DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Those replacement Props you see on ebay or Amazon are not made to OEM standards. I just bought non-oem props. Let me tell you about it.

Don Testme

Reactions
So, I had a little brush with some wires, then some branches at a later date with my OEM props. They were starting to look a bit worn and the orange pieces were coming off. I thought I'd by some replacements just in case.

So, I by this 8 pair pack, 1 double bladed prop unit or (blade pair) for each motor. This package sold 8 prop units. Thus, you get 4 blade pairs and a second set of 4 in case you ruin the 1st four. . The price was the same for 4 OEM prop units. So I figured I would by the eight pack for the same price. It boasted lighter weight and longer flight times.

I take these new props out of the box and instantly notice how thin and flexible they were compared to the OEM units that came with the drone. You could easily surmise they would bend easily during high-speed maneuvers or if you were to add a payload to your UAV. I wondered how much bend they could handle before snapping. They were made so much thinner than the original props.

MY ADVICE: Stick with the original OEM props if you plan on high flight speeds, fast altitude increases or carrying payloads. Otherwise, those props are going to bend. How this bending would affect lift is a concern to me.

I carry payloads a lot. I couldn't risk having weak bending props when I take off with a payload. I feared they would snap or have poor lift performance due to their increase in bending. It would also be likely that the motors would have to spin faster to compensate for the reduced lift from bending. Thus, these new cheep weak bending blades might stress the motors and imcrease the heat made by the motors.

So, I just stored the cheep non-OEM blades unless I plan on flying without payloads. Then I bought normal OEM blade pairs x4 instead of x8. The four oem blade pairs were the same price as the cheep non-OEM blades.

I also bought some highly rigid carbon fiber blades, in hopes that their rigidity will increase lift without the expense of increased stress and heat levels on the motors when lifting payloads. I suspect the higher the rigidity the less the motors will have to spin to create the same amount of lift or force.

I believe that quite a few places sell "OEM".
Personally I would NOT use the term OEM for props manufactured for and sold by DJI and their authorised agents, I would use the term "DJI".
I am aware that many folks consider "OEM" to mean original equipment manufacturer but WHERE is there a legally binding definition that states that such items are made to the same specifications as DJI props. I therefore consider any "OEM" stuff to be pattern parts and probably inferior to DJI parts.
From the description given these OEM props aren't weight balanced, for something removing at 10,000+rpm I think that might be fairly important.
From a recent thread in here the supposed cost saving in buying pattern props is minimal and the money possibly completely wasted.
I bought a second hand Mavic mini that came with a box of pattern props, some of those blades were so tight on their pivot-screws that the screws would not go all the way through the blade hubs, needless to say they all went in the bin.

Last edited:
I had a similar issue with a set of “OEM” props for my MPP. Too flexible. Under hard maneuver, the tips would hit the drone.

Reactions: JTZ and Don Testme
I have had very good results with the Master Airscrews on my drone They are very brittle! but they work well and they are a tad bit quieter. I don't use Carbon Fiber blades with my drones, I did try some three bladed Carbon fiber ones once but they have lots of vibration in them.
on the plus side they make the drone sound mean

Why not call them by their proper name, DJI.
There is no advantage in using OEM and it leads to ambiguity since obviously some parts branded OEM are not supplied via DJI.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: rp6, Torque and JTZ
Why not call them by their proper name, DJI.
There is no advantage in using OEM and it leads to ambiguity since obviously some parts branded OEM are not supplied via DJI.
OEM is an accepted way of saying genuine manufacturers goods and I have seen it used everywhere.

In my opinion and use, When referring to DJI aircraft I say the props or batteries are OEM as they are supplied directly by the OEM, in this case DJI. Whereas 3rd party or aftermarket equally applies to NON OEM.
That's how i've always said it. I have 3 OEM and 2 aftermarket batteries for my P3.

For a while now, DJI was out of stock for the M3P props. A lot of eBay and amazon stores claimed OEM... but further investigation revealed not the case. I did find a store on eBay that was a DJI approved distributor and am now awaiting blades bought from them. After purchase, DJI sent me notification that theirs were back in stock.

I still don't think that should be applied to parts that come via DJI.
Why not? It stands for Original Equipment. It is used in manufacturing in every industry in the world. OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer and is supposed to mean manufactured by a company who manufactures the part for the Original manufacturer of a product (in this case dji). Unfortunately now it is mis-used as a term for any manufacturer who makes the part.

I guess we could say OEM, but add DJI at the end to clarify the M part of OEM. OEM DJI parts. OEM Dodge Parts, OEM Chevrolet Parts, OEM Autel Parts. etc etc or OE by DJI or OE by Dodge etc etc.

Reactions: a2tomm
OE or OEM IS the grammatically proper way to reference items from the manufacturer. Why is that so difficult to understand?
I agree. That's what I always believed. When I buy something that says OEM, I know it is from the manufacturer that made my product and is the original part that came with the product when I purchased it.

If you get something other than that and the advertiser is calling it OEM, they are guilty of False advertising.

Reactions: Torque
My 2 cents,I have used several NON oem props over the years mainly thru ebay and alliexpress and at the moment I use MAS props on all DJI drones mainly for the color and until I find a better prop (not the no name) props I will continue .I must admit MAS get brittle over time so a close eye is needed .A year ago my Air2s lost 1 part of a prop but made it home over a mile away .Ironically it broke at the base.

Reactions: Torque
OEM is an accepted way of saying genuine manufacturers goods and I have seen it used everywhere.
OEM and OE are completely different. OE is a part that is not only manufactured by the original company but to the specifications of the item originally supplied. OEM only means it was manufactured by the company that supplied the item that originally came on the product. An OEM item may or MAY NOT be manufactured to the same standards or specifications as the Original item. The problem gets more complicated with items from China because they will call everything OEM because they have few standards for manufacturing. Remember as early as 2011 they had FAKE Apple stores selling fake iphones

Last edited:
OEM and OE are completely different. OE is a part that is not only manufactured by the original company but to the specifications of the item originally supplied. OEM only means it was manufactured by the company that supplied the item that originally came on the product. An OEM item may or MAY NOT be manufactured to the same standards or specifications as the Original item. The problem gets more complicated with items from China because they will call everything OEM because they have few standards for manufacturing. Remember as early as 2011 they had FAKE Apple stores selling fake iphones
That may be true but I maintain my position that OEM is an accepted way of saying genuine manufacturers goods and I have seen it used everywhere in my circles. It may be different in yours.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser