DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 First Promo Video for a Condo (input appreciated)

I'm now 60 - do I class myself as old now?

It's certainly good to see the location! I would like to have seen a quick shot of the lighthouse. Just one point really. Drone videos don't have to be exclusively drone footage. A promo video would normally include ground based shots such as people playing golf, having a drink at the bar sort of thing. Some photo or video of the facilities and view from the rooms.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Nice! You have lots of good shots in there! I’m doing a somewhat similar project right now

My constructive criticism, just to be clear @itsneedtokno I hold you to a higher standard then I do for most people because you’ve got so much going for you already.

For my low shoots I am hyper aware of the position of the sun. I ideally want the sun low behind me so I can get the subject front lit. It looks like most of your shots you are shooting into the sun at mid day to mid afternoon which is why it some shots look a little crunchy. Try shooting in the morning when the sun is on the other side and closer to sunrise and later in the day if shooting the other way to get the best light.

While the sun generally rises in the east and sets in the west it comes from Northeast or Southwest depending on the time of the year so even if the subject is pointed north or south there are times of the day when the sun is “more” north or “more” south so you can get as much of that luscious front lit sun as you can get. Get an app that tells you where and when the sun will be. I use SunSurveyor Lite on iOS and it’s a game changer for figure out when to be at a shoot. Your second shot is front lit and that’s why it looks so much better than the first one.

This View attachment 113942
Vs This
View attachment 113943
I can tell by which way the shadows are facing.
Wow man. Really great advice in there.

The thing is... I freaking know better.

I did this job at about half price because they are family; I may have overlooked things unconsciously.

Also, when we spoke about the job in the phone there was never any mention of multiple buildings, multiple locations, and multiple times (that last part was my fault). But I basically ran out of battery on day 1 after the marina and beach clubhouses. If I knew about the multiple locations and buildings, I would have bracketed my time a little bit differently.

I charged less than 500 for 50 HDR pics (interior pics of the condo that they are using the video to sell as well). I also gave her unlimited rights to that video, meaning she could use it the rest of her life. I would never typically do this, unless I charged well over 1k, but being family, and my first condo promo I decided to cut her a deal.

Some of the HDR pics...
Cody Shoaf - Harbour Village (e)-15.jpgCody Shoaf - Harbour Village (e)-5.jpgCody Shoaf - Harbour Village (e)-17.jpgCody Shoaf - Harbour Village (i)-3.jpgCody Shoaf - Harbour Village (i)-14.jpgCody Shoaf - Harbour Village (e)-8.jpg

I'm now 60 - do I class myself as old now?

It's certainly good to see the location! I would like to have seen a quick shot of the lighthouse. Just one point really. Drone videos don't have to be exclusively drone footage. A promo video would normally include ground based shots such as people playing golf, having a drink at the bar sort of thing. Some photo or video of the facilities and view from the rooms.
I knew I missed that opportunity!

I also thought about all the ground work stuff... I didn't charge enough to actually work that in my budget though.

I have pictures and video of the interior of one unit but the unit is not their flagship, so I decided against adding it in. Especially if this is going to be used to sell multiple units.

I knew I missed that opportunity!

I also thought about all the ground work stuff... I didn't charge enough to actually work that in my budget though.

I have pictures and video of the interior of one unit but the unit is not their flagship, so I decided against adding it in. Especially if this is going to be used to sell multiple units.
Have you done interior filming before? Its a PITA and need a bunch of specialized equipment and lights. However, I learned a neat trick to use photos to make it seem like its a video.

If you use the zoom, position, yaw, and pitch controls in Resolve (or other editor) and key in transitions you can get really convincing looking video from still photos (which are much easier to take and you can do HDR/focus stacking to get away with not having a bunch of lights)

I made this real quick for you. You can make it look better I just didn't want to put that much work into somebody else's project ;)

All in all a nice first attempt, better than many - like the simple dissolves rather than the others and ditto on the lighting mentioned above - and the speed changes in several parts, also mentioned above were also distracting but that's all part of the learning curve - for first time out it may not be "perfect (whatever that is)" but is still salable - nice titling work - you can always "update" the vid for a client (which reflects professionalism IMHO) but this first attempt obviously elicited a good number of positive comments and wanting to know "where" - give yourself a pat on the back!

This video is designed with older folks in mind, so you won't see too many 5 second clips or crazy transitions.

I'm sold! I want to move there right NOW because of your video! Great work Cody. I certainly am an "older folk" has you say. I truyelu cannot find very much to critique. You seem to have it down pat.

I'd love to learn the speed ramping around the beach house technique.Have watched all the You Tubes available but my Premiere Pro just won't cooperate. I need a bedside consultation for that. (e.g.: speed ramping).

For "oldsters" I'd just recommend leaving the text up as long as it takes to read slowly. I also liked the "bounce" titles.

This video is designed with older folks in mind, so you won't see too many 5 second clips or crazy transitions.

5 stars! Something definitely to be proud of. That Mavic Air 2 really shows itself a capable piece of kit! I'm very impressed with your quality flying and the drones capabilities!

Have you done interior filming before? Its a PITA and need a bunch of specialized equipment and lights. However, I learned a neat trick to use photos to make it seem like its a video.

If you use the zoom, position, yaw, and pitch controls in Resolve (or other editor) and key in transitions you can get really convincing looking video from still photos (which are much easier to take and you can do HDR/focus stacking to get away with not having a bunch of lights)

I made this real quick for you. You can make it look better I just didn't want to put that much work into somebody else's project ;)

This is PRECISELY my next step.

I have some interior footage but I could definitely use a Crane v2 or similar.

I plan to focus on higher end homes that could benefit from video. I do know it's a royal PITA inside, especially with a big ash gimbal.

I'm looking at the dynamic zoom virtual tours to tide me over until I get my a6400 or a7ii.

I'm sold! I want to move there right NOW because of your video! Great work Cody. I certainly am an "older folk" has you say. I truyelu cannot find very much to critique. You seem to have it down pat.

I'd love to learn the speed ramping around the beach house technique.Have watched all the You Tubes available but my Premiere Pro just won't cooperate. I need a bedside consultation for that. (e.g.: speed ramping).

For "oldsters" I'd just recommend leaving the text up as long as it takes to read slowly. I also liked the "bounce" titles.
Thanks Dale!

I really appreciate it. It was 3 seperate trips because I just wasn't happy with certain angles... Then today... the realtor calls me, says I missed the Marina, and the tennis "clubhouse" is actually the main office.

So I load a battery, load the drone, drive to the site, fly the Marina (5 minutes max, 4th time out there), come home, throw it together as fast as humanly possible (still no monies received), and send a picture of the final drop down with edited captions... That was 2 hours ago.

As soon as I get the green light I will be exporting and uploading for you guys to see my new edit. The final cut so to speak.

Appreciate the kind words Dale!

ps - there's a fourth floor unit for sale right now for about $410k ?

If I had to pay for this as an advertisement, I'd buy it. I do agree with going farther out over the water and coming in low then up for a reveal.

Isn't this kind of like the "Ken Burns" effect? He used it to great effect with old historical photographs for documentaries to add movement. His was mostly in two dimensions though. Awesome job Cody on the video by the way. @brett8883 that's some killer advice on the dynamic zoom for interior shots. Thumbswayup

Isn't this kind of like the "Ken Burns" effect? He used it to great effect with old historical photographs for documentaries to add movement. His was mostly in two dimensions though. Awesome job Cody on the video by the way. @brett8883 that's some killer advice on the dynamic zoom for interior shots. Thumbswayup
Yea kinda but this takes it to another level because you pitch and yaw the image to make it seem like the camera angle is changing. The ken burns thing is just zoom and position.

Thank you!

Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maliyindian