DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First timers how has your experience been so far?

fleurdelisxliv

Reactions
Just curious how its been for the first time drone owners in this forum. What have you learned, are you happy with your drone, comfortable flying yet, camera learning curve and so on!

I have to say im in love! I love my m2z, yes it has gimble scratches and my legs rub but either way its amazing. I didnt rly even touch my m2z for about a week, i was so scared lol! Ive had no issues what so ever. I fly every chance i get its opened a whole new world for me. The camera has been the hardest part for me but its coming along. Starting to be able to combine flying and camera use and it makes for such a stress free flight. Well thats all i can think of at this moment, any questions i will be glad to answer. From the time i ordered during the event till now i have to say dji has been great also this forum has been great and has helped me learn alot, thank you everyone.

23e74035dfd5e26fe1c75f9063ff61da.png

Apply light outwards pressure to the motors as you fold the rear legs and they should clear the air vents.

Great to see you're having fun with the aircraft, there's a ton of useful info on these forums.

Regarding the gimbal scratches, there's a set of tabs on the underside of the nose, kinda above where the gimbal pitch bearings are. The flappy thing on the gimbal cover needs to slot under these to fit properly. (under when the aircraft is on its back)
If the flap misses these notches it can force the gimbal into an awkward spot, causing more rubbing and making it harder to get the cover on or off...

Reactions: Former Member
I've had my Mavic Pro 2 for a week now, and sadly have only gotten it up in the air twice. (stupid work and home responsibilities keep getting in the way...)- I have to say the whole flying experience is a lot more intimidating than I thought it would be. I've only flown on beginner mode, and will probably stay that way for a few more flights. I haven't gotten to the point where I feel comfortable to trust in the aircraft to let it go past it's beginner mode perimeters. As for the camera, I took a stab at video and shot a couple stills, but for now I'm just trying to get the flying part down. I've been watching a ton of videos in my down time at work, and they are really helpful. I'm really glad I found this forum- it is full of helpful advice, and everyone seems to really want to help one another.
I have to say that one of the real eye-openers for me was when I started looking into where I could legally fly the drone. Oh, well, with my learning curve being what it is, it will probably be awhile before I venture out beyond the backyard anyway...

Apply light outwards pressure to the motors as you fold the rear legs and they should clear the air vents.

Great to see you're having fun with the aircraft, there's a ton of useful info on these forums.

Regarding the gimbal scratches, there's a set of tabs on the underside of the nose, kinda above where the gimbal pitch bearings are. The flappy thing on the gimbal cover needs to slot under these to fit properly. (under when the aircraft is on its back)
If the flap misses these notches it can force the gimbal into an awkward spot, causing more rubbing and making it harder to get the cover on or off...

Thank you so much, but the way i am i had that figured out first 5 mins it was in hand

I've had my Mavic Pro 2 for a week now, and sadly have only gotten it up in the air twice. (stupid work and home responsibilities keep getting in the way...)- I have to say the whole flying experience is a lot more intimidating than I thought it would be. I've only flown on beginner mode, and will probably stay that way for a few more flights. I haven't gotten to the point where I feel comfortable to trust in the aircraft to let it go past it's beginner mode perimeters. As for the camera, I took a stab at video and shot a couple stills, but for now I'm just trying to get the flying part down. I've been watching a ton of videos in my down time at work, and they are really helpful. I'm really glad I found this forum- it is full of helpful advice, and everyone seems to really want to help one another.
I have to say that one of the real eye-openers for me was when I started looking into where I could legally fly the drone. Oh, well, with my learning curve being what it is, it will probably be awhile before I venture out beyond the backyard anyway...

I started in p mode but i have a good friend thats helped me out. We fly together when he is in from work. Hope u get more time to fly, ive had 23 flights and made some skypixel vids. I try and fly every chance i get lol

I’m in the same boat as you. I just recently got the Mavic Pro 2 about a week or so ago and now it’s just finding time to get some flights in to be more comfortable. Unfortunately I live in the northern VA area so trying to find places to fly is an adventure in itself. I’m glad I found this community though.

Reactions: fleurdelisxliv
I've owned the Zoom for about 3 weeks. Never touched a drone before. The first flight was very cautious. Decided to trust the technology and now regularly go up to 200m. Managed a few amazing shots with the camera. Just need to find somewhere nice to take it up. Loving every second of the ownership. Bought the fly more kit 2 days ago. Follow on insta to see the shots. My advice is trust the technology. Insta# the_dirty_mex

Hi All! Had my MP2 a week now and only 30mins flying so far! Very anxious as it’s my first drone so there is lots to learn & I’ve only just sussed out how to control the camera movements thanks to YouTube! I stayed in beginner mode for first flight then took it out as wanted to go a bit further but panic set in as I got a wind velocity warning & wasn’t even that high! I hit return to home & nothing happened, it just hovered so landed myself in total panic! I will be staying in beginner mode a while longer until I have mastered it a little more [emoji16]
Love it so far but having problems sussing out how to get video on to my iPhone as my laptop is too old & slow to handle 4K, have set it to HD for now.
In UK we can only go 120m high I believe unless you have a licence?
Anyway that’s high enough for me & will have to play with settings to limit it next time I’m out.
Anyone know how to set camera to shoot in HDR also how many shots does the camera take to make HDR stills, is it 3 or more?
Thanks

HI there,

I have a Mavic Air for three weeks now, my first drone ever and a very good choice for a starter. First four flights with the guards on and I couldn't believe it is so easy to fly. After getting to know how to fly a drone the guards went off and try the sportmode out (it's so fast, reached 68 km/h). Still I'm a beginner so learning the features and extra's now to get the max out of my drone.

