DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First real RTH

Bob1956

Reactions
Had my MP2 about 1000 feet away and my iPhone 6 locked up and froze. Normally I would have it in airplane mode but I was in a very rural area where I had zero coverage and the maps didn't work. Tried backing up to reaquire signal but "no help" as we say in aviation maintenance.
Hit the RTH button and heard my drone returning a couple seconds later. The RC showed distance decreasing the whole time so it was just a phone issue.
I've been playing with the RTH feature since I bought the drone. Still amazed with it. My lesson was mostly learned before this event. Wait for the Home Point to lock in. I takeoff slowly to 30 feet and hover for a few seconds, then slow to 50 feet and hover and yet again slow to 100 feet and hover for a bit.
After that I'm now ready to fly somewhere. Some of this may be useless work but I'll continue to do it until I learn otherwise.

When I get the time I'll start practicing bringing the drone home using just the distance and height info from the RC.

But yeah RTH really works.

Reactions: eddih and Filipok
You don't really have to step through the vertical heights. Once you get past 30ft, it should be OK, and even then it's to lock in precision landing.

One thing to get familiar is RTH behavior in close proximity. Within a certain distance it will remain at current height on its way home rather than going to RTH height, even closer it will land where it is.

As for noting if you've lost complete RC-AC connection vs just app connection to RC: If the RC still shows telemetry, you still have control from the RC. If it shows "connecting..." then signal has been lost. Likely AC will then follow lost signal procedures. Note that on signal loss, the M2 will backtrack the last 60 seconds of flight in an attempt to re-aquire signal before returning home.

Thanks . I fly in rural hill country and still fairly new. My work schedule only allows one or two weekends month so learning is slow. I keep the RTH altitude at the max of 390 feet. If I were to set RTH at 200 feet I'd hit a wooded hillside first. I also fly fairly high 250 - 300 feet. That's also because of inexperience and being surrounded by hills.

Reactions: bassnbeau
In your situation, setting RTH height that high makes sense. However in general, you wouldn't want it that high as it takes unnecessary energy to get up there and back down. Precious energy you might need in a low battery situation.

As a relatively new flyer, I've been spending time on RTH to gain understanding and trust with it. I strongly prefer to manually fly at all times, so it's a bit of a faithful leap to use a programmed mode like RTH, but it's a heck of a useful tool. Glad your drone returned, keep on gaining experience.

Me too. I've also used it to swing the camera around on the trip home. Looking all around while Otto flies it home.

Do I need to set RTH altitude to be higher than the highest building nearby? What happens if it flies on the path of a building? It crashes into the building?

Obstacle Avoidance if enabled likely will prevent it and would even escalate above RTH height (but not max height limit) but plan as if it doesn't.

Thanks . I fly in rural hill country and still fairly new. My work schedule only allows one or two weekends month so learning is slow. I keep the RTH altitude at the max of 390 feet. If I were to set RTH at 200 feet I'd hit a wooded hillside first. I also fly fairly high 250 - 300 feet. That's also because of inexperience and being surrounded by hills.
200ft is ok if you`re aware of any hi voltage lines on the return path. above 100m altitude it is not simple to hear mavic 2, so, 50m or about i think is the best RTH height - to be above all wires and trees and still to be able to see/hear it well.

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
Had my MP2 about 1000 feet away and my iPhone 6 locked up and froze. Normally I would have it in airplane mode but I was in a very rural area where I had zero coverage and the maps didn't work. Tried backing up to reaquire signal but "no help" as we say in aviation maintenance.
Hit the RTH button and heard my drone returning a couple seconds later. The RC showed distance decreasing the whole time so it was just a phone issue.
I've been playing with the RTH feature since I bought the drone. Still amazed with it. My lesson was mostly learned before this event. Wait for the Home Point to lock in. I takeoff slowly to 30 feet and hover for a few seconds, then slow to 50 feet and hover and yet again slow to 100 feet and hover for a bit.
After that I'm now ready to fly somewhere. Some of this may be useless work but I'll continue to do it until I learn otherwise.

When I get the time I'll start practicing bringing the drone home using just the distance and height info from the RC.

But yeah RTH really works.
Go app sometimes freezes when flying my Mavic Pro on my older Android phone too although it hasn't done that for a while now. You can stop flying and let it hover wherever it is and just close down the app and bring it back up again and it will reconnect automatically. I don't like RTH as it takes control out of your hands. Like others have said, you better make sure you have the right RTH height set and hope there are no wires or other unseen hazards at the preset RTH altitude.

Reactions: John St. George
Go app sometimes freezes when flying my Mavic Pro on my older Android phone too although it hasn't done that for a while now. You can stop flying and let it hover wherever it is and just close down the app and bring it back up again and it will reconnect automatically. I don't like RTH as it takes control out of your hands. Like others have said, you better make sure you have the right RTH height set and hope there are no wires or other unseen hazards at the preset RTH altitude.
New to drones so taking it all slowly, should a Mavic Air be flown with iPhone in aircraft mode? Thanks

You don't really have to step through the vertical heights. Once you get past 30ft, it should be OK, and even then it's to lock in precision landing.

One thing to get familiar is RTH behavior in close proximity. Within a certain distance it will remain at current height on its way home rather than going to RTH height, even closer it will land where it is.

As for noting if you've lost complete RC-AC connection vs just app connection to RC: If the RC still shows telemetry, you still have control from the RC. If it shows "connecting..." then signal has been lost. Likely AC will then follow lost signal procedures. Note that on signal loss, the M2 will backtrack the last 60 seconds of flight in an attempt to re-aquire signal before returning home.
Hello DanMan. So the "retreat" for 60 second behavior is part of the RTH routine for the Mavic Pro 2? Where did you learn about this as I do not see it described in the manual.

It is in the manual, and also part of the sales highlight information regarding signal loss.

Note that there are several RTH scenarios:
Manually engaging RTH
Low Battery
Signal loss default behavior. You can also select hover or land for signal loss behavior.

Look up "Failsafe RTH" page 17 of the 2.0 version of the manual

Failsafe RTH
The Forward Vision System allows the aircraft to create a real-time map of its flight route as it flies.
If the Home Point was successfully recorded and the compass is functioning normally, Failsafe RTH
automatically activates after the remote control signal is lost for more than two seconds.
When Failsafe RTH is activated, the aircraft starts to retrace its original flight route home. If the remote
control signal is re-established within 60 seconds of Failsafe RTH being activated, the aircraft hovers at
its present location for 10 seconds and waits for pilot commands. The user may tap in the DJI GO 4
or press the RTH button on the remote controller to cancel Failsafe RTH and retake control. If no pilot
command is given, the aircraft flies to the Home Point in a straight line. If the remote control signal is still
lost 60 seconds after activating Failsafe RTH, the aircraft stops retracing its original flight route and flies
to Home Point in a straight line.
If the aircraft is further than 2 km or less than 50 m from the Home Point when RTH begins, the
aircraft will not retrace the original flight route and instead flies in a straight line to the Home
Point.
Note that GEO zones may affect the ability of the aircraft to retrace the original flight route.
After detecting obstacles during flight, the aircraft stops retracing the original flight route and
instead flies in a straight line to the Home Point

Reactions: Jwatts2344
...need to review that manual more often.

Yes, there is a great deal of information to taken in and retain.

Do I need to set RTH altitude to be higher than the highest building nearby? What happens if it flies on the path of a building? It crashes into the building?
Yes, set the RTH altitude higher than ANYTHING nearby: buildings, trees, hills, whatever. If obstacle avoidance is turned on, and works correctly, your drone will stop b4 hitting the building, but there are further settings to tell it what to do: back up, go around, etc. Frequently, obstacle avoidance sensors won't pick up tree branches. Because the RTH path is straight back, it's best to fly above all potential problems, then once you are home you can descend safely.

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2