DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First week opinions of 3T

Horsefly

Reactions
Prior drone experience was 2 Zoom. Wanted 24 hour operational capability with extended wind speeds as well as offline operation.

So far this has exceeded my expectations. Off line mapping is excellent and includes topo maps as well as google sat image on the same download. You only have to go online in the restricted network mode to download the maps and then they are available with no outside connections (except for GPS) but you must be in restricted mode to see maps as they are not visible in offline mode.

Just tried a day flight on normal mode in very gusty winds that exceeded 50 kph at 30 meters and was 20 - 35 kph as I was landing. I had to change the radar mode to braking vs avoid as the AC got a bit squirrely with a combination of wind and with overhead structures nearby. I consider this near the top end of most conditions I will fly in and did get warnings but no threats of landing.

The thermal is very good. You can see paw prints at close range for a minute or so after the animal crosses. I am still working on best palate which seem to change from day to night due to temp. Resolution is good enough to see a rabbit at a 100m in a field IF the temp contrast is available.

The zoom has to be experienced to fully appreciate. I watched all the videos before purchasing but they don't do justice.

The noise level is better than the 2Z subjectively but did cause rabbits to run for cover about 15 meters above them.

Range has never been a factor as I don't fly further than about 1.5 k on CE mode but I have a known blind spot that I tested over a ridge about 200m away that I slowly drop out of sight to check for loss of signal. The new pro controller still loses signal in this spot but does reach a bit deeper. I dont have conclusive numbers on this yet but would say it is not much better in this regard than the original controller and 2Z.

I would like to get some feedback from Mavic 3 wetsuit users for extending operation into mist, fog and light rain.

Oh yeah, one last thing. The discrete mode is very helpful but a bit buggy. I set the lights off on C1 and the Strobe on C2. This seems to confuse the machine and provide unpredictable results. I am still working through this to get consistent modes established.

Last edited:
Prior drone experience was 2 Zoom. Wanted 24 hour operational capability with extended wind speeds as well as offline operation.

So far this has exceeded my expectations. Off line mapping is excellent and includes topo maps as well as google sat image on the same download. You only have to go online in the restricted network mode to download the maps and then they are available with no outside connections (except for GPS) but you must be in restricted mode to see maps as they are not visible in offline mode.

Just tried a day flight on normal mode in very gusty winds that exceeded 50 kph at 30 meters and was 20 - 35 kph as I was landing. I had to change the radar mode to braking vs avoid as the AC got a bit squirrely with a combination of wind and with overhead structures nearby. I consider this near the top end of most conditions I will fly in and did get warnings but no threats of landing.

The thermal is very good. You can see paw prints at close range for a minute or so after the animal crosses. I am still working on best palate which seem to change from day to night due to temp. Resolution is good enough to see a rabbit at a 100m in a field IF the temp contrast is available.

The zoom has to be experienced to fully appreciate. I watched all the videos before purchasing but they don't do justice.

The noise level is better than the 2Z subjectively but did cause rabbits to run for cover about 15 meters above them.

Range has never been a factor as I don't fly further than about 1.5 k on CE mode but I have a known blind spot that I tested over a ridge about 200m away that I slowly drop out of sight to check for loss of signal. The new pro controller still loses signal in this spot but does reach a bit deeper. I dont have conclusive numbers on this yet but would say it is not much better in this regard than the original controller and 2Z.

I would like to get some feedback from Mavic 3 wetsuit users for extending operation into mist, fog and light rain.

Oh yeah, one last thing. The discrete mode is very helpful but a bit buggy. I set the lights off on C1 and the Strobe on C2. This seems to confuse the machine and provide unpredictable results. I am still working through this to get consistent modes established.
What is restricted mode? Is it in the same menu as offline?

When you are in DJI pilot 2, the upper left corner has a shield symbol. Tap this and the first selection upper left is, "Network security mode". Tap this and the top right has a small blue box upper right with a pull down.

Tap this and three options are standard, restricted network mode, Local Data Mode. I run "Restricted" since it allows access to offline maps.

If you select this, be sure to turn everything off except Map Service. Paranoia is for amateurs, I'm quadranoid!

lol thanks Horsefly! I might never have found that one!

Reactions: Horsefly
Just to update this, I ran a mission last night looking for wild pigs Wind was in the 10 meters per second range with gusts to 16.2 meters per second acording to the wind vector readout. Found three pigs in brush near a fence line from 90 meters up.

Interesting fact is 16.2 meters per second is the fastest this drone has flown and that was in normal mode. I got a lot of red wind warnings but it didn't try to land.

After close to a year I am gaining a bit of confidence in this as a serious tool. Hand launched over concrete and flown down to concrete pad at end of flight.

The only thing I would change right now is the CE mode of communication.
FCC mode on the Mavic 3 Pro gives me the chance to fly in many areas where the Mavic 3 Thermal can't before losing video or even increased lag and commands from the RC Pro Enterprise get "lost" in the air, because there's a point before the total loss of signal where the camera switch don't respond anymore, and some other buttons also don't respond if the signal is too weak. Then I go immediately with the 3 Pro to take a video of the subject I discovered previously with the Thermal, and everything is so much better as I can activate the FCC mode there.
So a hack for the RC Pro Enterprise is what I need right now 😭😭

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom