DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fixed wing quitting...why?

Mapleman231

Reactions
I didnt cancel or want it to. I was banking and it quit. Tried left and right sticks to bank. Even quit just going ahead no input made by me. Why?

Which stick you banking with? Whilst going ahead you have to lock it in that speed and then you can let off right stick. If no wind it will maintain that speed - bank with the left stick.

I didnt cancel or want it to. I was banking and it quit. Tried left and right sticks to bank. Even quit just going ahead no input made by me. Why?
Make sure there’s enough light for the front OA sensors to work. It will cancel FW mode of there isn’t enough light.
Which stick you banking with? Whilst going ahead you have to lock it in that speed and then you can let off right stick. If no wind it will maintain that speed - bank with the left stick.
You can bank with either stick.

Reactions: BigAl07
Yes you can bank with both but one is more severe than the other - I think one is yaw and one is left-right.

Yes you can bank with both but one is more severe than the other - I think one is yaw and one is left-right.
I think that has to do with gimbal yaw follow and not really the actual turning radius. So in other words it’s the camera jerking into the direction you are banking initially but the drone doesn’t actually turn around quicker. I’ve thought the same as you in the past that one stick is more sensitive then the other but then realized that wasn’t the whole story. If I remember my notes correctly.

I’m thinking bank is the wrong term. It just moves horizontally sideways. At least as a fixed wing pilot that is the way I think of it.

I’m thinking bank is the wrong term. It just moves horizontally sideways. At least as a fixed wing pilot that is the way I think of it.
I’m pretty sure it’s a banking turn. It does not move sideways in fixed wing mode. In fixed wing mode the aileron and rudder are joined so yaw movement is always paired with roll movement. The nose of the aircraft is always pointing In the direction of the heading of the aircraft.

Reactions: Mapleman231
I guess I'm confused. Are we talking abut fixed wing?
Isn't this a drone forum?
Apples and oranges.

Apples and oranges.
Mavic Pro has an intelligent flight mode called “fixed wing mode” which emulates the flying characteristics of a fixed wing aircraft. When in this mode the physics of a fixed wing aircraft are simulated.

The Mavic flies forward at a constant rate without input from the remote. The rudder and aileron both control the rudder and aileron simultaneously so the Mavic is only capable of banked turns and remember it is always flying forward relative to the aircraft heading. The gimbal is fixed to the attitude of the aircraft so if the aircraft rolls the gimbal rolls with it (unlike FPV gimbal mode which just poorly emulates this.) If throttle on the RC is lowered the gimbal will point down and the aircraft will pick up speed while also lowering descending emulating the elevator movement on a fixed wing aircraft and will look up and slow down if throttle is pushed up emulating elevator up on fixed wing aircraft.

It’s kinda fun and you can make it so the gimbal works as normal and keeps the video level so you can use it as a kind of cruise control for long flights orfor smoother video.

Fixed wing mode. Acts like a plane ✈️

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Mavic Pro has an intelligent flight mode called “fixed wing mode” which emulates the flying characteristics of a fixed wing aircraft. When in this mode the physics of a fixed wing aircraft are simulated.

The Mavic flies forward at a constant rate without input from the remote. The rudder and aileron both control the rudder and aileron simultaneously so the Mavic is only capable of banked turns and remember it is always flying forward relative to the aircraft heading. The gimbal is fixed to the attitude of the aircraft so if the aircraft rolls the gimbal rolls with it (unlike FPV gimbal mode which just poorly emulates this.) If throttle on the RC is lowered the gimbal will point down and the aircraft will pick up speed while also lowering descending emulating the elevator movement on a fixed wing aircraft and will look up and slow down if throttle is pushed up emulating elevator up on fixed wing aircraft.

It’s kinda fun and you can make it so the gimbal works as normal and keeps the video level so you can use it as a kind of cruise control for long flights orfor smoother video.

Fixed wing mode. Acts like a plane ✈
Is it exclusive to the MP and MPP, and therefore unavailable on the M2?

Apples and oranges.
Dont know what you own but fixed wing is a DRONE FUNCTION...so how is that not a Drone discussion? When you utilize this "DRONE" FEATURE as part of MY drone i had questions that addressed DRONE functions.So Fixed wing is about DRONES. How is that a mix? As you putit apples n oranges? Splain it to me please how its not a relevant topic about dji DRONES???

An actual fixed wing can vary engine speed/forward thrust with separate controls for pitch. Does FW mode on M1's have separate pitch and throttle? I would have thought left stick up/down might be pitch, and right stick up/down throttle. Or perhaps reverse since one tends to consider left stick as throttle. It certainly is on cheap drones with no altitude hold.

Track Fly is probably the closest an M2 can come to FW mode. I'd love to check out actual FW mode.

An actual fixed wing can vary engine speed/forward thrust with separate controls for pitch. Does FW mode on M1's have separate pitch and throttle? I would have thought left stick up/down might be pitch, and right stick up/down throttle. Or perhaps reverse since one tends to consider left stick as throttle. It certainly is on cheap drones with no altitude hold.

Track Fly is probably the closest an M2 can come to FW mode. I'd love to check out actual FW mode.
The M1 simulates this as I explained earlier by using the drones throttle control (left stick up and down) as the simulated pitch of a fixed wing aircraft. The camera pitches giving the feeling on the aircraft pitch and also descending and increasing speed or ascending and decreasing speed.

The drones actual elevator control (right stick forward) simulates increasing the throttle on a fixed wing aircraft (increases speed) though in actuality this of course increases the pitch of the M1. The camera will compensate for this increased pitch of the m1 so it is not realized from the FPV perspective. Pulling back on the elevator (right stick back) actually cancels fixed wing mode so there is no way to decrease the speed from where it was originally set when entering fixed wing mode.

It’s a emulation... It’s not bad honestly. I’m sure it’s not about to fool an actual fixed wing pilot but it’s cool and there was a good amount of thought put into it.

Reactions: Danr-62
OK, so right stick simulates FW thrust (throttle). I believe you omitted that part, stating forward speed was fixed.
You are right I did say that. It’s fixed but you can increase the speed with the right stick. If you release the right stick it will slowly revert back the the original speed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU