DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First time M2P owner ready to order MavMount for full size iPad need shade for iPad

pchaps

Reactions
I have been reading posts and reviews and MavMount seems to be the way to go for M2 with folding controller. I’m ready to order the MavMount for full-sized iPads. I have iPad Air 2.

Is there anything to consider. As a lifelong photographer, I consider the ballhead overkill as I on,y need tilt, but I like that overall the mount has quality build.

Next I need a shade as I work in the desert sun.

There are nice tilt-only, all-aluminium-base-&-arm brackets with a decent plastic phone/tablet holder but you'd have to do a google. I can't remember the name of the one I have and besides I have no idea where it is at the moment, lol.

Reactions: pchaps
I have been reading posts and reviews and MavMount seems to be the way to go for M2 with folding controller. I’m ready to order the MavMount for full-sized iPads. I have iPad Air 2.

Is there anything to consider. As a lifelong photographer, I consider the ballhead overkill as I on,y need tilt, but I like that overall the mount has quality build.

Definitely go with the full hoodman hood for light. I use it all the time in blinding tropical settings while on location.
I designed the Mavmount to be used by real photographers and videographers, and that's why I go with a full 1/4-20 connection to be compatible if they ever want to use anything from their kit.

If you ever get past that controller, use that ballhead for your cameras... it's fully compatible!
Let me know if you have any questions. I'm about to ship items this morning!

There are nice tilt-only, all-aluminium-base-&-arm brackets with a decent plastic phone/tablet holder but you'd have to do a google. I can't remember the name of the one I have and besides I have no idea where it is at the moment, lol.
lol thanks for the clues :)

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
I fly a Mini 2 with the DJI Fly App (V1.6.8) with two different Android devices.

This note is not about your choice of device, but rather its size and weight…

I use a Galaxy Tablet S2 (8" Screen) and a Galaxy Tablet A8 (10' screen). I prefer the S2 over the A8 because it's lighter 9-oz verses 1.2-lbs for the A8.

The extra weight of the A8 really tires me out and that weight, up high on the controller wants to cause the two to roll in my hands…

So,,, I would recommend you Pseudo-mount your IPad on your controller and just walk around for a while and see if the weight and balance is something you'll be happy with…

Here is what you may be up against, if you IPad is different, Google its weight…

iPad (6th gen) -- Height 9.4", weight -- 1.03; iPad Pro 10.5" -- Height 9.8", weight -- 1.03;

iPad Pro 12.9" (2nd gen) -- Height 12", weight -- 1.49; iPad (5th gen) -- Height 9.4", weight -- 1.03

Last edited:
Definitely go with the full hoodman hood for light. I use it all the time in blinding tropical settings while on location.
I designed the Mavmount to be used by real photographers and videographers, and that's why I go with a full 1/4-20 connection to be compatible if they ever want to use anything from their kit.

If you ever get past that controller, use that ballhead for your cameras... it's fully compatible!
Thanks. Good to hear from you. Is there a MavMount base that is taller? To raise the iPad higher over the controller?

About the hoodman — how do I access the touchscreen?

Do they also sell just the baseplate and the tablet holder if I already have a ballhead? It’s a compact magnesium Gitzo :)

About the hoodman — how do I access the touchscreen?

Read my post (#3) above with the link to the Hoodman.

It's a 2 piece design.

The lower piece has a flap that allows access to the controls.

Good point about weight. This is what I found:
iPad Air 2s: 9.4 in x 6.7in. 0.97 lbs. which I already own.
I do dream of the large screen, looks like I will pay the price with weight.

1657865452568.png Do you still make the narrow, slender bracket to fit iPad Air 2? It seems (judging from older reviews) that the bracket that holds the iPad has gotten wider and bulkier. The newer design likely is less stressful on the tablet, but I work in desert heat and prefer for the bracket to be narrow to all the back of iPad to be exposed as much as possible for cooling.
I believe that the slimmer iPad holder was made for the original "Mavic Pro" MavMount: Let me know if I can still get the older holder, but on the newest MavMount for the folding DJI controller that I use with M2P and M2Zoom. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerial West
View attachment 151790 Do you still make the narrow, slender bracket to fit iPad Air 2? It seems (judging from older reviews) that the bracket that holds the iPad has gotten wider and bulkier. The newer design likely is less stressful on the tablet, but I work in desert heat and prefer for the bracket to be narrow to all the back of iPad to be exposed as much as possible for cooling.
I believe that the slimmer iPad holder was made for the original "Mavic Pro" MavMount: Let me know if I can still get the older holder, but on the newest MavMount for the folding DJI controller that I use with M2P and M2Zoom. Thanks!
You want this super expandable 65-185mm clamp, that is super slim.

While I also already own the venerable MavMount setup, I just found that it added way too much weight for my use with a 9.7” iPad (Air 2), and settled on the much lighter and cheaper Skyreat setup.
https://www.amazon.com/Skyreat-Foldable-Aluminum-Alloy-Accessories-Controller/dp/B01N7RFDBA
The weight of the metal Skyreat mount is much more centered and ergonomic to me, and I can easily pick up the entire setup by the top edge of the iPad. It also hangs down freely from a neckstrap attached to a hole in the front of the mount, when you need two free hands.

Reactions: pchaps and BigAl07
I'm a MavMounrt user from way back.... I think this is possibly my 6th year using MavMount. We've traveled all over the country in all seasons and the MavMount with the Hoodman has been the way to go. If mine died today I would go online and buy a new one ASAP!!

Ours take a beating LOL! It stays in my vehicle 365 and the entire "system" is often picked up, carried, and tossed around from job to job and it just keeps going.

As you already know, the owner/creator is a very hands-on and responsive guy and if you have any problems he's on top of it to assist to the best of his ability. Talk about RARE these days . . . .

I also fly an M2P and use an iPad Pro because I like the screen size. From the beginning, I've used a MavMount and love it. The lanyard allows me to position the controller and iPad where it's most comfortable.

Reactions: pchaps

MavMounts are excellent. I have a review video on them on my channel.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78