DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First time Crash!

Tech14

Reactions
Well I Had my first Crash. I didn't think it was possible but it happened. I was just flying between two trees and it started floating to the left and before I knew it it was behind the Tree and I lost visual on it and it dove into the tree. I didn't have time to push the Pause button. I was surprised! To my amazement I didn't hurt anything just a couple of Scratched up props. I do wish it had Obstacle Avoidance all round. Will be more careful in future. Just thought you might want to know. Take Care Tech14 out.

you can get caught up in the monitor view thats what happened to me, im always sure to check lowest vertical height and lat long coords to make sure I am in my pre defined flight path, and never fly randomly looking for a good shot anymore.

it would be cool if there were a feature in the app that warned you of vert height lat/long threshold, that way you could fly a path more easily without litchi and stay within certain bounds I could customize

Reactions: Former Member
Well I Had my first Crash. I didn't think it was possible but it happened. I was just flying between two trees and it started floating to the left and before I knew it it was behind the Tree and I lost visual on it and it dove into the tree. I didn't have time to push the Pause button. I was surprised! To my amazement I didn't hurt anything just a couple of Scratched up props. I do wish it had Obstacle Avoidance all round. Will be more careful in future. Just thought you might want to know. Take Care Tech14 out.

man... I dont know but since this last update my bird has been drifting a lot without any wind.. I am going to calibrate again but this bothers me.

man... I dont know but since this last update my bird has been drifting a lot without any wind.. I am going to calibrate again but this bothers me.
dude same here putting up with the same issue for so long now I actually gave up and just let it drift and keep it under control got tired of asking DJI stuff and tired of resets / erases / factory resets / downgrades / new pc / new Mac //. but the way of your using a mavic with less noise props this

Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 12.17.16.png

made a huge difference to me

dude same here putting up with the same issue for so long now I actually gave up and just let it drift and keep it under control got tired of asking DJI stuff and tired of resets / erases / factory resets / downgrades / new pc / new Mac //. but the way of your using a mavic with less noise props this

View attachment 43315

people use them numbers for when they are using the quiter blades to stop the cam from vibrating.

your first sentence says it all,''i didnt think it was possible''
well that possibility is always there,you should practice the pause button and how long it takes to react as it can be your best friend,good to know its ok except for a bruised ego.Thumbswayup

your first sentence says it all,''i didnt think it was possible''
well that possibility is always there,you should practice the pause button and how long it takes to react as it can be your best friend,good to know its ok except for a bruised ego.Thumbswayup
Not sure how the pause button could help unless he was running some flight mode.

I was just flying between two trees and it started floating to the left and before I knew it it was behind the Tree and I lost visual on it and it dove into the tree.
That was your pilot error right there... Flying too close between objects can be dangerous. Always fly the drone in open environments, in which you can see the Mavic very well.

Last edited:
My first crash surprise me too. I was watching LOS only and not FPV - and from my angle I couldn't see that I was headed right for a branch. I would have seen it if I was looking at the monitor. It's a little tough to learn that you need to keep both LOS AND FPV in order to avoid crashing. I'm only now starting to get 'acceptable' at it after a year of flying (I'm a slow learner...).

LP

View attachment 43315

Wait, what exactly do those settings help with?

Wait, what exactly do those settings help with?

They help make the drones response smoother, less jerky, and customizable. @Irish-apple is probably a more experienced pilot, so he turned his gains down a little, because he knows what to expect from the drone. Adjusting your gain settings as a newbie can be a double edged sword. On the one hand, the drone responds slower to user input, and might make it a little more docile. On the other hand, if you get into trouble, the drone will take longer to react, and might not do what you want it to do, as quickly as you want it to.

I realize that this is off-topic, but heres a video about gain and expo settings:

Last edited:
They help make the drones response smoother, less jerky, and customizable. @Irish-apple is probably a more experienced pilot, so he turned his gains down a little, because he knows what to expect from the drone. Adjusting your gain settings as a newbie can be a double edged sword. On the one hand, the drone responds slower to user input, and might make it a little more docile. On the other hand, if you get into trouble, the drone will take longer to react, and might not do what you want it to do, as quickly as you want it to.

I realize that this is off-topic, but heres a video about gain adn expo settings:

Thanks! Hey @Thunderdrones do you know if that thread about the mavic skin layout is the correct pattern and size to get cut?

I realize that this is off-topic, but heres a video about gain and expo settings:

Gotcha, if you flip into sports mode does it ignore those settings?

Great video by the way

mans a legend

Thanks Guys! i will look into those settings and fly in more open areas.
Thinking back I didn't calibrate any of the settings. I did all the calibrating once at another place. Do you have to calibrate every time you fly?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa