DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flattened blades? How do you pack your drone?

scro

Reactions
A lot of people report that blades seem to lose their pitch after a while, with the thinking that they slowly flatten out. I've yet to really notice this on my MM, so was wondering how people pack the drone in its case? I have the dji case like probably many others, and I always lay the props over each other for the front pair and the back pair, so that they're pointing at the opposite motor. This way they should not get any undue pressure on them as there are pads in the case to press against the drone body. Anyone else pack their blades like this and yet have had the "flat blade" effect, particularly on the rear blades? I can see how the blades could get squashed and flattened if they're not stowed overlapping each other. It may also bend the blades down enough that they start hitting the arms/body when spinning.20200412_160227-01.jpeg20200412_160245-01.jpeg20200412_160357.jpg

Attachments

• 20200412_160416.jpg
    20200412_160416.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 61
@StubbornSwiss that's an interesting prop holder for the front ones. I presume it just misses the pad on the underside of the case lid? I'm also still using the original set of blades, from Nov 19, with no issues noted yet. I'm curious to know if I've just been lucky so far, or whether there's a link with blade life and storage technique

Last edited:
@StubbornSwiss that's an interesting prop holder for the front ones. I presume it just misses the pad on the underside of the case lid? I'm also still using the original set of blades, from Nov 19, with no issues noted yet. I'm curious to know if I've just been lucky so far, or whether there's a link with blade life and storage technique

No problems with fitting in the case whatsoever.

In my opinion, the blades have got to be the most delicate parts on the drone. You can do damage from just picking it up wrong! I have no idea how anyone can think you could just throw this drone in a pocket, backpack or bag, without ample protection. Even just extending the arms, one has to be careful.

Like I said..... I look after my blades. I check then before and after every flight for nicks or chips. I place my thumb on the bottom of the blade and forefinger on the top, and slide it lightly from the root to the tip to see if it is anything but smooth. So far so good.

I am using the same clips printed on my Ender 3. They work well and I too have had no problems with props.

Yes they work great. I don't have a printer (YET!!!), but a gentleman on these forums was kind enough to print me a set, as well as boxes for the combo case that fit under the RC and Charger.

20200118_091914 (1008 x 567).jpg

Reactions: scro
I'm of the very same opinion about the blades. I, too, am nervous of damaging them even when unfolding the arms.

I wonder if you could share the files for those holders? I have a contact with access to a 3D printer :)

I got my Mini last week and one of the first things I noticed was a slight deformity on the trailing edge of one of the left rear blades. Which just happened to correspond with one of the nubs on the gimbal cover. So far it's flying fine with no issues

I'm of the very same opinion about the blades. I, too, am nervous of damaging them even when unfolding the arms.

I wonder if you could share the files for those holders? I have a contact with access to a 3D printer :)

OK...... so like I said, a kind gentleman helped me print the blade holders, but I believe these are the files he used.

Mavic Mini Wing Holder Clips

Cheers!

Reactions: scro
A lot of people report that blades seem to lose their pitch after a while, with the thinking that they slowly flatten out. I've yet to really notice this on my MM, so was wondering how people pack the drone in its case? I have the dji case like probably many others, and I always lay the props over each other for the front pair and the back pair, so that they're pointing at the opposite motor. This way they should not get any undue pressure on them as there are pads in the case to press against the drone body. Anyone else pack their blades like this and yet have had the "flat blade" effect, particularly on the rear blades? I can see how the blades could get squashed and flattened if they're not stowed overlapping each other. It may also bend the blades down enough that they start hitting the arms/body when spinning.View attachment 98525View attachment 98527View attachment 98529

I'm a bit confused...

Is it important order blades cross one over another, or does it not matter at all ?

From my point of view, there are four different options: I simulated here using a bit of photoshop:

option a) upper screws out
mm opcion a.jpg

option b) upper screws in
mm opcion b.jpg

option c) upper screws shift right
mm opcion c.jpg

option d) upper screws shift left
mm opcion d.jpg

What's the right option ?

I'm very afraid damaging propellers, please help

R.

Hi Raul, I haven't found a better/worse order to interleave the blades in. The opposing pitch of the blades on opposite sides conveniently means all the blades lay neatly on top of each other regardless of order.

The key point is to ensure the rear motor blades stay stacked together as you put the drone into the case. If one or 2 blades flop about under the power button/cooling vents area of the drone body then the drone will sit down on that blade and potentially squash it against the pad in the case. Same goes for the front motor blades, though they are easier to keep stacked together since they are on top of the drone when it is in the case.

Hope that makes sense! Difficult to describe in words - much easier to demonstrate.

PS - I guess you're the same Raul from the Tello forum?

I'm a bit confused...

Is it important order blades cross one over another, or does it not matter at all ?

From my point of view, there are four different options: I simulated here using a bit of photoshop:

option a) upper screws out
View attachment 99504

option b) upper screws in
View attachment 99505

option c) upper screws shift right
View attachment 99506

option d) upper screws shift left
View attachment 99507

What's the right option ?

I'm very afraid damaging propellers, please help

R.
I like your pics and concept of taking them but I have a question for you. In your pics, especially in option a and b pics, it looks like you cut off the outer half of the blades. Why does it look like that?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54