DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First time Drone in Ireland

I don't profess to being a video cinematographer. My fortay has always been photos. My business partner is the cinematographer.

However I did put this together real quick in Premiere Pro

Ok, I just registered my Mavic Air for an upcoming trip to Ireland in July 2019. I copied my SUA ID# to a small piece of paper I can affix to my drone. Why? Because I am not sure if I will get the actual sticker the IAA will send via mail before my trip. The drone is under 1 kilo - should that work if the sticker from the IAA does not get to before my trip?

Also going with a couple of handheld gimbals for other cameras, etc. So should I take the extra step of obtaining a TSA Pre-Check? Will this help my departure from the USA with this?

Ok, I just registered my Mavic Air for an upcoming trip to Ireland in July 2019. I copied my SUA ID# to a small piece of paper I can affix to my drone. Why? Because I am not sure if I will get the actual sticker the IAA will send via mail before my trip. The drone is under 1 kilo - should that work if the sticker from the IAA does not get to before my trip?

Also going with a couple of handheld gimbals for other cameras, etc. So should I take the extra step of obtaining a TSA Pre-Check? Will this help my departure from the USA with this?

The sticker from the IAA will come in the post in time. I got mine in 2 weeks. As long as you paid the 5 Euro or what ever it is I don't remember.

As far as the pre check goes it won't hurt. I didn't have to remove any of my electronics from my carry on bag with Pre Check. I put the mavic in the fly more bag witch fit in my carry on. This year I am taking the Mavic in the Pelican Hard Case which also fits in my carry on =).

Departure from Ireland is a bit different. You will go through Security first it's run by the Irish Aviation Authority (I think) . You will have to remove the Drone and all your electronics and set them in the tray. At first I removed just my laptop and Ipad as I was instructed but I voluntarily put the Mavic in a separate tray. It was kind of funny to watch the inspectors look at it quiscially. They motioned me over and asked me if it was indeed a drone, made a joke asking me if I had been to Heathrow airport in the last month and sent me on my way. I asked them if I did the right thing taking the drone out for inspection and they stated "yes".

Maybe some others on here can tell you of the inspection process in the regular TSA inspection lanes. I have both Precheck and Global Entry so I have not been through the regular TSA screening lanes in quite some time.

Have an awesome Trip to Ireland I am not to far behind you as I am going back in September =)

Last edited:
Reactions: Roman50
The sticker from the IAA will come in the post in time. I got mine in 2 weeks. As long as you paid the 5 Euro or what ever it is I don't remember.

As far as the pre check goes it won't hurt. I didn't have to remove any of my electronics from my carry on bag with Pre Check. I put the mavic in the fly more bag witch fit in my carry on. This year I am taking the Mavic in the Pelican Hard Case which also fits in my carry on =).

Departure from Ireland is a bit different. You will go through Security first it's run by the Irish Aviation Authority (I think) . You will have to remove the Drone and all your electronics and set them in the tray. At first I removed just my laptop and Ipad as I was instructed but I voluntarily put the Mavic in a separate tray. It was kind of funny to watch the inspectors look at it quiscially. They motioned me over and asked me if it was indeed a drone, made a joke asking me if I had been to Heathrow airport in the last month and sent me on my way. I asked them if I did the right thing taking the drone out for inspection and they stated "yes".

Maybe some others on here can tell you of the inspection process in the regular TSA inspection lanes. I have both Precheck and Global Entry so I have not been through the regular TSA screening lanes in quite some time.

Have an awesome Trip to Ireland I am not to far behind you as I am going back in September =)
Thank you so much for your great information! I am looking forward to the trip and getting some great video of the experience.

Your filming was buttery smooth and the transitions just made the whole production flow nicely. It was very pleasant to watch, and of course, the scenes were breathtaking.

Admittedly, I found myself wanting a closer look at the ruins, but that's just the way I'm wired. It gives me an excuse to just go there myself.

Yes you register with the IAA (Irish Aviation authority) It's 5 Euro and you get a little sticker to put on your drone, it comes in the mail so do it long before you plan to go. I have TSA pre check so I didn't have to remove my drone departing the US. I did however have to remove my Drone at Shannon airport departing Ireland. They basically looked at it asked me a few questions and let me on my way.

Basically the airspace in Ireland is open except around the "Major:" Airports (5 miles) Shannon Dublin Cork Kerry and Donegal. There is also a no fly zone around the Aran Islands. There is a map of the airspace available online.

As well, the Office of Public Works (OPW) has said Drones are not allowed in there airspace. My understanding is as long as you take off from non OPW property they do not own the airspace above the IAA does. There is a no Drone sign at the Cliffs of Moher. Again my understanding is that you can not take off from the visitor center but you can fly off property. There is a trail that follows the Atlantic from Hags head to the visitor center. You can fly and take off from this trail. Don't take off from the parking lot as you will be asked to leave. You have to be mindful of the crowds at the Cliffs. It's a major tourist attraction that was busy even in December when I went. It was busy in April when I went. It's basically busy year round. You really need to be careful as I think the biggest complaint people have in Ireland is flying drones over people.

Be respectful, don't fly over crowds. Try and find a out of the way place to launch get your shots and move on. I didn't feel comfortable flying at a few of the more notable castles like Trim and Cashel. The crowds were heavy (even in December) and I felt the risk just wasn't worth it. I do have to tell you it was nice having a small drone. The M2P is quiet and on most shots no one even knew there was a drone orbiting them.

Also a word on the Guardai (the police) you're lucky to even see one especially in Rural Ireland. Fly safe and you should be fine.
great info, thanks! I just registered mine - we're heading to Scotland and Ireland in a couple months.. can't wait!

Reactions: BingErr
Awesome. I want to see your vids when you're back. Drop your youtube channel here and I'll sub it.
great info, thanks! I just registered mine - we're heading to Scotland and Ireland in a couple months.. can't wait!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaleUt.