have zagged.

The FPV/Drone edition
These come with a Blue iridium coated Rochestor shield that does exactly what you wish in Bright sunlight.

I would recommend not using the Auto-Brightness, it tends to make them flicker.
The brightness goes all the way to 20, and theres no reason not to leave it there.
It's not really a Brightness in the traditional screen sense, but the power of the projected image.
It's unlikely the image is ever blocking your view

Also the audio solution is ideal, As they are used for majority visual applications where no audio is needed.
You would be catering the minority and clunking the majority.
people are likely to want to use their own headphone anyway.
I have the HDMI version. I didnt know the module even supported a media player.

Anyway good luck, wise choice , fer the most part.
Also look into the VR enclosure by rochestor if you are using them for AV

Reactions: EpsonMoverio
I purchased the BT-300 smart glasses with my first DJI Drone in March 2019 and NEVER fly without them. When people say that it enhances the overall flight experience, that's spot on. I also love the fact that I don't suffer any motion sickness wearing the glasses. They're pretty cool for watching Netflix which can be downloaded with a little research. It's like watching an 80" screen right in front of you although I have to admit I rarely use it for that purpose after the initial novelty. Are the glasses worth paying full price for? Absolutely, it doesn't make sense to me to look down at your phone and then up at your drone when you can maintain line of sight and FPV simultaneously.

Reactions: pelagic_one
I think the whole concept of them ticking a FAA 107 box (or loophole) for VR and VLOS is just that.

The idea of looking at your drone and it's point of view is like tapping your head and rubbing your stomach
It's Tricky, and your brain fights it because it wants to choose one or the to other.

In any sort of sunlight you need a shade to see the screen with contrast, and if you can see the screen, it's likely you cant see your drone. It's as simple as that really.
Why Epson didnt include a simple hardware button to switch view to the side camera is beyond me.

To me they are just a nice VR solution. The Augmented aspect of them is neat as you can see your basic surroundings so you dont have to raise or drop them all the time.

I can land with them on, but i still opt to raise them when the Drone is near me.

And if you have the HDMI box (everyone should), you will have a screen awell, so you can operate the touch screen through them.

And not to sound snobby, but i cant imagine using them with the module. To me their an extension of the screen, to use
when FPV view is going to trump the tablet

This thread got me interested, so I then went to youtube. I watch this guy's videos from time to time, and this review is pretty good.

Also, it answered a few questions that those of us who wear glasses may have. That was really what I wanted to find out first. All else is moot if I can't see what they have to offer. It would be awesome if they supported connecting to my Iphone. That would make the purchase..!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato