DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

first proper flights of MM my thoughts

old man mavic

Premium Pilot
Reactions
hi fellow flyers well at last a break in the weather allowed me to get my MM in the air
since these flights i have renamed my MM its not a Mavic Mini any more its now a Mini Mavic,
it looks like a mavic it flies like a mavic its just a small version of a mavic
so today i flew it at my very local sports field, footy pitch, no wind to speak of but very low cloud and damp
no issues during flight went up 155 ft and took it out to around 600 ft was reasonably easy to see against the grey background and there was no issues with signal quality at all
did a RTH set at 120 ft and it came back and was about a foot off the landing pad i cancelled the RTH and carried on flying and landed it manually
at one end of the field there is a swing park and a small wood land area ,there was no one around so i flew around and through the various climbing frames and slides etc in the swing park, and also flew in the woodland area at various heights under the trees and its size and ease of control meant i could go places that i would not take my MPP
overall i was very happy with it and it is a welcome addition to my fleet
i did not purchase the MM myself it was a gift from my daughter and i already knew it could not compete with my MPP because of the specs
but it is what it is a very capable low cost starter drone to get people into the hobby ,dont care about the 249 g part thats just a gimic to me, because i think that every one who flies a drone should be registered and take the basic knowledge test regardless of the weight

forgot to mention when i was flying under the trees and in the swing park, i was using c mode it slows everything down and makes it easier to control in tight spaces, similar to tripod mode in other mavics

Thanks for your thoughts sir.
Mini Mavic...catchy.???

Thanks for your thoughts sir.
Mini Mavic...catchy.???
thankyou Dc i always respect you comments and contributions to this forum with the knowledge you have

Reactions: dirkclod
I’ve just had a proper fly with mine, I used to own an mpp.... this just doesn’t feel any different. The range is perfect for me and image quality likewise. I get that it’s a sawn of version of an mpp in just about every way but unless you’re a dedicated photographer none of it is an issue.... for its size DJI knocked it out of the park again

I’ve just had a proper fly with mine, I used to own an mpp.... this just doesn’t feel any different. The range is perfect for me and image quality likewise. I get that it’s a sawn of version of an mpp in just about every way but unless you’re a dedicated photographer none of it is an issue.... for its size DJI knocked it out of the park again
yes i agree i think that you have to realise its limitations compared to other mavics, and not try to compare what it cant do, but rather be impressed by what it can do for its size

hi fellow flyers well at last a break in the weather allowed me to get my MM in the air
since these flights i have renamed my MM its not a Mavic Mini any more its now a Mini Mavic,
it looks like a mavic it flies like a mavic its just a small version of a mavic
so today i flew it at my very local sports field, footy pitch, no wind to speak of but very low cloud and damp
no issues during flight went up 155 ft and took it out to around 600 ft was reasonably easy to see against the grey background and there was no issues with signal quality at all
did a RTH set at 120 ft and it came back and was about a foot off the landing pad i cancelled the RTH and carried on flying and landed it manually
at one end of the field there is a swing park and a small wood land area ,there was no one around so i flew around and through the various climbing frames and slides etc in the swing park, and also flew in the woodland area at various heights under the trees and its size and ease of control meant i could go places that i would not take my MPP
overall i was very happy with it and it is a welcome addition to my fleet
i did not purchase the MM myself it was a gift from my daughter and i already knew it could not compete with my MPP because of the specs
but it is what it is a very capable low cost starter drone to get people into the hobby ,dont care about the 249 g part thats just a gimic to me, because i think that every one who flies a drone should be registered and take the basic knowledge test regardless of the weight
Thanks for the detailed review from a real-life user point of view!

Reactions: old man mavic
The more I use it the more I realise how cool these things are and how far they've come from the earlier models. I am seriously doubting my ability to gold off buying a bigger bird next year for the better picture quality. Not too sure how I can justify it to the family but for now I'll just resort to taking this thing with me everywhere I go in the glovebox of the car

The more I use it the more I realise how cool these things are and how far they've come from the earlier models. I am seriously doubting my ability to gold off buying a bigger bird next year for the better picture quality. Not too sure how I can justify it to the family but for now I'll just resort to taking this thing with me everywhere I go in the glovebox of the car
enjoy your new hobby and just remember follow the drone code , and then hopefully we will all be able to continue our flying pleasure in the future

Reactions: WithTheBirds
I've gone to the effort of doing the silly 20 questions despite not needing to so I'm sure to play safely (ish). I was a lot more reckless with older ones I hate to admit.

I've gone to the effort of doing the silly 20 questions despite not needing to so I'm sure to play safely (ish). I was a lot more reckless with older ones I hate to admit.
so that means you have a flyer id which is good, but those silly questions as you called them ,are now there, because of all the silly people flying their drones with no thought for others in regulated airspace

Reactions: Thomas B
so that means you have a flyer id which is good, but those silly questions as you called them ,are now there, because of all the silly people flying their drones with no thought for others in regulated airspace

I meant they was silly as they are all common sense. Those who wish to be sensible will but it won't stop the people with zero intention of being good. Allowing a 16/20 pass mark is silly too. The questions are something that you should be able to answer 100%!

I meant they was silly as they are all common sense. Those who wish to be sensible will but it won't stop the people with zero intention of being good. Allowing a 16/20 pass mark is silly too. The questions are something that you should be able to answer 100%!
the test is just a way of getting people to at least find out and study the drone code ,and by passing it to have demonstrated that they have done that,yes some of the questions did not seem to have much to do with flying a drone,but were there to see if people understood the consequences of not flying within the rules,and the real point of all this is so people who dont obey the law after the 30th of November ,cant complain when they are fined for none compliance ,and if caught flying dangerously cant plead ignorance of the rules

Well at least one question was tricky enough to fool a few otherwise knowledgeable people.

the test is just a way of getting people to at least find out and study the drone code ,and by passing it to have demonstrated that they have done that,yes some of the questions did not seem to have much to do with flying a drone,but were there to see if people understood the consequences of not flying within the rules,and the real point of all this is so people who dont obey the law after the 30th of November ,cant complain when they are fined for none compliance ,and if caught flying dangerously cant plead ignorance of the rules
Just like the geofencing preventing the nieve from flying where and how they should not.

My first flight, all is good until I noticed the MM is climbing up altitude slowly without stick input. Probably affected by the moderate wind (12-15 mph gust). I still have good control and monitoring the flight. Landed safely.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne