DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First timers how has your experience been so far?

I bought a Spark a couple of months ago and was hoping for a good black Friday deal on the MP2 or zoom. When Ebay had that 15% off up to $100 I bought a zoom with a bag and a few extras and 2 batteries delivered for $1299. I love it and it flies well. I probably have 5-6 flights and a couple of those were hovering learning camera and video setting. I can't wait until I can find so nice scenic places to fly. I found some great ones but they are all kind of NFZ?

I wouldn't say I am intimidated but I don't want to lose that much $$$ so I am cautious. I also try to engage people that are around before I launch. Most don't seem to have a problem when you explain there are rules and that I follow them. If someone has any objections I'll go find somewhere else. I haven't had to do that yet.

I still fly the spark.

Reactions: fleurdelisxliv
I was in Dale City, VA, back in late June and had a really tough time finding any place to fly. I was pulling out of one park and saw a park ranger walking up to a group of guys who were playing soccer and then I saw them all point to my car, so I assume the ranger saw my drone flying around and was looking to write a ticket. LOL, I was too sneaky and fast for him and high-tailed it outta there.

Prince William Co. LEOs often will let it go, unless you are from a Southern Boarder Country.

I'm in Noosa heads Australia and for the first week of ownership the weather has been rubbish. (I'm a first time drone owner too)
I'm also finding places to fly difficult because it's school holidays here and Noosa fills up with tourists and there are few locations where there aren't hundreds of people around. I did some early morning stuff (dawn) over the river mouth a few days ago and that was good but by the time I'd finished there were people everywhere.Noosa.jpg

I bought a Spark a couple of months ago and was hoping for a good black Friday deal on the MP2 or zoom. When Ebay had that 15% off up to $100 I bought a zoom with a bag and a few extras and 2 batteries delivered for $1299. I love it and it flies well. I probably have 5-6 flights and a couple of those were hovering learning camera and video setting. I can't wait until I can find so nice scenic places to fly. I found some great ones but they are all kind of NFZ?

I wouldn't say I am intimidated but I don't want to lose that much $$$ so I am cautious. I also try to engage people that are around before I launch. Most don't seem to have a problem when you explain there are rules and that I follow them. If someone has any objections I'll go find somewhere else. I haven't had to do that yet.

I still fly the spark.

Fly that zoom you will loooove it

Fly that zoom you will loooove it

I am, I just still fly the spark. Its easy to practice flying and video techniques with the spark. Its just less of a concern should I mess up. I think if the MP2 was a first drone it would be fine, they fly nice!

Horrible anxiety because mine hasn't arrived yet.

My Fly More kit has arrived though

Thought I'd jump in here as my first post (Hi!) and to say I just got my Mavic 2 today. First time drone buyer and flyer! (flown a work colleagues Mavic very briefly before)

So far I love it. There's plenty to learn and master. Which I'm looking forward to. Due diligence/online research helped speed up my 'first flight' experience today. 2 days shipping time and 2 days worth of 'Drone 101' videos paid off. Outdoor flights were easy. Only crash was slowly into a sofa because I didn't account for any downdraught causing drift. o_O

Outdoor views have been amazing out the camera. Out here in NZ the scenery is great, but sadly much of it is protected land requiring permits etc to even just go across it. :/

78F9213E-E28D-4A29-9362-611D08EF9C3B.JPG

I have been flying a Mavic 2 pro for almost a month now. First drone. Not much in my past to compare this to but I admit I love it. I am working on my pilot skills but I can already see the camera and video capabilities are better than I expected. My goals are simply to fly safe and have fun. I have about 50 flights now and so far my Mavic has performed perfectly. Now when I go for a health walk I take the drone on my 2 mile loop. I don’t have a dog.

Well after 81 flights and over 150 miles flown i have to say im like mcdonalds, im loving it lol[emoji23] me and my buddy try and fly almost everyday. We have both found the best thing ever [emoji106]

Got my M2P shortly after release and have 66 flights under my belt now and am really enjoying my first drone. Have there been hiccups? yes of course it's not perfect and like most if not all technology it has its shortcomings and flaws but in spite of these it still gives me lots of enjoyment. One of the things I don't like is how when you update the firmware it seems to reset settings you have changed, like the RTH altitude and turning off the flight mode switch on the side of the controller which almost cost me in a big way but lesson learned and I just double check everything now instead of just presuming everything is good to go so I guess i'm a better flyer because of this.

Good morning to fellow M2P "Droners".
Its probably fair to say I am not a total first timer, as I have been flying (and still do) an Inspire 1, for around 2 years now.
However, it is only a little over 2 weeks now since I took delivery of my show room condition, sparkling new, Mavic 2 Pro. As both the Inspire 1 and M2P are intended to be a pair of UAVs that make up my business activity, everything about the M2P, gaining CAA (New Zealand) certification etc., was being done "by the book".
From that point of view, apart from perhaps about an hour of SIM' familiarisation flying time and a couple of taxiing-type activities out front of my house, I had not taken the M2P on a serious real-time flight. The cause of this rather frustrating state of affairs hasn't all been weather and other work related either - unfortunately. Since unboxing and going through set up, using Assistant 2 for Mavic, I have not been able to successfully complete the visual calibration. Try as I might - probably ten times in all - issue after issue has been encountered during the calibration process. Ultimately, each attempt has returned as a "failed" calibration. Not really willing to fly with uncertain collision avoidance functionality.
After many conversations with DJI Support, and me expressing my frustration at not being able to resolve the problem, I received an email this morning giving me a case number and instructions to send my now slightly less than "sparkling new" M2P to Hong Kong!
A short time ago, I spoke to the DJI store I purchased the M2P from. While I can't totally hang on to consumer law here in NZ because I did buy it for business purposes, being fit for purpose will cover it, plus a very obliging store owner - who I must say has had plenty of $$$ from me for other purchases. Sadly, that DJI store is close to 4 hours drive from where I live, so M2P has been packaged up and is being rather ignominiously conveyed by overnight courier - don't have UPS or Fedx in these parts. The store owner has already said, if the problem is something which cannot be fixed with the resources available locally, then a new replacement will be sent to me, post haste, so that I do not have to worry about dealing with the DJI in Hong Kong scenario!
:(:mad:

Thought I'd jump in here as my first post (Hi!) and to say I just got my Mavic 2 today. First time drone buyer and flyer! (flown a work colleagues Mavic very briefly before)

So far I love it. There's plenty to learn and master. Which I'm looking forward to. Due diligence/online research helped speed up my 'first flight' experience today. 2 days shipping time and 2 days worth of 'Drone 101' videos paid off. Outdoor flights were easy. Only crash was slowly into a sofa because I didn't account for any downdraught causing drift. o_O

Outdoor views have been amazing out the camera. Out here in NZ the scenery is great, but sadly much of it is protected land requiring permits etc to even just go across it. :/

View attachment 48926
Well done on your first successful flight. Would like to say I "almost" recognise the scene! Maybe I can see Point Elizabeth in the distance? :cool:

I'm in Noosa heads Australia and for the first week of ownership the weather has been rubbish. (I'm a first time drone owner too)
I'm also finding places to fly difficult because it's school holidays here and Noosa fills up with tourists and there are few locations where there aren't hundreds of people around. I did some early morning stuff (dawn) over the river mouth a few days ago and that was good but by the time I'd finished there were people everywhere.View attachment 48764

That's a great shot, Noosa will be a great place to get some footage, I'm down the road at Buderim.

This is my third day of ownership and my first drone and I love it! I would have gotten a few flights in today but the wind is up there.

My first flight was in my house on sport mode (wanted the sensors off) and then out over my balcony! To say I was nervous would be an understatement but my confidence is growing. My best long single direction flight so far is 1786m...I was really nervous when a signal loss notification popped up, luckily it was only temporary and I hightailed it back :p

I found that changing the control stick layout was a big help for me, it didn't feel right with the recommended setting.

Happy flying dudes.

That's a great shot, Noosa will be a great place to get some footage, I'm down the road at Buderim.

This is my third day of ownership and my first drone and I love it! I would have gotten a few flights in today but the wind is up there.

My first flight was in my house on sport mode (wanted the sensors off) and then out over my balcony! To say I was nervous would be an understatement but my confidence is growing. My best long single direction flight so far is 1786m...I was really nervous when a signal loss notification popped up, luckily it was only temporary and I hightailed it back :p

I found that changing the control stick layout was a big help for me, it didn't feel right with the recommended setting.

Happy flying dudes.
You too.

Wacker, I wouldn't disagree and, with hindsight, I probably wouldn't do that again. I hadn't flown a drone before but had decent experience with RC cars and felt comfortable enough that I could perform small enough operations to get it off the balcony, lucky for me I didn't break the drone or the house.

It's actually much easier to fly than I thought. I have started to take off from the driveway though as the wind has picked up. I think I'll stick with that ;-)

Reactions: Wacker2611
Wacker, I wouldn't disagree and, with hindsight, I probably wouldn't do that again. I hadn't flown a drone before but had decent experience with RC cars and felt comfortable enough that I could perform small enough operations to get it off the balcony, lucky for me I didn't break the drone or the house.

It's actually much easier to fly than I thought. I have started to take off from the driveway though as the wind has picked up. I think I'll stick with that ;-)
I agree they are a piece of p*ss to fly, which can lull you into a false sense of security sometimes. They rarely crash but when they do they really do. I wasn't being judgemental but one of the riskiest things you can do is fly from the inside to outside as I doubt you would have had a decent GPS lock. As for flying inside in Sport mode, that's up to you! We're all different!

Reactions: StevietheWorm
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev