DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fixed Wing Mode

I still don't get what the fixed wing application is. Fun flying?
If it is to fly like a plane... why not make the stick mimic a plane (push forward to go down, pull back to go up).
More or less, it does! In an Airplane you must have forward flight to stay in the air.
Therefore, if you achieve forward flight by pushing right stick forward, then the left stick controls up and down.
By setting Master mode to custom, you can change the left stick so pushing forward goes down and pulling back goes up.
Have a drone day!

Reactions: KiterTodd
This seems to be exactly what I asked for, months ago (except for the reversed pitch-up/pitch-down controls that, for a pilot, are counter-intuitive).

For those of you not seeing the use for this mode, just imagine how cinematic this scenario will now be:

You're flying very close to the ground on an elevated bank of a river gorge that leads to a waterfall. You're really skimming the ground, flying parallel to the river but the shot is not getting the river. You suddenly bank into the river bed and, as you fly over the hilly ledge, dive into the gorge, counter-banking back into the original track and suddenly revealing the waterfall in all its glory.

Pretty cool, no?

MK

Reactions: Cut.Aussie
I hear you @MavicKhan , that can be nice.

Does the left/right stick bank the aircraft like it would in a plane? The manual says "rotate the craft". To be plane-like, you want to hold a turn radius while you have input on the stick, but then when you release the stick it should go straight. If it is "rotating" ...well, I don't know what that does.

Once you reach the 3m/s on the right stick, can you then let go of that stick and have it maintain speed, or do you have to keep pressure on that stick?

Just trying to figure out plane-like controls. I do like that you can turn with either stick and I guess I'd just swap the directions on the up/down of the left stick to make it behave like fixed wing controls.

This seems to be exactly what I asked for, months ago (except for the reversed pitch-up/pitch-down controls that, for a pilot, are counter-intuitive).

For those of you not seeing the use for this mode, just imagine how cinematic this scenario will now be:

You're flying very close to the ground on an elevated bank of a river gorge that leads to a waterfall. You're really skimming the ground, flying parallel to the river but the shot is not getting the river. You suddenly bank into the river bed and, as you fly over the hilly ledge, dive into the gorge, counter-banking back into the original track and suddenly revealing the waterfall in all its glory.

Pretty cool, no?

MK

You can do all that flying normally. This mode doesn't change the flight capabilities of the aircraft at all.

Reactions: MavicMoira
Think again.

MK

About what? What part of that flight can't be done flying the drone normally? This fixed wing mode is literally exactly like flying normally with some kind of forward cruise control on. It can be replicated simply by... flying forward.

I hear you @MavicKhan , that can be nice.

Does the left/right stick bank the aircraft like it would in a plane? The manual says "rotate the craft". To be plane-like, you want to hold a turn radius while you have input on the stick, but then when you release the stick it should go straight. If it is "rotating" ...well, I don't know what that does.

Once you reach the 3m/s on the right stick, can you then let go of that stick and have it maintain speed, or do you have to keep pressure on that stick?

Just trying to figure out plane-like controls. I do like that you can turn with either stick and I guess I'd just swap the directions on the up/down of the left stick to make it behave like fixed wing controls.

Well, the images show the bank-into-bank-out-of type of movement I was looking for. I'll have to test it myself.

I think they probably also reprogrammed the gimbal to act with a semi tilt-lock in this mode.

MK

Reactions: KiterTodd
About what? What part of that flight can't be done flying the drone normally? This fixed wing mode is literally exactly like flying normally with some kind of forward cruise control on. It can be replicated simply by... flying forward.

Great. Go with that.

MK

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WinstonH