DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fishing line and lake flying ...

Claudcw

Reactions
Don't know if anyone has come across this issue or not but as a new drone flyer it scared the crap out of me and made aware of hidden dangers to the drone. Flying around a lake near me and shooting the Lilly pads in the water noticed that my drone twice twitched and I immediately returned to land wondering if there was something wrong. Saw nothing wrong and continued flying with out a single issue. After killing 3 batteries I packed my stuff away and started waking back to the car around the lake when the sunlight from a different angle that I was flying originally revealed that where I had those 2 twitches was in fact 3 fishing lines stuck in trees and just dangling over the water. I got lucky and did not get stuck.

Here is the photo from my phone of the area I was flying, you cant see any line there. Just something I think we all should be aware of. I tried taking the photo from the other angle, but the phone did not captured the fishing line.

20180514_174657.jpg

I really hadn't given that much thought but I have thought about when I'm fishing and wanting to fly my drone to not cast off towards it. Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Claudcw
On a tangentially related note I did see where a guy used a fishing pole in an attempt to take down a pesky drone by casting right over top of it. I think it was a phantom.

Well hat sucks also... I did a fly over a lake by recently and there 3 kids fishing of the pier on the lake I saw one pointing at my Mavic and the other kid was cast ready but I was too high and fast for him to try, not sure if would of but there people like that out there.

HA HA, that's a pretty good shot, I'm glad the drone operated was able to retrieve his done...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580