DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First job.. what now? HELP....

JohnnyD913

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I live in Arkansas and this Saturday I’m being ask to fly the Trump flotilla on Degray lake.
The first one was yesterday at another lake and I’m told there were 4 miles of boats all sporting Trump flags and support..
WOW!!!
Ok, I’m working with a Mavic Pro and plan on doing video in 4K as well as 1080 for zoom.
Also pics..
The customer is an individual that I know from high school.
He knows I recently passed my 107 from my FB post and reached out today..
Guys I have no idea what to even quote as a fair price..
Do I charge hourly?
I don’t have an editing option other than the dji app.
My laptop fried not to long ago...
Do I shoot raw footage and sell the sd card?
Do I edit from the dji go for app?
It’s a hundred Mile drive as well.
I will really appreciate any and all help.
Remember I’m in rural Ark. So I don’t feel like
I can’t charge big city prices..
But I mean local news affiliates will be there too and today’s coverage did not include drone footage..
Can I try to approach them as well?
Or stick to the one customer?

Guys I just had another great idea I think..
What if I set up a canopy, have a table and chairs with my business
Sign and sell everyone interested pics/ video..
I could take orders and do individual boats, then include the flotilla.
I have a business account and card reader, I could set up shop and
I feel like a lot of people would love to buy memories of this event.
Heck I could even contact Trumps campaign folks and maybe score really big by selling them footage..
Not only that but think of the exposure I would get..

What do u think?

Last edited:
Reactions: Little bird
I live in Arkansas and this Saturday I’m being ask to fly the Trump flotilla on Degray lake.
The first one was yesterday at another lake and I’m told there were 4 miles of boats all sporting Trump flags and support..
WOW!!!
Ok, I’m working with a Mavic Pro and plan on doing video in 4K as well as 1080 for zoom.
Also pics..
Do I charge hourly?
But I mean local news affiliates will be there too and today’s coverage did not include drone footage..
Thank u
Congrats! Sounds like a good gig.

This is a pretty big first gig. I’d say $800 -$1000 considering the travel distance for a half day shoot with no editing for a commercial client.

You’ll want to let him know that you can’t edit the footage. You’d do best to shoot the whole thing in 4k and let the editor do the zooming.

Ask your client if you can offer their footage to other parties otherwise consider the content to be exclusive to the client but that doesn’t mean you can’t stick around and get some other footage to shop around, just make sure it’s not the same footage. That’s my opinion anyway.

Congrats! Sounds like a good gig.

This is a pretty big first gig. I’d say $800 -$1000 considering the travel distance for a half day shoot with no editing for a commercial client.

You’ll want to let him know that you can’t edit the footage. You’d do best to shoot the whole thing in 4k and let the editor do the zooming.

Ask your client if you can offer their footage to other parties otherwise consider the content to be exclusive to the client but that doesn’t mean you can’t stick around and get some other footage to shop around, just make sure it’s not the same footage. That’s my opinion anyway.
Thank u brett8883,
Your right, I will contact client tomorrow and ask if they r ok with doing other
Filming AFTER theirs is complete.
The good news about him o think I can more or less shoot what he wants and
Transfer to his device.
I will know much more tomorrow.
I’m really nervous of I can’t tell..
Lol

Seems like you would have had all this planned out.
if your seriously going to pursue this business I would join
our sister forum Commercial Drone Pilots Forum and you can draw a lot of ideas and knowledge from there also.
Good luck and fly safe.?

Seems like you would have had all this planned out.
if your seriously going to pursue this business I would join
our sister forum Commercial Drone Pilots Forum and you can draw a lot of ideas and knowledge from there also.
Good luck and fly safe.?
dirkclod,
Thank u. I am also a member of commercial drone pilots and posted the same
Message.
Haven’t had any replies yet but certain I will.
I would have loved to have had time to plan, It was only a few hours
Ago that I was approached.
This is why I’m kinda in panic mode. Thank u again...

Congratulations you your Part 107 and first job.
You've already gotten some good advice. But I've got one more: Walk before you run. While I've only been a drone pilot since June , but I've been a full time professional still photographer since the 80's. Doing work for money has different expectations than doing stuff for fun.

My first piece of advice would be to stick to this one client for the moment. You need to keep your focus, and anticipating other work shouldn't detract from all the things you're going to be faced with with that one job. What you want to do is a perfect job, especially because you don't yet have the capability of fixing anything in post. You don't want to sully your reputation before you get going by not doing your best on your first job.

I want to share one small thing.... MY definition of a "PROFESSIONAL"... While some folks define a professional as one who takes money for his work, I define a professional as "one who can do a good job on his worst day". When working I always strive to be that guy.

Good luck. Keep us all posted as to how it goes!

You've already gotten some good advice. But I've got one more: Walk before you run. While I've only been a drone pilot since June , but I've been a full time professional still photographer since the 80's. Doing work for money has different expectations than doing stuff for fun.

My first piece of advice would be to stick to this one client for the moment. You need to keep your focus, and anticipating other work shouldn't detract from all the things you're going to be faced with with that one job. What you want to do is a perfect job, especially because you don't yet have the capability of fixing anything in post. You don't want to sully your reputation before you get going by not doing your best on your first job.

I want to share one small thing.... MY definition of a "PROFESSIONAL"... While some folks define a professional as one who takes money for his work, I define a professional as "one who can do a good job on his worst day". When working I always strive to be that guy.

vindibona 1,
Your absolutely right..
I will do as you suggested and keep it to the one client.
I absolutely agree with doing a professional job even on my worse day...
( I love that btw...)
Focus on that task and the rest will come if I do this right...
Thank u very much
John

WOW!!!
Also pics..
Do I charge hourly?

Guys I just had another great idea I think..
What if I set up a canopy, have a table and chairs with my business
Sign and sell everyone interested pics/ video..
I could take orders and do individual boats, then include the flotilla.
I have a business account and card reader, I could set up shop and
I feel like a lot of people would love to buy memories of this event.
Heck I could even contact Trumps campaign folks and maybe score really big by selling them footage..
Not only that but think of the exposure I would get..

What do u think?

Maybe if you had more time some of your ideas could be good one, but your likely to have your hands filled just completing the task at hand to be honest.
Your main objective is not to crash in the water, and if your going to be following the boats out or flying backwards and leading them in or side ways flying .

You need to decide how close your going to fly , and if your going to try to capture faces or just bodies.
One of the things i would suggest with such a flight is your own timer to keep track of battery life as yet another reminder your on borrowed time.

GIve yourself an extra 5 minutes of time on 3 batteries and swap them out , if there is something you missed you will have
some extra time on all 3 batteries.

You also might want to consider getting some B roll with your drone , nice sharp clean and slow video is much better than fast panic video .

Because it is a special event: Watch out for Helicopters, security , flags , balloons, and fireworks.

A grand is a good start if you can capture the moment , wishing you the best.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the rain and float on water.

Maybe if you had more time some of your ideas could be good one, but your likely to have your hands filled just completing the task at hand to be honest.
Your main objective is not to crash in the water, and if your going to be following the boats out or flying backwards and leading them in or side ways flying .

You need to decide how close your going to fly , and if your going to try to capture faces or just bodies.
One of the things i would suggest with such a flight is your own timer to keep track of battery life as yet another reminder your on borrowed time.

GIve yourself an extra 5 minutes of time on 3 batteries and swap them out , if there is something you missed you will have
some extra time on all 3 batteries.

You also might want to consider getting some B roll with your drone , nice sharp clean and slow video is much better than fast panic video .

Because it is a special event: Watch out for Helicopters, security , flags , balloons, and fireworks.

A grand is a good start if you can capture the moment , wishing you the best.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the rain and float on water.
Phantom rain.org,
Thank I for your ideas. Flying backwards is an awesome idea and had u not mentioned it I’m likely to have not done..
This is why I soo love this forum.
Everyone has great ideas and are helping keep me focused.
The extra 5 minutes of battery is brilliant as well.
Cause I can guarantee that something will come up and those extra few will pay off..
Great thought.
I’m 4 batteries and charger so I’m hoping batteries won’t be an issue.
Also taking all my spare parts such as ribbon/video cables, xtra gimbal arm, even have spare compass..
Lol..
Hopefully this venture is a success and I can
Look into buying the Mavic wetsuit..
I inquired a few months ago and extremely impressed with your products..
Keep up the good work my friend and thank u.
John

Keep your focus on your primary client! Any cut materials may be used at your discretion. But focus on your primary objective! I cannot say what final cost as there are variables to be concerned with. Please ensure required permits are in place, if needed, and assistants are knowledgeable and trained on VLOS and emergency procedures. With the amount of participants expected, it is going to be a spectator event and thus hundreds of persons everywhere. Use extreme caution when flying. Keep SAFETY first and foremost! Above all, have fun! Show the community that drone pilots are thoughtful, considerate, and above all, professional persons.

