DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flight Anxiety...

can we try this for a change?.... are there others that do not have a scary story of there own to tell? Like mine- 5 years Piloting, 0 RTH button presses, 0 Crashes, 100% glitch recovery in a few moments. 1 return to DJI return (Mavic Pro gimble vibration issue) customer service was perfect 7 day turn around new replacement UAV. Boring!

Pilots want drama, explosions, fiction, free replacements for pilot errors and most of all knowledge from experienced pilots. This has been my experience with DJI aircraft and piloting obviously I think its important to share.

...• Upsetting others around me when I fly. Seems there's always some anti-drone person around...
If there are others around, fly straight up to at least 200' and then out. At that height my MP is barely noticeable. Yours may be different so adjust accordingly.
...• The police showing up because of some complaint. Even if I'm doing everything by the book, I'm not a confrontational person, so I would quickly acquiesce if told by authorities to stop flying and move on...
Do not hover over people. It will creep them out and make them complain. If the police do show up, do not be confrontational - be informative. If they tell you to move then move. It is not an argument you will win.
...• Rules, rules, rules. Am I flying over too many people? Is this gathering of people considered a public event? Am I five miles away from an airport? Am I five miles away from the nearest helipad?...
If there are people around, fly high and do not hover over them. Fly around them instead of over if possible. Distance to airports is easy to determine with a map. I do not worry about helipads (of course I do not fly right next to one) but I also keep it below 400' and within VLOS so I can see a helicopter before it gets close.
...• Am I on private or public property?
• Am I disturbing someone's privacy?
• Is the drone too loud?
• Is it legal to fly here? Is it legal to fly above whatever I'm above?...
For the private/public property and legalities, do your homework. Check the area on a map. Read the aviation guidelines for your area.
For privacy and noise, like I mentioned fly high and do not hover over people.
...• Will I lose the drone? Will it flyaway?
• Do I have all the settings correct?
• Will I crash land and make a fool of myself?
Read and understand the manual and Go 4. Verify that your home point and RTH settings are correct. Go to an open area, keep it close, and learn to fly without looking at the screen. Once you are airborne, unplug your display so you can practice flying without Go 4. Then you will be more confident in your abilities when (not if) Go 4 crashes.

Learn to fly before you get into the camera settings and the "intelligent" flight modes. Pay attention to your battery indicator and start your return before it is recommended since the indicator is just an estimate and does not take wind direction and speed into account. Watch crash videos on YouTube. They will show you what not to do.

The more you fly, the more you will trust yourself and your equipment.

I am similar to OP. First-time drone flyer and I have only flown my MP twice since January :(. There are airports everywhere and I find it difficult to find a location that I feel I won't bother or be bothered.

I do not worry about anything. Worrying is going to help anything,what is going to help tho is checking everything before you fly at certain areas to make sure everything you do is totally legal. Do your preflight inspection to make sure it’s good to go then just fly and keep your mind on what the mission is that you are there for. If my bird falls out of the sky,oh well,that’s what I have insurance for. There’s a chance every time you take it out that it may not come back and you have to be ok with that. Out of the several birds I’ve had one dropped out of the sky from a battery malfunction.

I can't fly without shaking hands. It fucks up my videos all the time because they are not smooth!
Twaah. Try cinema mode it is very forgiving and works well when learning new moves. Careful with distance it stops slower also

I am similar to OP. First-time drone flyer and I have only flown my MP twice since January :(. There are airports everywhere and I find it difficult to find a location that I feel I won't bother or be bothered.
I suggest loading up the car for a day of capturing aerial beauty. Pick some spots research nfz, air-traffic and the spot you will be standing to make sure of no trespassing. And go have fun. Planning missions is part of the fun.

Reactions: JDasenbrock
Not a bad idea. I would like to find some spots close to home to get work on my experience.

Heading for Florida soon, but worried about TSA and places to fly at my destination.

Man I sound pathetic...

I do not worry about anything. Worrying is going to help anything,what is going to help tho is checking everything before you fly at certain areas to make sure everything you do is totally legal. Do your preflight inspection to make sure it’s good to go then just fly and keep your mind on what the mission is that you are there for. If my bird falls out of the sky,oh well,that’s what I have insurance for. There’s a chance every time you take it out that it may not come back and you have to be ok with that. Out of the several birds I’ve had one dropped out of the sky from a battery malfunction.

I've had my M/A about 15 days now and I fly twice a day, every day, 2 batteries in the early Morning like 6am before the heat and wind and 2 batteries around 7 pm when the sun goes behind the Mtn The temp drops below 100 and the wind dies down.I'm putting a lot of time learning to move the sticks slowly, no jerky movements. Also control going under and around the bushes photographing the rabbits that inhabit my yard. They don't seem to be bothered by the drone following them around.

Not a bad idea. I would like to find some spots close to home to get work on my experience.

Heading for Florida soon, but worried about TSA and places to fly at my destination.

Man I sound pathetic...
No worries I have flown with Mavic and Phantoms and I always carry on. Take your UAV to Florida. The best camera is always the one you have with you. Same with UAVs

can we try this for a change?.... are there others that do not have a scary story of there own to tell? Like mine- 5 years Piloting, 0 RTH button presses, 0 Crashes, 100% glitch recovery in a few moments. 1 return to DJI return (Mavic Pro gimble vibration issue) customer service was perfect 7 day turn around new replacement UAV. Boring!

Pilots want drama, explosions, fiction, free replacements for pilot errors and most of all knowledge from experienced pilots. This has been my experience with DJI aircraft and piloting obviously I think its important to share.
Only mishaps I’ve had with a drone is a battery on my one i1 taking a crap on me and shutting itself off 300 feet off the ground at 40 mph. Almost had to go get the shovel to get parts of it out of the ground.

No worries I have flown with Mavic and Phantoms and I always carry on. Take your UAV to Florida. The best camera is always the one you have with you. Same with UAVs

No worries with batteries, etc? I have everything in a small case with foam inserts for the various pieces and parts. So one battery mounted in drone and the other in it's own spot. I don't fly much and I don't want to give them any reason to hassle me.

I've also read that state parks in FL are no fly zones. Lots of airports.

I've had my M/A about 15 days now and I fly twice a day, every day, 2 batteries in the early Morning like 6am before the heat and wind and 2 batteries around 7 pm when the sun goes behind the Mtn The temp drops below 100 and the wind dies down.I'm putting a lot of time learning to move the sticks slowly, no jerky movements. Also control going under and around the bushes photographing the rabbits that inhabit my yard. They don't seem to be bothered by the drone following them around.

Try flying in cinematic mode. Movements are slower and smoother.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka