DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flamethrower drone, anyone?

Wow! This thread took a turn!
Forest Fires, Politics, etc.

On the subject, Aerial Flame Thrower.
This isn't new, it's several years old... and still a sweet payload for the correct need. Another company offers a fireball drop system too.

You realize it won't be a common purchase, it requires an M600Pro, plus the $3k for the Payload. Although, I am seriously considering to add to Ag Aerial services to use with 2 M600Pros.

Above someone stated gasoline... this doesn't use gas... no flame thrower uses gas.. It uses diesel or a mixture of diesel and agents to help it stick or burn hotter, such a napalm. Different burn rates and ignition rates.

Controlled burns within Ag is a big ordeal in Fall after harvest. Ditch burns, Pest control, igniting old structures, and power line debris removal are probably the most common for this payload. It's use is primary Ag, with Public service, Fire Dept, and others.

Above is correct, a controlled burn doesn't effect the living trees in the sector, at most it may stunt the tree for a very short time. The burn of debris is so rapid, it doesn't stay in one place very long... it's moving across the field or ditch.

The concern of living trees and a flamethrower damage based on West Coast events is so incorrect, the West coast is a forest fire, not a controlled burn and are due to the massive thick dead underbrush and fallen trees not removed. The ignition wasn't caused by living trees, it was igniting the ground debris and the uncleared dead standing trees between living trees. This is thick kindel that burns slow and eventually drys out the living branches... also keep in mind this underbrush is much more dense and a produces a hotter burn compared to grass and cornstocks... or spraying a few cups/pints of diesel onto living bark & Hornet nest. The burnoff of the diesel is so rapid, Temps remain low and surface burn on the tree is more burning off the diesel than effecting the bark.

The West coast ordeal, as impacting and sad as it is for population, if sectors are not humanly cleaned & maintained it reverts to Nature and the course of burn off is natures way to clean up and provide new surface to regrow. That's not what densely populated areas desire... but if not maintained as in historical past, huge burns will be more common.

The Aerial Flame Thrower is a 1 Gal tank with a small spray pump and igniter at end. To most, has little practical use, but to various industries and proper use, it's a superb tool for many jobs.
Most controlled burn drippers use a mix of 60% diesel and 40% gas... At least where I've been, I'm sure that varies..

And good reply..

Reactions: Dougcjohn
Most controlled burn drippers use a mix of 60% diesel and 40% gas... At least where I've been, I'm sure that varies..

And good reply..
Great Point and you're correct for drippers.
The Throwers can be thinned down also, but not as common.

Great Point and you're correct for drippers.
The Throwers can be thinned down also, but not as common.
Makes sense..

I've used the drippers, never had the pleasure of operating an airborne flame thrower though... dang!

Makes sense..

I've used the drippers, never had the pleasure of operating an airborne flame thrower though... dang!
Ha! I haven’t either, but it looks like a terrific way to quickly start a field burn line or run down a ditchway. It’s on my list, but few items in Ft.

Reactions: A.O.
@Dougcjohn I'm womdering were you got your info on flamethrowers, saying no flamethrower use gas is not true. In fact most everything I read says most do use gasoline or propane or a mix of gas and diesel.
Most military flamethrowers use liquid fuel, typically either gasoline or diesel, but commercial flamethrowers are generally blowtorches using gaseous fuels such as propane; gases are safer in peacetime applications, because their flames have less mass flow rate and dissipate faster, and often are easier to extinguish ...

People also ask​

What fuel does the boring company flamethrower use?
The flame on the Boring Company Flamethrower is pretty underwhelming. It looks just like the kind of flame you get from a propane torch. Meanwhile, real flamethrowers look like this. This is the Ion MX42, which burns gasoline, a gas/diesel mix, or ethanol, resulting in a 30 foot stream of fire.Jan 31, 2018

@Dougcjohn I'm womdering were you got your info on flamethrowers, saying no flamethrower use gas is not true. In fact most everything I read says most do use gasoline or propane or a mix of gas and diesel.
Most military flamethrowers use liquid fuel, typically either gasoline or diesel, but commercial flamethrowers are generally blowtorches using gaseous fuels such as propane; gases are safer in peacetime applications, because their flames have less mass flow rate and dissipate faster, and often are easier to extinguish ...

People also ask​

What fuel does the boring company flamethrower use?
The flame on the Boring Company Flamethrower is pretty underwhelming. It looks just like the kind of flame you get from a propane torch. Meanwhile, real flamethrowers look like this. This is the Ion MX42, which burns gasoline, a gas/diesel mix, or ethanol, resulting in a 30 foot stream of fire.Jan 31, 2018
Ok, some can use gas. I was more focused on controlled burns.