DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First job.. what now? HELP....

It's all about practice until it's in your DNA and automatic muscle memory. While one *could* reverse the yaw, I am not a believer in doing that as IMO it only leads to confusion... My brain would go "What mode am I in?"... and then if no time to switch back to fly foward ya got bigger trouble. I know *I* need a ton more practice flying backwards.
It’s much easier to fly backwards to me than
Fly with drone facing me.
That’s where I always have to stop and think what to do...

The controls are only backwards if the drone is facing you and only from your point of view, the controls are always the same from the perspective of the live view.

Ahh... Which leads me to one of the questions I was pondering on posting in a separate thread. When flying POV rather than LOS as noted above, if not in the wide open, how do you make sure you have enough clearance? Perhaps it's easier to appoximate the width space because of the horizontal wide angle lens, but so difficult to know how much room you have above and below. Any tips? I've tried a two FPV landings where I had LOS, but no visual advantage and seem to be off by inches both time... which was enough for the props to get nicked up. The ends of tree branches are very hard to spot, even going slow in C mode.

Ahh... Which leads me to one of the questions I was pondering on posting in a separate thread. When flying POV rather than LOS as noted above, if not in the wide open, how do you make sure you have enough clearance? Perhaps it's easier to appoximate the width space because of the horizontal wide angle lens, but so difficult to know how much room you have above and below. Any tips? I've tried a two FPV landings where I had LOS, but no visual advantage and seem to be off by inches both time... which was enough for the props to get nicked up. The ends of tree branches are very hard to spot, even going slow in C mode.
@RadioFlyerMan showed me a really neat trick for this. It should be noted that this is just an approximation and is to be used with caution but if you turn on the grid in your camera view with the nine boxes, anything outside the middle box you are unlikely to hit if the camera is level to the ground.
4A4D656B-4241-406E-BE27-4EEEA0D9ABD2.jpeg
For instance, you would be able to fly though the outer circle (if weren’t solid). This doesn’t mean you’d hit something that is in the middle square, that would depend on your distance to the object, you just aren’t likely to hit anything outside that area. This is due to the field of view of the drone.

You can see from this video that from a distance that actually anything below the horizon should clear but using the middle third method works all the way up to just a few inches

Reactions: TreeHugger
@RadioFlyerMan showed me a really neat trick for this. It should be noted that this is just an approximation and is to be used with caution but if you turn on the grid in your camera view with the nine boxes, anything outside the middle box you are unlikely to hit if the camera is level to the ground.
View attachment 112042
For instance, you would be able to fly though the outer circle (if weren’t solid). This doesn’t mean you’d hit something that is in the middle square, that would depend on your distance to the object, you just aren’t likely to hit anything outside that area. This is due to the field of view of the drone.

You can see from this video that from a distance that actually anything below the horizon should clear but using the middle third method works all the way up to just a few inches

Good tip. I'm going to have to do some slow motion/close-up testing to see what I can see. Descending into areas where I don't have a good viewing angle can be an issue too. I suppose I can use the same trick with the gimbal pointed straight down. Theoretically one should be able to put a Mini through a very small space.

The one thing I haven't seen mentioned is liability insurance. Some high dollar boats/ships, with folks standing on the "poopdecks", or playing "king of the world", all you need is an "incident".

Make sure you havce some sort of liability coverage. For my bits, I use Verifly. On demand coverage, and cheap, considering the alternative.

Check them out:

• Love
Reactions: vindibona1
Nowadays, I sometimes fly in reverse, with the thought of maintaining a proficiency without reversing the yaw stick.

I was doing some pre-visualization practice and it occurred to me that if you line up the drone's yaw angle with fair accuracy, if flying level you should be able to do almost all the reverse flying with almost all right stick, provided the subject is moving in a straight line. I would suspect a flotilla wouldn't be deviating that much from a continuous direction.

The one thing I haven't seen mentioned is liability insurance. Some high dollar boats/ships, with folks standing on the "poopdecks", or playing "king of the world", all you need is an "incident".

Make sure you havce some sort of liability coverage. For my bits, I use Verifly. On demand coverage, and cheap, considering the alternative.

Check them out:

I think on-demand insurance is an important thing to have unless you're flying every day when a full time, full coverage policy would be better. However, I went to sign up for Verifly and was bothered by their "terms of service", where they basically state that they're going to collect, process and sell my information to 3rd parties. I may go back to them, and love your idea, but I think I'm going to research other companies first whose first intent is not to sell my information which will further clog my email and increase the number of robocalls I get each day.

I live in Arkansas and this Saturday I’m being ask to fly the Trump flotilla on Degray lake.
The first one was yesterday at another lake and I’m told there were 4 miles of boats all sporting Trump flags and support..
WOW!!!
Ok, I’m working with a Mavic Pro and plan on doing video in 4K as well as 1080 for zoom.
Also pics..
The customer is an individual that I know from high school.
He knows I recently passed my 107 from my FB post and reached out today..
Guys I have no idea what to even quote as a fair price..
Do I charge hourly?
I don’t have an editing option other than the dji app.
My laptop fried not to long ago...
Do I shoot raw footage and sell the sd card?
Do I edit from the dji go for app?
It’s a hundred Mile drive as well.
I will really appreciate any and all help.
Remember I’m in rural Ark. So I don’t feel like
I can’t charge big city prices..
But I mean local news affiliates will be there too and today’s coverage did not include drone footage..
Can I try to approach them as well?
Or stick to the one customer?

Guys I just had another great idea I think..
What if I set up a canopy, have a table and chairs with my business
Sign and sell everyone interested pics/ video..
I could take orders and do individual boats, then include the flotilla.
I have a business account and card reader, I could set up shop and
I feel like a lot of people would love to buy memories of this event.
Heck I could even contact Trumps campaign folks and maybe score really big by selling them footage..
Not only that but think of the exposure I would get..

What do u think?
Do you have liability ins. or are you going to use a service like Verifly?
I have AMA's commercial coverage that give 1.5 Mil. in liability, $50K medical per person, plus hull ins. on 3 drones, Mavic Pro, Mavic 2 Pro and a Phantom 4 Pro V2.0 for $824 annually

Hey guys,
Hey I appreciate your interest very much.
It was cancelled by the client Friday night.
They said they weren’t prepared to pay that
Amount.,
Lol..
I quoted them what I thought was a very fair
Price.
I told them I would charge $400 for an estimated 2-4 hours or work.
I explained that many expenses went into the
Making of the quote.
1. Fuel
2. Insurance
3. Equipment wear and tear
4. My time editing ( They wanted videos to have
Patriotic music.

$400 was extremely cheap in my opinion.
I guess they thought I would do it for free!!!
Anyway I could have gone and tried to sell
Footage to others but that was no guarantee..
Thanks again for ur interest.
JohnnyD913

I think on-demand insurance is an important thing to have unless you're flying every day when a full time, full coverage policy would be better. However, I went to sign up for Verifly and was bothered by their "terms of service", where they basically state that they're going to collect, process and sell my information to 3rd parties. I may go back to them, and love your idea, but I think I'm going to research other companies first whose first intent is not to sell my information which will further clog my email and increase the number of robocalls I get each day.
Try SkyWatch.ai for on-demand.

Hey guys,
Hey I appreciate your interest very much.
It was cancelled by the client Friday night.
They said they weren’t prepared to pay that
Amount.,
Lol..
I quoted them what I thought was a very fair
Price.
I told them I would charge $400 for an estimated 2-4 hours or work.
I explained that many expenses went into the
Making of the quote.
1. Fuel
2. Insurance
3. Equipment wear and tear
4. My time editing ( They wanted videos to have
Patriotic music.

$400 was extremely cheap in my opinion.
I guess they thought I would do it for free!!!
Anyway I could have gone and tried to sell
Footage to others but that was no guarantee..
Thanks again for ur interest.
JohnnyD913
Just curious what they thought it was going to cost or did they really think you were gonna drive 100 miles and do a gig for free?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato