DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fixed Wing Mode

I still don't get what the fixed wing application is. Fun flying?
If it is to fly like a plane... why not make the stick mimic a plane (push forward to go down, pull back to go up).
there are a lot of reasons:
First of all we are talking about of aeronautics and the fixed wing mode is nothing more and nothing less than a banked turn, which not only turns the flight more fluid but also more efficient because conserving more kinetic energy.
There is also an aesthetic reason because will render more natural and appealing certain maneuvers while filming, of course it is a creative choice.

For me this two reasons make this mode more than welcome because a fully manual banked turn is hard to perform, especially because with a always horizontal view will be hard to coordinate.

there are a lot of reasons:
First of all we are talking about of aeronautics and the fixed wing mode is nothing more and nothing less than a banked turn, which not only turns the flight more fluid but also more efficient because conserving more kinetic energy.
There is also an aesthetic reason because will render more natural and appealing certain maneuvers while filming, of course it is a creative choice.

For me this two reasons make this mode more than welcome because a fully manual banked turn is hard to perform, especially because with a always horizontal view will be hard to coordinate.

This mode is not suitable for filming imo, it disables the gimbal. Except you're looking for footage of the route of your flight of course.I couldn't see any better than the gimbal simply went into fpv mode.

I had fun flying the mode though

Reactions: anhtu402
I take it you did not bother reading post #2.
Well I did not mean straight forward and only straight forward like an arrow released from a bow without control, I meant forward as in how a fixed (non VTOL) aircraft would fly. I apologize for the confusion.

Just my 2 cents... I've flown fixed wing RC for years, and these "controls" will completely F with my head. You can't slow down??? Only accelerate? OMG. What I'd like it to do: Left stick foward / backward = accelerate / decelerate. Left stick left / right = yaw (rudder). Right stick forward / backward = pitch down / up. Right stick left / right = roll left / right. This would give you the feeling of flying a fixed wing aircraft, with the added benefit of being able to slow down and stop to a hover if you wish. I'm not even going to try it in it's current state, as I'm 100% certain it would = CRASH for me.

This mode is not suitable for filming imo, it disables the gimbal. Except you're looking for footage of the route of your flight of course.I couldn't see any better than the gimbal simply went into fpv mode.

I had fun flying the mode though
I think this mode is for using the DJI Goggles when they come out.

Just my 2 cents... I've flown fixed wing RC for years, and these "controls" will completely F with my head. You can't slow down??? Only accelerate? OMG. What I'd like it to do: Left stick foward / backward = accelerate / decelerate. Left stick left / right = yaw (rudder). Right stick forward / backward = pitch down / up. Right stick left / right = roll left / right. This would give you the feeling of flying a fixed wing aircraft, with the added benefit of being able to slow down and stop to a hover if you wish. I'm not even going to try it in it's current state, as I'm 100% certain it would = CRASH for me.
I agree, it would be more natural, with a C2 or pause to suddenly STOP, they wanted to be over-protective and exit suddenly when moving the stick backward but this way they made it uncomfortable to use, sometimes people try to reinvent the wheel.

Reactions: Atomicbear
It's actually a kind of beta-version of cruise control - neither fixed-wing in terms of what this should really mean, nor for any filming improving. See my test

Reactions: vagdesign
Not cruise control. That would of been a better feature. It's gonna go forward and Gimbal will tilt like your flying a model airplane. Also ascending and descending will cause camera to tilt up or down to give you the feeling your ascending in an airplane etc.

Not cruise control

I don't think I would crash as my background is also in RC fixed wing and helis but I agree with you on the way it should operate . From the video I like the view it gives as if the camera is in a fixed position in the nose yet stabilized at the same time . It still seems very stable . I wouldn't even mind if left stick down exited the mode if it had to be fully down to do so but I can see a conflict in Fixed wing mode and the center stick motor shutoff command

Reactions: Kestrel
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Noobie