Keep your focus on your primary client! Any cut materials may be used at your discretion. But focus on your primary objective! I cannot say what final cost as there are variables to be concerned with. Please ensure required permits are in place, if needed, and assistants are knowledgeable and trained on VLOS and emergency procedures. With the amount of participants expected, it is going to be a spectator event and thus hundreds of persons everywhere. Use extreme caution when flying. Keep SAFETY first and foremost! Above all, have fun! Show the community that drone pilots are thoughtful, considerate, and above all, professional persons.
theDroneranger,
I appreciate your advice. Everyone says the same, FOCUS on my client.
I will also have them agree to a contract on rights of footage.
Thank u very much for ur advice

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Flying backwards is an awesome idea and had u not mentioned it I’m likely to have not done..

I have to assume that you are more skilled at flying than I am, so I must assume you have practiced flying backwards. Controls in reverse are a whole 'nother brain space adaptation.

Phantomrain mentioned a nice list of potential obstacles to be aware of and plan for. I'd mention one more - other drones! With that many participants, there's almost certain to be other land-based and boat-launched drones in the air, either for commercial or recreational purposes.

Also be sure to check NOTAMs for possible flight closures on the event day. If there are any dignitaries present, it is possible that the airspace above the lake may become off limits. That would suck to get all geared up to fly and learn that you can't at the last minute.

I have to assume that you are more skilled at flying than I am, so I must assume you have practiced flying backwards. Controls in reverse are a whole 'nother brain space adaptation.
Flying backwards takes a little getting used to. It is best accomplished with the assistance of a Visual Observer. This would permit you to concentrate a bit more on the controller and screen. Some pilots prefer to use a reversed yaw setting for the sticks as well when learning. Kind of like looking over your shoulder when driving. It takes a getting used to but can be accomplished. Practice, practice, practice. Then practice some more. By reversing the yaw control you will accomplish the correct Yaw movement. Altitude is maintained as normal.

Here Is an I remember when moment: I would take off and hover to head height to gain the HOME point. DRONE FACING ME! Then with just a little throttle I have to duck immediately because I was directional ignorant. Nowadays, I sometimes fly in reverse, with the thought of maintaining a proficiency without reversing the yaw stick.

Flying backwards is odd for sure.
Idk, I do ok with it most the time.
Still u reminded me to do it..
Lol

Phantomrain mentioned a nice list of potential obstacles to be aware of and plan for. I'd mention one more - other drones! With that many participants, there's almost certain to be other land-based and boat-launched drones in the air, either for commercial or recreational purposes.

Also be sure to check NOTAMs for possible flight closures on the event day. If there are any dignitaries present, it is possible that the airspace above the lake may become off limits. That would suck to get all geared up to fly and learn that you can't at the last minute.

Great point Defens, There will be State senators
And dignitaries for sure..
i think I’m goingon Fri and check everything out
And talk with organizer

Flying backwards takes a little getting used to. It is best accomplished with the assistance of a Visual Observer. This would permit you to concentrate a bit more on the controller and screen. Some pilots prefer to use a reversed yaw setting for the sticks as well when learning. Kind of like looking over your shoulder when driving. It takes a getting used to but can be accomplished. Practice, practice, practice. Then practice some more. By reversing the yaw control you will accomplish the correct Yaw movement. Altitude is maintained as normal.

Here Is an I remember when moment: I would take off and hover to head height to gain the HOME point. DRONE FACING ME! Then with just a little throttle I have to duck immediately because I was directional ignorant. Nowadays, I sometimes fly in reverse, with the thought of maintaining a proficiency without reversing the yaw stick.

It's all about practice until it's in your DNA and automatic muscle memory. While one *could* reverse the yaw, I am not a believer in doing that as IMO it only leads to confusion... My brain would go "What mode am I in?"... and then if no time to switch back to fly foward ya got bigger trouble. I know *I* need a ton more practice flying backwards.

It's all about practice until it's in your DNA and automatic muscle memory. While one *could* reverse the yaw, I am not a believer in doing that as IMO it only leads to confusion... My brain would go "What mode am I in?"... and then if no time to switch back to fly foward ya got bigger trouble. I know *I* need a ton more practice flying backwards.
The controls are only backwards if the drone is facing you and only from your point of view, the controls are always the same from the perspective of the live view.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky