DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flamethrower drone, anyone?

Thinks... what could possibly go wrong...

Aerosol hornet killer sprays would make sense. Those guys are risking big trouble for themselves and the locals.

I thought it was risky too. What's to prevent the tree itself to catch fire?
Really?? have you ever tried to burn a live tree? Not so easy.. Almost no chance of the tree catching fire.

Really?? have you ever tried to burn a live tree? Not so easy.. Almost no chance of the tree catching fire.
You must not have been following the news lately.

If a downed power line, or a kid with fireworks, or a discarded ciggie butt can start massive wildfires on the west coast, or anywhere else for that matter, what do you think a couple of doofuses spraying ignited gasoline from the air might achieve? It's just plain idiocy, they oughta be incarcerated.

Last edited:

If a downed power line, or a kid with fireworks, or a discarded ciggie butt can start massive wildfires on the west coast, or anywhere else for that matter, what do you think a couple of doofuses spraying ignited gasoline from the air might achieve. It's just plain idiocy. IMO
More to it than just that. ?

If a downed power line, or a kid with fireworks, or a discarded ciggie butt can start massive wildfires on the west coast, or anywhere else for that matter, what do you think a couple of doofuses spraying ignited gasoline from the air might achieve? It's just plain idiocy, they oughta be incarcerated.
I'm guessing you have never been involved in doing controlled burns, I've done quite a few along the way. Live trees like that are just not that easy to burn, a lot of times you are burning the surrounding vegetation while letting those trees stand and thrive.
Dont listen to all the garbage you hear out of california. Most of their news is manipulated to fit their agenda!

Reactions: technut
So weird, the Chinese can create a virus that can infect every country on earth and basically bring the worlds economy to a sudden halt but they cant figure out how to kill a hornets nest without jury rigging a drone

So weird, the Chinese can create a virus that can infect every country on earth and basically bring the worlds economy to a sudden halt but they cant figure out how to kill a hornets nest without jury rigging a drone
I'm thinking it was an ingenious idea!! Lots of times those things are way out of reach, a bucket truck would only get the operator stung , most everything would get the operator stung , Kudos to them

My dad's palm tree branch hit the power wire which did cause that branch to briefly catch fire a few times and eventually break off. We happened to be coming back from a walk and watched it, hoping it would not cause a sustained fire.

It did trim the tree though that we had asked the electric company do for months.

I really don't think those guys would do anything really risky. I don't think there burning wasp nest in an area were the fire danger is high, like it is in CA

I really don't think those guys would do anything really risky. I don't think there burning wasp nest in an area were the fire danger is high, like it is in CA
I'm sure they have some sort of support crew on the ground, and pay attention to weather conditions and such. They don't just fly around willie nillie spraying the trees with flammables!

Wow! This thread took a turn!
Forest Fires, Politics, etc.

On the subject, Aerial Flame Thrower.
This isn't new, it's several years old... and still a sweet payload for the correct need. Another company offers a fireball drop system too.

You realize it won't be a common purchase, it requires an M600Pro, plus the $3k for the Payload. Although, I am seriously considering to add to Ag Aerial services to use with 2 M600Pros.

Above someone stated gasoline... this doesn't use gas... no flame thrower uses gas.. It uses diesel or a mixture of diesel and agents to help it stick or burn hotter, such a napalm. Different burn rates and ignition rates.

Controlled burns within Ag is a big ordeal in Fall after harvest. Ditch burns, Pest control, igniting old structures, and power line debris removal are probably the most common for this payload. It's use is primary Ag, with Public service, Fire Dept, and others.

Above is correct, a controlled burn doesn't effect the living trees in the sector, at most it may stunt the tree for a very short time. The burn of debris is so rapid, it doesn't stay in one place very long... it's moving across the field or ditch.

The concern of living trees and a flamethrower damage based on West Coast events is so incorrect, the West coast is a forest fire, not a controlled burn and are due to the massive thick dead underbrush and fallen trees not removed. The ignition wasn't caused by living trees, it was igniting the ground debris and the uncleared dead standing trees between living trees. This is thick kindel that burns slow and eventually drys out the living branches... also keep in mind this underbrush is much more dense and a produces a hotter burn compared to grass and cornstocks... or spraying a few cups/pints of diesel onto living bark & Hornet nest. The burnoff of the diesel is so rapid, Temps remain low and surface burn on the tree is more burning off the diesel than effecting the bark.

The West coast ordeal, as impacting and sad as it is for population, if sectors are not humanly cleaned & maintained it reverts to Nature and the course of burn off is natures way to clean up and provide new surface to regrow. That's not what densely populated areas desire... but if not maintained as in historical past, huge burns will be more common.

The Aerial Flame Thrower is a 1 Gal tank with a small spray pump and igniter at end. To most, has little practical use, but to various industries and proper use, it's a superb tool for many jobs.

Reactions: dronerdave and A.O.
Just noticed the articles was on the Chinese "copy". There is a very nice system, USA made for years, made by a company that only makes flame throwers and assiciated additives.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer