DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First time M2P owner ready to order MavMount for full size iPad need shade for iPad

I also fly an M2P and use an iPad Pro because I like the screen size. From the beginning, I've used a MavMount and love it. The lanyard allows me to position the controller and iPad where it's most comfortable.
Yes! I cant wait to fly with that big iPad screen! My iPad Air 2 is like new and seems brighter than my old iPad Air (likely dull from years and years of use).

You want this super expandable 65-185mm clamp, that is super slim.

It looks chunky and wide yet I realize that the product photography does not show the 185mm version in the extended position in a rear view for a 10" iPad at least not on the website. I was ready to order last night but I already have overheating issues and that wide mount I fear would only add to it. A tablet holder with a cooling system would be pretty cool. Manned pilots using ForeFlight would use it too! ...just an idea! If you have a pic of that 185mm holder where it looks slim, please do share it. Also, is the 185mm holder made of aluminum where the metal wide part directly contacts the iPad (that might help dissipate heat!). Thanks!

Also, I cannot see this video on the website.
1657900311548.png

Last edited:
While I also already own the venerable MavMount setup, I just found that it added way too much weight for my use with a 9.7” iPad (Air 2), and settled on the much lighter and cheaper Skyreat setup.
https://www.amazon.com/Skyreat-Foldable-Aluminum-Alloy-Accessories-Controller/dp/B01N7RFDBA
The weight of the metal Skyreat mount is much more centered and ergonomic to me, and I can easily pick up the entire setup by the top edge of the iPad. It also hangs down freely from a neckstrap attached to a hole in the front of the mount, when you need two free hands.
Interesting and lightweight. Is the nut on yours made of plastic? I just wish the base wasnt solid!

I ordered the MavMount w/185mm bracket, and added a separate bigger bracket in case I add a case or McGuyver cooling invention :0) Thanks to all.

Reactions: Aerial West
I'm a MavMounrt user from way back.... I think this is possibly my 6th year using MavMount. We've traveled all over the country in all seasons and the MavMount with the Hoodman has been the way to go. If mine died today I would go online and buy a new one ASAP!!

Ours take a beating LOL! It stays in my vehicle 365 and the entire "system" is often picked up, carried, and tossed around from job to job and it just keeps going.

As you already know, the owner/creator is a very hands-on and responsive guy and if you have any problems he's on top of it to assist to the best of his ability. Talk about RARE these days . . . .

I really love to hear this. We are currently used by dozens and dozens of Fire Departments, Police departments, Sherriff departments, critical US infrastructure, search and rescue teams, the US military overseas, several US National Parks, and just recently we donated a dozen Mavmounts to pilots in the Ukraine... I just got a picture back from one of their pilots on the front lines!
We build our mavmounts to be rock solid units not just to be used on the film sets and by hobbyists, but for use for years in any situation.

I am so proud that after 6 years the quality has proven itself.

You must be one of our first customers.. Mavmount started in 2017! right here on this forum we floated the idea and I showed what i had designed.

I think Made is the USA and high quality still means something to a lot of people, and I thank you. There are tons of knock offs on amazon these days, and we appreciate your business!

MavMounts are excellent. I have a review video on them on my channel.
Thanks captain! its reviews from 3rd party people like you that often mean the most to those looking for the best option.

Reactions: RayKelly
I ordered the MavMount w/185mm bracket, and added a separate bigger bracket in case I add a case or McGuyver cooling invention :0) Thanks to all.

I see your order... it's going out today! I think you'll really like the options of two different clamps, and from there, 4 different ways to mount the ipad top or rear.

I bought a mavmount a few weeks ago and it really is a quality piece. I have no doubt it will last for years.
Glad you're loving it! I tell people that cockroaches and mavmounts will be here after a nuke goes off.
I once had the idea of driving over the Scout Mount with my FJ to show how strong it was, but someone smartly pointed out that id probably puncture my tire, ha.

Attachments

• P1000084-1.jpg
    P1000084-1.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Reactions: timinator
Interesting and lightweight. Is the nut on yours made of plastic? I just wish the base wasnt solid!
I have the upgraded metal nut, but the plastic one was fine, as long as you didn’t overtighten it. The solid base gives it the structural integrity needed. It could be a bit lighter, but the overall setup, with the iPad mounted at the rear of the base, rather than the front, is better balanced for me, using the 9.7” iPad, than the venerable MavMount.

I have the upgraded metal nut, but the plastic one was fine, as long as you didn’t overtighten it. The solid base gives it the structural integrity needed. It could be a bit lighter, but the overall setup, with the iPad mounted at the rear of the base, rather than the front, is better balanced for me, using the 9.7” iPad, than the venerable MavMount.
Where did you get the metal nut? I may get one of these for my second controller and to have a backup. Thanks!

Where did you get the metal nut? I may get one of these for my second controller and to have a backup. Thanks!
Amazon. Says currently unavailable.
The plastic nut version is currently still available. I'd get it and just be careful not to overtighten it.

Amazon. Says currently unavailable.
The plastic nut version is currently still available. I'd get it and just be careful not to overtighten it.

I found this site that sells the metal nut to replace the plastic one.

Good find, but the $25 shipping charge for a $4 part makes it prohibitive! Amazon was also selling the metal nut for $28, but currently unavailable!
Not sure if this is the correct size, but certainly a better solution. 6 spares for $7.

None of our clamp models use a attachment like that now.

We only use a direct 1/4-20 screw attachment, solid as can be. One on the back of the clamp if you want the device over the controller for balance, and one on the bottom, if you'd like the device behind the controller/able to see the controller.

None of our clamp models use a attachment like that now.

We only use a direct 1/4-20 screw attachment, solid as can be. One on the back of the clamp if you want the device over the controller for balance, and one on the bottom, if you'd like the device behind the controller/able to see the controller.
That was a question about the cheaper, lighter, alternative mount, with no disparity to yours intended.

Definitely go with the full hoodman hood for light. I use it all the time in blinding tropical settings while on location.
I designed the Mavmount to be used by real photographers and videographers, and that's why I go with a full 1/4-20 connection to be compatible if they ever want to use anything from their kit.

If you ever get past that controller, use that ballhead for your cameras... it's fully compatible!
Let me know if you have any questions. I'm about to ship items this morning!
The Mavmount is AWESOME, I love it! I bought other cheaper versions and all failed and ended up in the trash.

The Mavmount is AWESOME, I love it! I bought other cheaper versions and all failed and ended up in the trash.

Thanks friend, I'm glad you're loving the Mavmount. We get that alot. Unfortunately over the years a few people had them fail and break their device.

A few people tried to trade the cheap amazon knockoffs for a mavmount as a credit! I had to decline.

Thanks friend, I'm glad you're loving the Mavmount. We get that alot. Unfortunately over the years a few people had them fail and break their device.

A few people tried to trade the cheap amazon knockoffs for a mavmount as a credit! I had to decline.
Yup, you make a great product!
I learned the hard way- buy once cry once.

Attachments

• IMG_4669.JPG
    IMG_4669.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa