DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First steps with AIR - (New to DJI not to flying)

Mcgon

Reactions
Hey all,

This forum has been a great resource so far. I'm an experienced drone pilot, but have no experience with DJI.
My AIR is on the way. What might I need to do that I probably don't know about right now? I have a DJI account, and the DJI GO 4 app installed.

1. Charge batteries and RC once it arrives. Insert SD card.
2. Once charged, when I connect to Android phone (wired) what will popup on phone? when I start app it might prompt me to update firmware? Is this straightforward, follow the instructions on app?
3. I am using a Pixel 2, so I know I may need to enable USB debugging to solve the constant disconnection issues. Once phone is connected to the bird (by cable) and ready to fly, can I put phone in Airplane mode?
4. Any calibrations needed? Or am I ready to test flight.

The general routine is:

1. Charge batteries and RC
2. Tear your hair out for an entire evening updating firmware, etc
3. Go to fly and realise it's now dark
4. Go to bed
5. Wake up the next day to rain....darn.
6. Go to bed.
7. Wake up the next day and fly it :D

The general routine is:

4. Go to bed
6. Go to bed.

Now ain't that the **** truth!!! :p

Reactions: Splats and Mcgon
when I connect to Android phone (wired) what will popup on phone?
On an Android device, you should start up DJI GO like this after connecting the remote controller to your mobile device:

Android-USB-Options-DJI-GO-4.jpg

when I start app it might prompt me to update firmware? Is this straightforward, follow the instructions on app?
Here's a detailed video showing how to install the firmware:

Note: You'll have to update the firmware on the Mavic Air and then on the remote controller (starts at 1:00 in the video).

Once phone is connected to the bird (by cable) and ready to fly, can I put phone in Airplane mode?
Yes. You can find some other tips that'll make your Android device run better here.

Any calibrations needed?
Most people won't have to calibrate anything. If you like to calibrate the compass before your first flights, that would be an okay thing to do.

Here's a great video that covers almost everything you'll need to do to get your Mavic Air ready for its first flight:

The general routine is:

4. Go to bed
6. Go to bed.

This is actually exactly the process I took when setting mine up, except today it's not raining, it's windy.

Reactions: Splats and Kilrah
Hey guys, Appreciate the humour and the advice :D

@msinger that's exactly what I didn't know - connect as MIDI and choose the app for USB device. Thank you very much! Also, thanks for the helpful links on Android / Calibration . tips which I will study up on now. Looking forward to sharing my first 4k video with you all.

there's a little island off Dublin near where I live - I've explored it once or twice (with my hubsan) and cannot wait to see it in gimbeled 4k....

I normally fly Autel drones, the air is my first DJI drone. Had no issues setting up, did a quick firmware update and that’s it, no problems so far. Just waiting for it to stop raining so I can take it out!!!

Reactions: Mcgon
The general routine is:

4. Go to bed
6. Go to bed.
Where is reading the good old FM in this list? :rolleyes:

Reactions: Splats
At what point (battery life remaining) will the AIR auto-descend and land... I saw some videos of people deciding to land safely at 25% battery rather than risk getting the AIR back to them and potentially auto-landing on uneven terrain if it fell short. I would expect it to still be fine until about 10% at which point an emergency landing spot would need to be found before it autolands?

At what point (battery life remaining) will the AIR auto-descend and land
That occurs when the battery reaches the critically low level. There is no magic percentage. It's determined by the distance from the home point.

Watch the bar at the top of DJI GO and make sure your Mavic Air is at the home point before the bar makes it to the red section.

23268284139_5e948d2fe7_c.jpg

Reactions: Mcgon
The general routine is:

4. Go to bed
6. Go to bed.

Wow that’s scary, almost like you were watching over my shoulder!

Reactions: Splats
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kueaue