DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First launch is always wonky

Sasq40

Reactions
When ever I take off with the a2 it the first launch it always goes up the hover, then slowly goes to the ground till it hits it then keeps going up and down till I make it land. The next launch its also fine. Ive tried letting it sit there for awhile to make sure it grab all the sats etc and still does this. I know it does this sometimes so luckly last time when I was near water I was ready to grab it before she went down

Try doing a "compass" and "IMU" calibration before flight. Then try to see it if that changes. Should not be landing after hovering without any inputs from sticks.

Also start everything in proper sequence as DJI recommends and do not start take-off. Let the drone sit on the ground and "see" if it grabs sats and tells you Home has been set. Then do the take-off sequence and let it hover to see if it does your yo yo thing.

I have a friend who was in the habit of firing up drone then taking off. She was not aware of the importance of waiting for Satellite location and GPS.
It’s also important to wait for the lady to tell you that “Homepoint has been recorded please check it on the map”.
Not sure how you fly but this could cause a flighty take off.
Sorry I just read again your post about allowing sat location etc.

I have a friend who was in the habit of firing up drone then taking off. She was not aware of the importance of waiting for Satellite location and GPS.
It’s also important to wait for the lady to tell you that “Homepoint has been recorded please check it on the map”.
Not sure how you fly but this could cause a flighty take off.
Sorry I just read again your post about allowing sat location etc.
Waiting for GPS and "Homepoint" address fully depends on where a person flies. Many locations I fly in - I'd never take-off as it takes getting into the air and capturing GPS and "Homepoint" - sometimes at the 98 ft height limit. If wide open area and there is good SAT / GPS signals in area (checking before you fly on an app) - then yes. Typically can happen within 1 minute.

Even under no GPS / no homepoint set - I have never had the OP's issues of hovering and theen landing / dropping on my Air2 - in over a year of flying it and a 100+ flights. When I initiate takeoff - the drone props start and it lifts to about 4-5 ft and does nothing till I move the joysticks.

If calibrating does not work - then a definite issue for DJI to examine.

Reactions: Marcass Carcass
Waiting for GPS and "Homepoint" address fully depends on where a person flies. Many locations I fly in - I'd never take-off as it takes getting into the air and capturing GPS and "Homepoint" - sometimes at the 98 ft height limit. If wide open area and there is good SAT / GPS signals in area (checking before you fly on an app) - then yes. Typically can happen within 1 minute.

Even under no GPS / no homepoint set - I have never had the OP's issues of hovering and theen landing / dropping on my Air2 - in over a year of flying it and a 100+ flights. When I initiate takeoff - the drone props start and it lifts to about 4-5 ft and does nothing till I move the joysticks.

Its an interesting point you bring up about the Home Point registering.

I have also found that when I take off from my Top Deck i have to take off to get the Home Point to register, However when I am taking off from inside my car its almost instant. Not sure why this occurs one way or the other but I do have to trigger it to fly.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2/S in the Rain and Land on the Waves.

I actually get GPS inside my house... if I wait long enough.... typically 2-3 minutes...

I have also found that when I take off from my Top Deck i have to take off to get the Home Point to register, However when I am taking off from inside my car its almost instant. Not sure why this occurs one way or the other but I do have to trigger it to fly.
It's simple.
Your drone won't record a home point until it gets good GPS location data.

Maybe it’s a new feature called Yo-yo! [emoji41]

Hope you get it sorted soon and can get back to flying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velmapeterson