I've owned the Zoom for about 3 weeks. Never touched a drone before. The first flight was very cautious. Decided to trust the technology and now regularly go up to 200m. Managed a few amazing shots with the camera. Just need to find somewhere nice to take it up. Loving every second of the ownership. Bought the fly more kit 2 days ago. Follow on insta to see the shots. My advice is trust the technology. Insta# the_dirty_mex

I followed on insta!

I bought my M2P the day they came out and I have yet to fly it! Between work, weather, and other responsibilities, it’s been hard. But the biggest problem so far is finding places where I can learn to fly it. We are blanketed with major airports where I live. It would also be nice to fly with someone who could show me the ropes!

I’m in the same boat as you. I just recently got the Mavic Pro 2 about a week or so ago and now it’s just finding time to get some flights in to be more comfortable. Unfortunately I live in the northern VA area so trying to find places to fly is an adventure in itself. I’m glad I found this community though.

I am in Northern VA too. If you don't know already, Fairfax County Park Authority has lifted the "ban" at their parks for drone use as of July 1, 2018 (Keep in mind that many of the FCPA locations are within the ADIZ). Lake Fairfax (Reston) is a nice open area, with many interesting photo opportunities. Algonkian Park in Loudoun Co. as well. Fly safe, have fun.

I am in Northern VA too. If you don't know already, Fairfax County Park Authority has lifted the "ban" at their parks for drone use as of July 1, 2018 (Keep in mind that many of the FCPA locations are within the ADIZ). Lake Fairfax (Reston) is a nice open area, with many interesting photo opportunities. Algonkian Park in Loudoun Co. as well. Fly safe, have fun.
Terrible, I can't even update the firmware never mind fly the thing. Just got it today and spent the last 3 hours trying to figure it out. Ya know ya figure you spend $1500 on something it might be a little user friendly. I am no computer genius but I'm not an idiot either. I'm so frustrated I had to walk away from it for a while.

Just curious how its been for the first time drone owners in this forum. What have you learned, are you happy with your drone, comfortable flying yet, camera learning curve and so on!

I have to say im in love! I love my m2z, yes it has gimble scratches and my legs rub but either way its amazing. I didnt rly even touch my m2z for about a week, i was so scared lol! Ive had no issues what so ever. I fly every chance i get its opened a whole new world for me. The camera has been the hardest part for me but its coming along. Starting to be able to combine flying and camera use and it makes for such a stress free flight. Well thats all i can think of at this moment, any questions i will be glad to answer. From the time i ordered during the event till now i have to say dji has been great also this forum has been great and has helped me learn alot, thank you everyone.

23e74035dfd5e26fe1c75f9063ff61da.png

What app are you using to track your flights?

Terrible, I can't even update the firmware never mind fly the thing. Just got it today and spent the last 3 hours trying to figure it out. Ya know ya figure you spend $1500 on something it might be a little user friendly. I am no computer genius but I'm not an idiot either. I'm so frustrated I had to walk away from it for a while.
My experience was that the controller updated the firmware ok. The Mavic2 had to be connected directly to DJI Assistant2 on a PC. Then a lot of patience. At every step the PC appeared to lock up but eventually Assistant2 would awaken and indicate that the update had progressed. Took 45 minutes to complete the Mavic2 update.
Also, if you have a limited intrrnet data plan, this could be costly.

Terrible, I can't even update the firmware never mind fly the thing.

Hang in there, Jimmy, you are not alone and I presume you've found the threads on this subject that may help you get in the air. I feel confident in saying that the odds of you having an M2 that's a lemon are very low. So, walk it off when you must but don't give up, you WILL get there.

Had the same problems, use DJI assistant via USB. Worked first time. Also directions incorrect in app for calibration, check youtube. Tried for a few days following app directions, gave followed online video, done in minutes.

Same here tryed my android phone first, get lost connection during update, then tryed my desktop PC and dji assistance the same issue. End up using my company iphone all went OK.

I was in Dale City, VA, back in late June and had a really tough time finding any place to fly. I was pulling out of one park and saw a park ranger walking up to a group of guys who were playing soccer and then I saw them all point to my car, so I assume the ranger saw my drone flying around and was looking to write a ticket. LOL, I was too sneaky and fast for him and high-tailed it outta there.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman